Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My first big tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Alright after posting numerous times at Jacky's thread, it's time to create a thread of mine. Currently i have a 1.5 feet tank with some simple plants and 5 Amano shrimps. This tank serves as my first planted aquarium setup and main purpose is only to experiment with plants hence there isn't much aquascaping done. I also have a smaller 35cm tank that has no plants due to the presence of apple snails. A simple aquascaping was done. In the tank lives the apple snails, Glowlight Tetras and Amano Shrimps.

However currently it is positioned infront of my service balcony window which has the morning sun shining in. As a result, there were temperature fluctuations and a bloom in algae. Now i'm planning to build a bigger aquarium setup in my living hall that is shielded away from direct sunlight.

As of now, i have purchased a 60cm x 45cm x45cm tank, 1 driftwood, some rocks and a U.P. Aqua Pro Z-20 LED light (i will need 2 more). I'm also using some drift wood which i've gotten from my colleague. I've sent an email to Aqua Fishtanks (http://aquafishtanks.com.sg) that was recommended by bro Jacky to custom make the aquarium stand that suits my current furnishing colours. The design is largely based on Jacky's design which i find simple and practical.

Aquarium Stand Design02016.jpg

The following is also what i need to complete my setup:
    1. EHEIM Professional 3 [350] or EHEIM Professional 4 [250], depending on my final water volume after all the hardscaping done. I require between flowrate of 900-1000L/h due to my tank size which measures to around 121.5L before addition of hardscapes.
    2. 2x more U.P. Aqua Pro Z-20 LED light 60cm
    3. CO2 System. I'm currently looking at ANS Professional 3L C02 system
    4. ADA New Amazonia 9L
    5. Seachem Excel, Flourish, Potassium, Iron
    6. API Master Test Kit & KH/GH Test Kit

With so much to purchase and with limited funds, i can only purchase them one by one while maintaining my current setups. So bear with me as this project slowly becomes a reality. Meanwhile below is what i've tought of for my setup:

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

The slope will look more complete after adding in the substrate. As advised by bro Ryan, the rear of the tank will be higher than what you see here. Initially i plan to have an island layout, but i realised no one will really be viewing the tank from the sofa side, so the main view point will be what the picture is showing. The rocks will also be spaced slightly apart.

Front of tank will be carpeted plants. Mid of tank and rear of tank still thinking of which plants to get.Will be getting 1-2 Grow plants.

1. Foreground - Elatine hydropiper or Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
    2. Mid ground - any suggestions?
    3. Background - any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My first big tank

2 more sets of up aqua pro z you will have a better funds to get a better lighting.. you could get a chihiros a series at $79 and you can grow almost any plants with the light.. whats good is it comes with a 7 stage dimmer too.. just one set of it will save you more money..

As for plants you might wanna get those stem plants with smaller leave like rotala indica red and green for the back ground.. they are easy plants.. for mid ground you could try repens or japonica.. plants wise more bro could help you better.. as i just plant what i like and dont know much of plants name..
    Good fish ain't cheap... Cheap fish ain't gd...

Breeding Apisto inca and Apisto guttata...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' is a good choice for foreground plants. I have never needed to trim it so far. It will cover all over the foreground nicely.

For the midground,Rotala Bonsai is good too. It is a very beautiful plant with lush colour!

For Background plant, you can choose some fast growing plants at first. It would help to absorb excessive nutrient and prevent algae bloom at initial period. You can change it later once the tank is stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

looks like your rocks are of different kind?

for the light, I will suggest you get Green Element EVO 3Wx24 instead of UP?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    looks like your rocks are of different kind?

for the light, I will suggest you get Green Element EVO 3Wx24 instead of UP?
    Should be. They were placed together in the shelf at C328 whichout any list of what rocks they are. Hmm now that i realised they were different rocks, how should i go about it?

