Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 3Ft Mound scape

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    When you say low tech I am assuming no co2? I have been trying to keep another nano too and still looking for a solenoid to pump co2 into it. How do you keep your red plants red?
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, no CO2... Part of it is choosing red plants that grow well in low tech; in this case Ludwigia sp. red and AR mini. High lighting/good nutrient mix helps. For low tech tanks, I find that dirt mixture does better than aquarium substrates. The organic decomposition and bacteria action in dirt releases quite a bit of CO2 and organic carbons (similar to in nature). Aquarium plants also root better in dirt. Finding a dirt mixture that works may take a bit of experimentation. Too much organics/ammonia and algae issues abound, too little and the benefits of using dirt diminish.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
    Some more pics:

Dennis, may I know what are those 2 black squarish devices at the front right top corner of your tank? What are they used for? Are they some kind of wave maker? Where can I get them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Amazing growth without co2.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stream View Post
    Dennis, may I know what are those 2 black squarish devices at the front right top corner of your tank? What are they used for? Are they some kind of wave maker? Where can I get them?
    They're cheap pumps ha, but they work well enough - I'm using a slightly under-powered filter for this tank. The lower pump sucks in CO2 bubbles from the outflow and sprays them horizontally, the upper pump sprays upwards to create some surface agitation/aeration. You can find them at Seaview or similar shops

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The lower pump sucks in CO2 bubbles from the outflow and sprays them horizontally, the upper pump sprays upwards to create some surface agitation/aeration.
    I thought this was a low tech tank. Where did the Co2 bubbles from the outflow come from?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Filet-O-Fish View Post
    I thought this was a low tech tank. Where did the Co2 bubbles from the outflow come from?
    Low-tech? The other smaller tanks in the thread are low-tech. This one is most definitely high-tech, it's impossible without good CO2 - whether in terms of coloration or plant density.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Low-tech? The other smaller tanks in the thread are low-tech. This one is most definitely high-tech, it's impossible without good CO2
    Opps! Mistaken.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Finished another 15 gal... Mostly budget build from leftover materials. 2 X Ikea desklamps for lighting, dirt substrate, inline diffuser for CO2.

HC carpet, hemianthus glomeratus background, ludwigia sp. red, H. tripartita, staurogyne repens. CO2 wasn't tuned properly when I went for holiday, so some of the older growth is crap

Feedback Score

Excellent. Two thumbs up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Finished another 15 gal... Mostly budget build from leftover materials. 2 X Ikea desklamps for lighting, dirt substrate, inline diffuser for CO2.

HC carpet, hemianthus glomeratus background, ludwigia sp. red, H. tripartita, staurogyne repens. CO2 wasn't tuned properly when I went for holiday, so some of the older growth is crap

Awesome! My crayfish will love to go into that caves and stay there, haha. Thumb up !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

wow.. impressive.. i really hope i can achive something like yours..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow...amazing setup.

Well if the peacock mantis shrimp is freshwater will be fantastic to house it inside the cave.
    PEaceful outlook , death from the abyss
    hahaha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skytan View Post
    Wow...amazing setup.

Well if the peacock mantis shrimp is freshwater will be fantastic to house it inside the cave.
    PEaceful outlook , death from the abyss
    hahaha.
    Thanks guys...
    Yaman I really like mantis shrimp, haven't tried any salt water tanks yet though

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, you really have a beautiful tank!!
    I have a few questions for you. You mentioned on post no. 28, you try to maintain PO4 at 5-7ppm. Is this a little high as I read that for EI method the target is 1-2ppm.

Also, assuming high light heavily planted setup with CO2. What is the target ppm for Ca and Mg. Assuming no lime stone in tank and change water with Singapore tap water. Should I dose with MgSO4 and CaCo3 or just Seachem Equilibrium will do? How often to dose?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow two nice scape you have!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by CP View Post
    Hi, you really have a beautiful tank!!
    I have a few questions for you. You mentioned on post no. 28, you try to maintain PO4 at 5-7ppm. Is this a little high as I read that for EI method the target is 1-2ppm.

Also, assuming high light heavily planted setup with CO2. What is the target ppm for Ca and Mg. Assuming no lime stone in tank and change water with Singapore tap water. Should I dose with MgSO4 and CaCo3 or just Seachem Equilibrium will do? How often to dose?

Thanks!
    Actually the ppms doesn't matter much as long as they are non-limiting (unless you're dosing say nitrates lower to get a limiting effect, for getting some plants redder). Depending on your plant mix and growth variables, dosing more or less may help. The values can vary quite a bit. For example, Tom barr uses 5-7ppm phosphates for his tanks with higher lighting. Magnesium-wise, he has some tanks up to 20ppm. It doesn't mean more is better, but quite often it's harmless. (except wasting fertilizer). Most people around here seem to get by without dosing Ca or Mg, which are both present in the water supply abeit at lower concentrations than in hard water countries. Seachem equilibrium should suffice.

I do dose a low level of MgSO4 - effectively adding 3-5ppm of magnesium into my tanks every 5 days. Whatever methodology you choose - whether is it to dose lean or heavily, remember that consistency is important; plants change their physiology to adapt to environmental variables and rapid changes cause instability, algae issues etc. Each time a large change is made, some time must be given for the tank to stabilize/adapt before evaluating the impact of the change. For example, plants take up to a week to tune their rubisco enzyme which is responsible for CO2 assimilation - so changes to CO2 levels will take up to a week or more to see full response from plants

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually the ppms doesn't matter much as long as they are non-limiting (unless you're dosing say nitrates lower to get a limiting effect, for getting some plants redder). Depending on your plant mix and growth variables, dosing more or less may help. The values can vary quite a bit. For example, Tom barr uses 5-7ppm phosphates for his tanks with higher lighting. Magnesium-wise, he has some tanks up to 20ppm. It doesn't mean more is better, but quite often it's harmless. (except wasting fertilizer). Most people around here seem to get by without dosing Ca or Mg, which are both present in the water supply abeit at lower concentrations than in hard water countries. Seachem equilibrium should suffice.

I do dose a low level of MgSO4 - effectively adding 3-5ppm of magnesium into my tanks every 5 days. Whatever methodology you choose - whether is it to dose lean or heavily, remember that consistency is important; plants change their physiology to adapt to environmental variables and rapid changes cause instability, algae issues etc. Each time a large change is made, some time must be given for the tank to stabilize/adapt before evaluating the impact of the change. For example, plants take up to a week to tune their rubisco enzyme which is responsible for CO2 assimilation - so changes to CO2 levels will take up to a week or more to see full response from plants
    Thank you for your advice!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually the ppms doesn't matter much as long as they are non-limiting (unless you're dosing say nitrates lower to get a limiting effect, for getting some plants redder)Whatever methodology you choose - whether is it to dose lean or heavily, remember that consistency is important; plants change their physiology to adapt to environmental variables and rapid changes cause instability, algae issues etc. Each time a large change is made, some time must be given for the tank to stabilize/adapt before evaluating the impact of the change. For example, plants take up to a week to tune their rubisco enzyme which is responsible for CO2 assimilation - so changes to CO2 levels will take up to a week or more to see full response from plants
    Good point. Change, Hold, Observe.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Woa, I like this scape most. Really impressive of the cave idea and sand road.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast