Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How much Co2 to inject in a tank with peat?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How much Co2 to inject in a tank with peat?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am using peat moss as the bottom layer of my gravel, with base fert and lapis sand on top.

Normal measuring methods for pH is not going to work. If I use a pH Controller, calibrate it, I will still not be able to find out the ppm. Who's got a idea?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Take a sample of the tank water and measure its KH. Make another sample out of tap water and adjust to the KH of the tank water. Let both sample sit out for 24hrs. Both samples should have the same level of CO2 by the end of 24hrs. Measure the pH for both samples...get the difference between the peat treated water and that of the tap water and apply it to the CO2 calculation. Its not a fool-proof method but should get close enough for good CO2 levels. pH controllers are high maintenance stuff and a potential risk in my opinion.

Did you add any mulm to the bottom layer along with the peat? The peat that Tom usually recommend for new tanks is for the bacteria (mulm) as food source and should not affect the pH adversely. The peat effect will even out after a couple of weeks once the bacteria takes over the substrate.

Regards
    Peter Gwee