Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Aplocheilicthys spilauchens (Lampeye) Pregnant?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Aplocheilicthys spilauchens (Lampeye) Pregnant?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a school of 10, about 6females and 4 males in my 38gallon planted tank.

I noticed that my females are getting rounder and there are tint of pink on their belly. Are they holding eggs?
    If so, should i add a breeding mop (those for killie) and let it collect the eggs?
    Or can I just leave them and let them lay the eggs on my hornwort/javafern. If left alone, will the eggs hatch?

Cheers.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can someone please advise in the above question?

I can't register an account at www.killies.com cos they don't accept the hotmail & yahoo accounts.
    Last edited by benny; 29th Mar 2005 at 09:15.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by cs_sg
    Can someone please advise in the above question?

I can't register an account at www.killies.com cos they don't accept the hotmail & yahoo accounts.
    PM/email Timebomb, he is a member now as well.
    Last edited by benny; 29th Mar 2005 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you

I'll try contact him.
    I think my female lampeyes are in 'labour' soon from the look of their round bellies...
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Hi Chyrl,

The killie forum was never configured to disallow MSN and Yahoo email addresses. Your registration was rejected due to duplicate account using the same email address. As far as I can tell, "cs_sg" was registered as member since July 5th 2004.

If you're not yet in contact with "Timebomb", please attempt a log in with your password and if that doesn't work, email me.

Regarding your questions about Aplocheilichthys spilauchen, spawning behaviour is similar to lampeyes and a mop is recommended if you wish to remove the eggs for incubation in a separate container for maximum fry survival. Further information on this species can be found here. Good luck and keep us updated.
    Last edited by benny; 29th Mar 2005 at 09:21.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Hi Chyrl,

The killie forum was never configured to disallow MSN and Yahoo email addresses. Your registration was rejected due to duplicate account using the same email address. As far as I can tell, "cs_sg" was registered as member since July 5th 2004.

If you're not yet in contact with "Timebomb", please attempt a log in with your password and if that doesn't work, email me.

Regarding your questions about Aplocheilichthys spilauchen, spawning behaviour is similar to lampeyes and a mop is recommended if you wish to remove the eggs for incubation in a separate container for maximum fry survival. Further information on this species can be found here. Good luck and keep us updated.

Hi Ron
    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried to login using the username and I was successful! Silly me.. I must have registered and tried to 're-register' again.

My female lampeyes have lost that round bellies ..and I saw some eggs on the java moss.
    I read that article on killies.com but I was not able to collect any eggs so far.
    I added a mop in the tank but took it out a week later when the fish won't go near it.

I have 8 pencil fish in my tank and I suspect that they must have eaten those eggs.
    Last edited by benny; 29th Mar 2005 at 09:18.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Rescaped my 20cm cube tank and left the lampeyes in a basin without lights for 3 weeks, just noticed frys in the water!

Anyone had any sucess in rearing them?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had, although I've totally no knowledge of killes.

Basically, I took out the eggs from the tank they were in, and put them in a seperate tank. They hatched somehow.

I raised them entirely on Liquidfry and crushed flakes. I've no idea how they made it on just these feeds. But they don't grow very fast.

Best is to go to killies.com and surf around. A ton of useful info there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Byron, if you're referring to the common 50 cent lampeye at the LFS, those are probably Poropanchax normani. These will produce very small fry that require microscopic foods in the early weeks of their life. After that stage they will be able to handle small daphnia and newly hatched BBS from hence on they will be easily raised to eating tubifex. Once they start feeding on worm foods or any high protein foods they will have a burst in growth rate.

You're welcome to join us at killies.com/forum for any queries regarding killifish.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.