Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

HC Leaves turning white and silky white stuff

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Some patches of my newly planted HC is turning white with white silky thread like stuff around them.

Are they dying? Is the white silky stuff algae?

photo(12).jpg

About 10% of my HC patches have this issue. is it something that I done wrong?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HC Leaves turning white and silky white stuff

It could be mold or fungus feeding on the residual nutrient gel or melting HC which are still in transition... they will usually disappear once all the nutrients in that area are consumed.

If the wispy thread like substance starts to turn brownish, then it could be filamentous brown diatoms (ie. synedra), relatively common in new tanks setups and will also usually disappear as the tank matures. Anyways, when you add in shrimps (after the tank is cycled), they will also help eat it up.

If the threads start to turn green, then it'll be hair/thread algae.

Either way, you can manually remove those wispy thread-like substances with a pair of tweezers or tooth brush (just twirl it into the brush and remove).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am looking at an increase from 10% to 30% of the HC population turning white and silky. Is there something I did wrong. Anything I can do to ease the transition?

I have been dosing co2 60-80 bubbles per min. Giving them 6-8 hours of T5HO light a day. Did I overdoes co2? Iron,? Nitrogen or any of the liquid nutrients?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    I am looking at an increase from 10% to 30% of the HC population turning white and silky. Is there something I did wrong. Anything I can do to ease the transition?

I have been dosing co2 60-80 bubbles per min. Giving them 6-8 hours of T5HO light a day. Did I overdoes co2? Iron,? Nitrogen or any of the liquid nutrients?
    Did I read wrongly, 60-80bpm? I would think it's too much, or are you using those very fine glass bubble counters that flow insanely fast?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

60-80 bpm is 1-1.3 bps.

That's not a lot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by atolylica View Post
    60-80 bpm is 1-1.3 bps.

That's not a lot.
    oh yah, hahaha thought was 60-80 per second

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do me I always adjust according to the bubble flow coming out of my counter instead of counting the bps, more of gut feeling and estimation

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For co2, i think its better to check your co2 checker whether is it in green colour range. Different tanks different needs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by atolylica View Post
    60-80 bpm is 1-1.3 bps.

That's not a lot.
    Yeah, thats actually a rather conservative bps injection rate for his tank size... considering that its a 4ft tank with volume of around 297+ liters (as mentioned in his other tank setup thread).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I read before that if the cycling tank has only plants inside, one can increase the co2 bubble rate, even to the extend of the co2 checker turning yellow. Increase in co2 can help boost plant growth?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wuguidan View Post
    I read before that if the cycling tank has only plants inside, one can increase the co2 bubble rate, even to the extend of the co2 checker turning yellow. Increase in co2 can help boost plant growth?
    Yeah, without any livestock in the tank, its okay to keep higher Co2 levels. The ample carbon supply allows the plants to fully utilize all the available light and nutrients for maximum photosynthesis and growth.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, without any livestock in the tank, its okay to keep higher Co2 levels. The ample carbon supply allows the plants to fully utilize all the available light and nutrients for maximum photosynthesis and growth.
    i have always wondered what if i on purpose injected more co2 to increase co2 levels and ran an airpump at the same time, does it counter each other?
    if doing so would it be advisable to run a air pump aswell to give oxygen for the bb to break down nitrate levels? or would that be counter productive as it will reduce the "higher" co2 levels for the plants?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by markus92 View Post
    i have always wondered what if i on purpose injected more co2 to increase co2 levels and ran an airpump at the same time, does it counter each other?
    if doing so would it be advisable to run a air pump aswell to give oxygen for the bb to break down nitrate levels? or would that be counter productive as it will reduce the "higher" co2 levels for the plants?
    Well, extra surface agitation from air pumps would increase the rate of Co2 off-gassing at the water surface, so it is abit counter productive as you'll need to inject more Co2 to make up for the losses.

If your tank has alot of plants which are actively photosynthesizing (ie. pearling), the oxygen levels will be at maximum saturation levels, so the livestock and beneficial bacteria would be getting alot of oxygen already, hence an air pump during this period isn't necessary.

What most people do is schedule their timers to only activate the air pump after the lights and Co2 injection are off. The air pump will then help in maintaining higher oxygen levels in the water during the non-photosynthesis period.

Note that in heavily planted tanks (especially for those with relatively low bio-loads), very often the high amount of oxygen production during the active photoperiod is usually more than enough to also retain high oxygen levels throughout the night and sustain the livestock comfortably, so air pumps tend to be more of an optional item for such tanks.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the detailed explanation to solve my headache.
    To sum it up time to get another timer to activate the air pump when my co2 and lightnings are off