1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Help to confirm ID of bucep

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I have recently acquired this bucep and would like to confirm its actual name. It was known to me as red shoot from the seller.

A video for clear view,

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help to confirm ID of bucep

there are many names going around.
    by the leaves and the colouration, a few names an be surfaced, biblis or even kedagang. thats the fundamental names i go by. nothing too fanciful now.. too sick and tired of all the namings. wanna try to standardise certain varients...
    order your buceps here!
    Bucephalandra SG

order your fishes here. get quotes now!

email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

care to share your tank spec?
    order your buceps here!
    Bucephalandra SG

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How can there be standardize if there are difference in the leaf shape, location where it's found, shape and color of flower (if it flowers) and way of growth?

Sorry if I am abrupt bro Armageddon, but I believe there are many trading names, there will still be difference depending on source and also trust of the source.
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Its true. However too many of us are way too obsess with the exact location of the plant where we totally ignored the macro picture that such plant has a certain acceptable degree of genetic similarity. A different location can have similar plant.

Customers whom have brought from me understand my ideas of standardising the names as such that we will be able to identify on first glance the generalised type it should be. Than further prop into the finer details. Eg that is good is when buceps naming is not as crazy as it is now, people standardise the names.

Like for example, round is round. Straight is straight. 1 2 3 4 5 are the potential averaged expected size of the plant leaves growth. Red is referring to a certain degree of redness etc.

This picture showed a new red leave. To my observation, an identical buceps show a varient in their colours is also pretty much influenced by the environment. As such that in 1 setup it showed dark tone. Slow flowering brilliant silver dust effects. But in another, its completely reversed. However still look as magnificant. Such situation, can 1 be called red shot while the other black shot? But in reality its the same plant we will be referring to.

A boy have to be called a boy and a girl a girl. U should not be calling a boy something that is not able to be linked.

I hope u know what i meant.

In general, i found that there are only about 7 to 8 distinct types of buceps and the rest are the much finer details. Which beginners are best introduced these major varieties and major colourations first than probe into finer depths such as the flower, the rizhomes, size differences etc...

Many things come hand in hand. However we should be responsible and let everyone be mindful too. I got to admit i started obsessed with the major varieties too. But after seeig so much, realised its not practical and darn confusing on the primary educational standpoint of a bucephalandra.
    order your buceps here!
    Bucephalandra SG

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see.. So in general, brownie species is brownie, irregardless of it's sub-species of 'blue', 'purple', 'brown', 'ghost'?
    As long as they follow a certain characteristic in their leaves, coloration, they can be called brownie family?

From my knowledge, there is another kedagang species. Kedagang round which has round leaves, but the initial kedagang which I have gotten 4 years back has long leaves.. So which is the actual kedagang?
    Round is round, straight is straight, I agree.
    But I believe you have kept bucep for sometime, even a single clump or carpet of bucep, same species, will portray a different leave coloration, even different leaves shape at times. So how to gauge this species? The clump or carpet has different species?

We are all learning and progressing with more knowledge of the plant, but I feel we shouldn't just plainly 'generalize' bucep just because there are unscrupulous suppliers with tons of trading names. There will still be correct ones out there.
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh ya... When I was told it is red shoot, I am thinking which series should it belong to? The number of buceps being explored and named are getting people crazy. I did some check before but on a closer look, it does not look like both biblis or kedagang. The closest I could find from is Bucephalandra sp. "Red shoot" Sanggau.

http://www.tao.url.tw/newfile_50.html

Please assist to verify.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
    care to share your tank spec?
    Hi Armageddon,

The buceps are now in my one and only 3ft tank. I am overloading them with co2 and temp at 27c.

It is now in a messy scape now, I am just trying o grow them while planning for an Amazon scape from the current Iwagumi scape to house a few species of apistogramma, Hopefully I can get every thing in order by December.

I welcome any comment or suggestion you have in Amazon scape with buceps.