Country
    Singapore

Hydra-like things on the tank wall

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I noticed there are the above things on my shrimp tank. They are green in colour and have long tube body with tentacles hanging out. They are very small just like hear algae. I tried to touch one and it shrink into a small bud and come out after a few seconds later. I even scrape the thing off with my pincer and it sink down and cling to anything below and start off like nothing happens. At first I thought they are magnificent algae but when I feed my shrimps when frozen blood worms , they can cling the bloodworm retract to a bud for a few seconds before releasing. This make me worry for my future shrimp fry. What are they? aglae or is it hydra? cos I thought hydra can move.... Anyone can provide me a website on hydra cos I lose the link to hydra and cant relocate the thread.

Specification:
    - 2ft tank with lapis-similar gravel.
    - PH7 KH7.5
    - Temp 27degC
    - External filter
    - APP, Moss wall, Toninas, frogbits
    - only shrimps (about 100pcs)
    - 2x36W PL light for 8 hrs
    - CO2 for 8hrs.

Btw, I do have BBA in the tank.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Thanks David.... and Holy shit they are the ones!

Any cure or any thing I can do to remove them. I siphon some of them out already but there still some on the APP... hear me shout : HELP!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    i saw 1 eating my baby cherry. sian
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To remove freshwater hydra, read this

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/hydra.html#1
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d8da8a911b="David"]To remove freshwater hydra, read this

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/hydra.html#1[/quote:d8da8a911b]

Thanks David, That is very useful. I would be trying the hydrogen peroxide technique. Btw, where can I get the stuff, from any pharmacy? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, you can purchase hydrogen peroxide from any pharmacy.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No problemos bro.......

Hope you get rid of the Hydra.......just for a quick note.....I have heard that Ghost Shrimps are able to get rid of hydra as well........but they will get rid of alot of other things too......

BCLee

How are you?.......H2O2 abit risky leh.....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Ghost shrimps? The hydra are in my shrimps tank... I think the ghost shrimp will whack my cherry, bee shrimps and recently bought CRS first bfore whacking the hydra. I have snail in the tank but not sure whether it is the one mentioned in the link? Look similar but mine is only 1cm big. I dun want to use the electrolysis method cos the tank will need to have major water change after that and it not good for the shrimp. Really want to ....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no need to lah......just perhaps use the Gourami way?.....perhaps the H2O2....but I dont know how the shrimps are going to react....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Hi David, will 3 spots Gourami whack shrimps? Sound like you oppose the idea of using hydrogen peroxide.. is it that is will kill the useful bacteria in the filter? I never use hydrogen peroxide before and doesn't know what it is till I bought one bottle of hydrogen peroxide from NTUC unity healthcare, oh it a antiseptic solution ... I'm thinking of treating the hydra and BBA at the same time... one stone kills two pest.
    Will dwarf pufferfish whack the hydra? Just bought 2 last week to whack the snails. They are in my quarantine tank and intending to put them into the shrimp tank later this weekend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The problem with using one living organism to eradicate other is that the former may quickly become a problem by itself......if the 3 Spot Gourami is able to attack Hydras, they may turn on your shrimps.......there could be a possiblity.

Regarding H2O2, I have never used it and using it without fully understanding the chain reaction may lead to a worse conclusion than to start with....I think Juggler would be the best person to answer your question....

Sorry I cannot help you further than what I have posted....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:589b5ac92b="David"]Sorry I cannot help you further than what I have posted.... [/quote:589b5ac92b]

Dun say that. If not for info, I will think they are "special aglae". Thanks,I will pm Juggler for more info.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Hi I try some H2O2 directly onto the hydra and it does not seem to be working... so I remove the infected APP and put them into a pail of water and add boiling water into the pail for 20 minutes.. haha.. I nearly forgot I had been soaking the APP in hot water cos I'm busy siphoning the hydra that were on the tank wall with a air hose.

I had used 1.5ml of H2O2 for 2 consecutive days.... Luckily, no casualty of the shrimps and some of the BBA are turning pinkish.

My question is : do hydra stay at one area or they stay near the tank wall? I only eradicate the hydra that are visible to me, could there be some more further inside the tank?

Thanks.