Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone

Need professional help!

Details

Time: Planted tank was set up 10 days ago
    Tank dimension: 2ft
    Substrate: amazonia powder and normal. A few layered rocks
    Lights: 2 aquazonic t5 (24watts each) and beamwork led (0.5w x 4 8hrs a day (Intend to have a 1 hour break in between from today onwards)
    Co2: 3bps (Started yesterday only)
    Fertilisers: Seachem flourish excel (Once every 2 day at recommended dosage), Seachem Potassium ( Once every 3 days at recommended dosage)

Other info: Water change twice since flood day. 20-25% change.
    Other info: Plants are pearling, japanese hairgrass are spreading.

Problem

1) Just notice lots of brown coloured dusty spots/specks on both plants and the rocks. Attached is the picture (Picture 3,4,5)
    2) Bugs on plants? Attached is the picture. (Picture 1,2)

[Sorry for the poor resolution, If it is too blur may I humbly request for you phone number. Will send u a clearer picture]

Kindly advice:

1) What are the brown spots?
    2) What is the bug and is it harmful?
    3) What have I done wrong and how to remove/control the spots & bugs?

Thanks a lot everyone! Much appreciated!
    Stanley

10608827_10152677874918713_1525850909_n.jpg
    10656337_10152677875078713_1717163111_n.jpg
    10656220_10152677874878713_213692012_n.jpg
    10656265_10152677874908713_882970344_n.jpg
    10660934_10152677874868713_1049098148_n.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HELP! Algae and bugs!

Those "bugs" look like common pond snails... i guess they hitched in with your plants. They are relatively harmless, though some people find them unsightly as they can start reproducing in large numbers if left unchecked. You can just manually remove any that you find and hopefully keep their numbers low.

At this early stage in the tank setup, the brownish algae on the leaves are probably just diatoms (very common in new tank setups), see if you can remove them by using your finger to rub them off, they should be easy to wipe away. Diatoms will usually disappear on their own as the tank matures (replaced by green algae), or after the tank is cycled and you add otos and shrimps, they will also help eat it up too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh I see, I guess the diatoms are pretty harmless? Will it affect plant growth? Is there anyway that I can keep the diatoms growth in check without introducing livestock?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Diatoms are not harmful but if they start to coat all the plant leaves then it may limit the light that the plants get and looks unsightly.

If there are no algae eaters to help eat them, then you'll just have to manually clean the leaves when doing tank maintenance, it can be abit tiring to clean every single leaf though... thats why otocinclus are so popular in planted tanks, because they constantly do the tedious leaf and tank glass cleaning jobs for you 24x7.

Not much you can do to significantly control diatom growth in new tank though (its a common and expected occurrence), other than to do regular tank maintanence, ensure your plants grow well and let the tank mature and the cycle to establish. After that algae eaters will help to keep it at bay.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok, I guess I have to the hard work of cleaning it bit by bit. The water parameters are way to dangerous now for oto, haha! Perhaps I shall do bigger water change and hope that the water parameters drop to a safe level as soon as possible. Thanks for your help once again!