Also, i've already purchased 1x UP light yesterday(unfortunately before i posted here), should i continue to purchase the UP? I believe i cant mix 2 different lights together unless they emit same power and light temperature.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

you bought everything from C328?
    you can bring them back for exchange if you have not destroy the packaging.
    as for rocks, there shouldn't be any issue for exchange too...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

you bought everything from C328?
    you can bring them back for exchange if you have not destroy the packaging.
    as for rocks, there shouldn't be any issue for exchange too...
    The tank, big rocks and light is from C328. Only the 2 small rocks in the middle is from elsewhere. How do i know if the rocks are all the same since there are no labels to say what rocks they are?

Lights wise, havent even open up 😂 Only taken out to test it. The Green EVO 3Wx24... Just one is enough?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Have to base on your own experience then .. or invite me to lunch and I help you see.. :P

I am using that in my setup and yes, only one ... you can take a look...
    Although I am fighting BBA now... you can see that my MC is creeping nicely

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...escape-in-2015

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have to base on your own experience then .. or invite me to lunch and I help you see.. :P

I am using that in my setup and yes, only one ... you can take a look...
    Although I am fighting BBA now... you can see that my MC is creeping nicely

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...escape-in-2015
    Well if i got experience i wouldn't have taken rocks of different kind. 😂

Definitely need your assistance to see or maybe i can ask C328. Ah thats nice. Really like the looks of MC. Haha

Edit: Oh wait. It appears that the 4 big rocks on the left side of the tank is the same kind, while the right large rock and the 2 small ones in the middle is different. Am i correct?
    Last edited by chesterchuen; 3rd Jun 2016 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' is a good choice for foreground plants. I have never needed to trim it so far. It will cover all over the foreground nicely.

For the midground,Rotala Bonsai is good too. It is a very beautiful plant with lush colour!

For Background plant, you can choose some fast growing plants at first. It would help to absorb excessive nutrient and prevent algae bloom at initial period. You can change it later once the tank is stable.

Ah i see. I like the looks of your green carpet too. But my current setup has some grass so looking at something different. :P

The bonsai looks really good! Definitely worth considering. As for background plants, noted. Will have a look around 😁

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Apistoinka View Post
    2 more sets of up aqua pro z you will have a better funds to get a better lighting.. you could get a chihiros a series at $79 and you can grow almost any plants with the light.. whats good is it comes with a 7 stage dimmer too.. just one set of it will save you more money..

As for plants you might wanna get those stem plants with smaller leave like rotala indica red and green for the back ground.. they are easy plants.. for mid ground you could try repens or japonica.. plants wise more bro could help you better.. as i just plant what i like and dont know much of plants name..
    Thanks! Will definitely have a look. 😁

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, i would also recommend to consider stronger lights in your tank size and height... especially since its 60x45x45. That usually requires different equipment compared to the more standard 60x30x30 or 30x30x36 dimensions.

For the Up Aqua Z-Series, i would usually recommend it for tanks up to 36cm height. For taller tanks, it'll be better to look at lights which have stronger individual LEDs (ie. Odyssea Evo series with its array of 3W LEDs) or which have the capacity to output higher intensities (ie. Chihiros A-Series A601 which can be tuned up to 5,800 lumens vs only fixed 1,320 lumens on the Z-series).

All that being said, it also depends on the type of plants you are planning to add. If the tank is mainly going to have low demand plants like anubias, java ferns, moss etc, then no issues sticking with the use of less light (would be better since slow growing plants can't use all the extra light anyways). But if you plan to add smaller carpet plant and higher demand plants, and want them to grow fast with Co2 injection in a high tech setup, then it'll be better to look at lights with better depth penetration and which can generate higher intensity.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, i would also recommend to consider stronger lights in your tank size and height... especially since its 60x45x45. That usually requires different equipment compared to the more standard 60x30x30 or 30x30x36 dimensions.

For the Up Aqua Z-Series, i would usually recommend it for tanks up to 36cm height. For taller tanks, it'll be better to look at lights which have stronger individual LEDs (ie. Odyssea Evo series with its array of 3W LEDs) or which have the capacity to output higher intensities (ie. Chihiros A-Series A601 which can be tuned up to 5,800 lumens vs only fixed 1,320 lumens on the Z-series).

