Country
    Singapore

Advice on plant type, livestock

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,
    This is my 5 month old tank and I've recently rearranged the plants in there and added the bogwood/javamoss a month ago.

Can anyone please advise which other plant would go well for this tank?

There are a few Echinodorus species in this tank on the right hand side. Besides crypts, is there any other plants that you may suggest?

The foreground plants, APP and H. micranthemoides (MM) are waiting to grow in more after the trim.

This tank uses 2x1.5L DIY Yeast mixture for CO2 injection. (about 1bps)

I've started dosing the Lushgro Aqua and micro one month ago.
    Still trying to find a balance to not over-fertilizing the tank.

Tank images:
    http://www.freewebs.com/chyrls/planted38g.htm

Tank Size: 90 x 40 x 40cm
    CO2: DIY Yeast Mixture
    Lighting: 3x 20W Flourescent tubes.
    FAN: 24hrs a day, maintaining average temperature of 27 deg midday.

Fauna:
    3 Nannostomus nitidus (Green Neon pencilfish, Glittering pencilfish)
    3 Nannostomus beckfordi (Golden pencilfish, beckfordi pencilfish)
    10 Aplocheilicthys spilauchens (Lampeye)
    2 Pseudepiplatys annulatus (Clown killie, Rocket panchax)
    6 Otocinclus affinis (Dwarf otocinclus, Oto)
    1 Neocaridina sp 'malayan' (Malayan shrimp)
    2 forever-pregnant guppies (Blue mosaic) & their bunch of <1inch kids. (approx. 20 fries)

IS my livestock enough for this tank to supply the NO3 for the plants?
    My H. Polysperma shows signs of pinholes on the old leaves 2 months ago. The new growth seemed more compact after the liquid fert but yesterday, I noticed that there are some pinholes appearing again. (Potassium deficiency?)

Many thanks in advance for any comments & advices.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advice on plant type, livestock

Seems to have good growth starting up, and with the heavy feeders (HM and hygros) you should need to keep the CO2 and fert (search and read the Estimate Index) up to keep them in good shape (as the pinholes on the hygro indicate - probably need more K). The HM (formerly MM) could easily overwhelm your entire frontscape.... you will need to do lots of pruning later. Your lighting is on the low side for the tank (most people use at least 30Wx4) but it's working out for you, don't change it.

Apart from crypts, you could use smaller echinos like E. parviflorus Tropica or Ozelot, or medium sized Anubias like A. barteri, coffeefolia...Intersperse some Rotalas (macandra or indica) to break up the green and maybe centralise the large echino on the right a little bit....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the pointers, Budak.

The CO2 injection in this tank needs to be modified actually. I'm still trying to figure out how to DIY the reactor for it.

I have 2 E.'Ozelot (green). I have just replanted one of them infront of the Bacopa, and moved the log of javamoss to the right, infront of the other sword.

The largest echinodorus on the right is recently trimmed. When the new leaves grow, it will be leaning more towards the centre. The leaves are growing too big and if moved more central to the tank, it will block the light for the E.'Oriental' in the right centre.

Don't the Rotalas (macandra or indica) require a much higher lighting?
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

HMs are "reputed" to be high light plants too, but if yours are growing well, there's no reason why Rotalas (indica does pretty ok with low to mid lighting) shouldn't, if your CO2 (go for a steady 25-30 mg/l) and fertilating levels are good.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looks like you have alot of plants for the tank, wait for them to mature before you decide, like what budak said, HM needs high light and they do grow quite tall, so I feel the position right now, isn't the best of place. looking at the polysperma, your light isn't enough (tips usually turns reddish under high light)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:01ec75c497="Simon"]looks like you have alot of plants for the tank, wait for them to mature before you decide, like what budak said, HM needs high light and they do grow quite tall, so I feel the position right now, isn't the best of place. looking at the polysperma, your light isn't enough (tips usually turns reddish under high light)[/quote:01ec75c497]

I have to agree that I have quite alot of plants for this tank.
    I even had to place a rock on the bogwood, cos there's no more space for it

I have just added an extra 11W PL clip on light for the left side of the tank, hope that makes a difference.

The H.polysperma's tips only has a tint of pink when its closer to the lights. somewhere 3/4 to water surface.

Can you tell if thats the 'green' or the 'sunset' variation?
    Many thanks.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the veins on the sunset var. should be visible, the green var. doesn't have it

just curious, how come you not considering changing the light setup?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c1d7747c0e="Simon"]the veins on the sunset var. should be visible, the green var. doesn't have it

just curious, how come you not considering changing the light setup?[/quote:c1d7747c0e]

Mine has the visible vein. So that should be the sunset variation.

Reason 1:
    More light = higher temperature > not good for moss?
    I have only 1 240V fan turned on 24hrs a day.

Reason 2:
    Due to my DIY CO2 injection, even if I increase my lighting, I'll probably get more algae problem than a better growth?

Since I only had the Echinodorus and moss, I thought I didn't need it.
    The Bacopa receives the morning and afternoon sun as where it is cos that side of the tank is near the window. I bought this plant emmersed from the farm, and it also seemed to be doing ok under this lighting

I am looking for a used 1x36PL flourescent actually.
    Initially I was going to get another Dymax 2x20W type but its too bulky and I wanted to try a PL light.

I bought the APP (by mistake) and the HM was doing alright. Probably that was due to the kind offers from juggler and his magic touch before :P

I decided to make this bigger tank a low ligh tank and the 15G a higher light one and moved all demanding plants there.

EDIT: When I said the plants doing 'OK', its because they have not die on me 'yet' and sent out new shoots.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Since you get some natural light, I think I must counter si's suggestion for changing the light setup. As long as your plants are growing ok, adding more light (ceteris paribus) will most likely only feed algae.

When you can, I would really suggest you shift to CO2 cylinders, which will give you much better control and lower operating costs in the long term (both cost of equipment and time).

juggler's HM is legendary, i must agree.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IF I want to measure how well my DIY CO2 dissolved in the water column, which are the test kits I should use?

The pressurised CO2 system will have to wait.
    My parents don't allow it in the flat.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

same way as another other.... measure your KH and pH and use the standard chart (or the calculator on AQ). Use baking soda to achieve a target KH (4-6 is good) and then CO2 output is adjusted until the pH recorded denotes the desired CO2 level. Shame that your parents don't allow it though, it's not more dangerous than a baking oven or any gas-device in the kitchen, you only need to ensure it won't fall over and the regulator's secure.... i currently have a spare 5 litre cylinder and regulator set if you can convince your parents.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So, I just need a KH & PH test kit?
    Do I need NO3 test kit as well?
    Which brand should I get?
    I have a small fishstore nearby which I can get one, but the owner doesn't know much about the test kits when I asked him the last time.

Is my current livestock level ok? Or do I need more so that my plants will have more NO3 from the fish?

I'll remove all the guppies when they grow out more to their own 2footer.

Dad is paranoid with the pressurised cylinder. If it is out of his sight (ie. placed in my bedroom), then probably I may get a chance of getting one sestup.
    His grandchildren visits once a month, and I don't want to be around to watch over them all the time.

I don't mind the doing the DIY CO2 mixture actually, it only takes 30mins max to do all 6 bottles.

Managing this tank is an good learning process for me.
    I would like to achieve a tank of healthy growing plants using the DIY CO2 method. I hope to pass on the hobby to younger kids who normally can't afford a pressurised CO2 system.

If juggler could do it, I believe I can as long as I keep trying.....
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?