Thread: Pencil fish...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anyone here who can help mez with his questions?

ontopic again, thanks

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/25/2002 12:06:59 AM

anyone here who can help mez with his questions?

ontopic again, thanks
    ----------------
    Agreed
    Again...my apologies to Mez for stealing his thread.
    As you must already know Mez, I've had no experience wif the above...heard they r relatively easy to breed, esp if given the parameters of 29 dg celcius & pH of abt 6.2 Apparently is not an easy fish to keep, tho'.

BTW, there r many varients of the three-lined pencil fish, but the trifasciatus has one of the more colourful fin tips. I suspect those in Gan's tanks are the Nannobrycon eques.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    No problem, Nizz.
    Thanks, i would like to get some more and set up a breeding tank for them.
    They seem to be a bit nippy towards my guppies, anyone else experienced nippyness from these?
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Hi Mez

How many of them do u have currently? I've heard the general saying dat for schooling fish, if u have a larger grp, they'd stop/reduce their fin-nipping.

Comments fr others?

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes get 6 or 7 of them so they will reduce the brickering with your other fishes.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I use to keep 2 pencil fish in my planted tank but both jump out @ nite and are dead by the time my dad found them in the morning....anyone of you encountering pencil jumping out of tanl??????
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pencilfish jumping out of your tank?

hmm, actually last week when i fixed a canister filter to my 1.5ft, i moved my rasboras hengelis to my 3ft tank because i was afraid they'll jump out cos small tank with wide open top. but next morning, i found one of them in a small container on the floor (i was soaking something) swimming around, though. then when i counted, one was (still is) missing!

i think, pencilfish & these hengelis, being top-level fish, maybe something frightened them during the night so they jumped?
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pencil are great jumpers.....they land quite far away from my tank!!!! those who got problem in doing standing board jump can consult them!! hahahahahah!!!!!!!!
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, pencilfish r oso good jumpers... that r oso easy prey for my altums

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/29/2002 5:17:59 PM

pencilfish jumping out of your tank?

hmm, actually last week when i fixed a canister filter to my 1.5ft, i moved my rasboras hengelis to my 3ft tank because i was afraid they'll jump out cos small tank with wide open top. but next morning, i found one of them in a small container on the floor (i was soaking something) swimming around, though. then when i counted, one was (still is) missing!

i think, pencilfish & these hengelis, being top-level fish, maybe something frightened them during the night so they jumped?
    ----------------
    coryfav, I have 15 dwarf pencils and they have never jumped, even when there were 6 menacing Boesemani's rainbow in there terrorising everyone else. Perhaps this is because I have quite a lot of hornwort floating around the rainbar forming good hiding spots. I see many of the pencils resting amongst the hornwort after the lights go out.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy, can i float java moss? thinking of hanging some over part of my rainbar too.

or which lfs sells hornwort? wanna go take a look.

i'll be moving my 8 3-lined pencilfish from my 2ft to the new 3ft, in a week or two.

thanks!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/30/2002 7:55:13 PM

hwchoy, can i float java moss? thinking of hanging some over part of my rainbar too.

or which lfs sells hornwort? wanna go take a look.

i'll be moving my 8 3-lined pencilfish from my 2ft to the new 3ft, in a week or two.

thanks!
    ----------------
    I have hornwort draped over the rainbar, and java moss draped over the water intake [:]

if you want hornwort, I can give you, they grow like weeds especially when they're floating and close to the lights. Let me know if you want them, I pluck them every week or when they start blocking out too much lights.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks, hwchoy! think i'll start with java moss first.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    make sure to have the rainbar and suckers just under the water line and top up the water else you get roasted moss

Feedback Score
    Just an aid to the topic.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    book by atsushi sakurai, setiardi?

Feedback Score
    Yes, u have one? Very useful reference book but description of each is quite brief.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12