All that being said, it also depends on the type of plants you are planning to add. If the tank is mainly going to have low demand plants like anubias, java ferns, moss etc, then no issues sticking with the use of less light (would be better since slow growing plants can't use all the extra light anyways). But if you plan to add smaller carpet plant and higher demand plants, and want them to grow fast with Co2 injection in a high tech setup, then it'll be better to look at lights with better depth penetration and which can generate higher intensity.
    Thanks UA. Lucky C328 is ok to exchange the lights. Will be bringing them down. Will be changing to Odyssea Evo 24P as they dont stock Chihiros. Is one unit of 24P sufficient for my tank size? I do have plans for carpet plants and possibly some high demand plants.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, a odyssey 3W led should be sufficient. But to improve the coverage, you may want to purchase the acrylic stand to raise it higher for the light to cover the whole tank.
    It is also recommended to plant high light requirement plant directly under the light.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chesterchuen View Post
    Thanks UA. Lucky C328 is ok to exchange the lights. Will be bringing them down. Will be changing to Odyssea Evo 24P as they dont stock Chihiros. Is one unit of 24P sufficient for my tank size? I do have plans for carpet plants and possibly some high demand plants.
    One unit is usually enough... but depending on your plant layout and due to the more directional spotlight effect of the stronger individual LEDs on that lightset design, if you find that certain areas are abit dim (especially at the outer base edges of the tank) and plants in those areas are not getting enough light, then you may need to look at getting a 2nd unit to increase the overall light coverage.

Alternatively, raising the light higher (like what Realcaster mentioned) with a taller stand or suspending hanger stand can also help to widen the coverage, just have to try it out and see.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bro,
    post more pictures. Its exciting to see the progress.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    One unit is usually enough... but depending on your plant layout and due to the more directional spotlight effect of the stronger individual LEDs on that lightset design, if you find that certain areas are abit dim (especially at the outer base edges of the tank) and plants in those areas are not getting enough light, then you may need to look at getting a 2nd unit to increase the overall light coverage.

Alternatively, raising the light higher (like what Realcaster mentioned) with a taller stand or suspending hanger stand can also help to widen the coverage, just have to try it out and see.
    Ah i see. Will monitor and see how the light will turn out to be. Exchanged to Evo 24P. Thanks UA!

Btw, based on the photo below, are the rocks on the left belong to the same rock formation? The large rock on the right is definitely different.

IMG_4360.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    Yes, a odyssey 3W led should be sufficient. But to improve the coverage, you may want to purchase the acrylic stand to raise it higher for the light to cover the whole tank.
    It is also recommended to plant high light requirement plant directly under the light.
    Thanks! Those stands can be purchased from East Ocean Aquatic right? I remember i saw a post somewhere. Those plants with lesser light requirement need to plant slightly away from the light to prevent light burn?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmj View Post
    Bro,
    post more pictures. Its exciting to see the progress.

Haha bro wont be so fast la. Now need money for my wedding lunch. So the setup will be slowly built. Thanks for viewing!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I changed my hardscape layout into the picture as shown below with the Evo 24P switched on. Kindly ignore the background photo image haha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by chesterchuen View Post
    I changed my hardscape layout into the picture as shown below with the Evo 24P switched on. Kindly ignore the background photo image haha.

I like your background!

BTW, in the meantime waiting for other equipment, you can spend time to clean the rock, boil the woods and sterilize them. After getting the soil, you can really pour it in and play with the hardscape. I spent about a week to set up the hardscape previously and I think it would be good to spend time for that. Because once setup done and flood the tank, you wouldn't want to mess up again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If only background turns into a real thing hahaha. I'm planning to clean the rocks and woods roughly 3 weeks before i set up. I won't be getting my filter and CO2 system anytime soon due to lack of funds, so currently bo bian research on other stuffs first haha

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast