Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

PL 11w g23

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone know if the above light can be used to grow moss or plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: PL 11w g23

any comments???

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

see the kelvin rating. if its 6500k or sometimes labelled as 865, then it's good for plants. I'm using the philips E27 type for my tank.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How long have you been using? How does this compare to the led aquarium lights?

btw will kelvin rating be stated on the light tube?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Been using for 5 months on the low tech tank. Plants grew fine. If you are comparing on cost, LED is definitely better in electricity saving. Kelvin rating usually will be posted on the box of the light bulb, unless you getting those cheapo kinds - they usually dont state anything.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My box already thrown away long time ago
    How to check kelvin rating?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Kelvin is irrelevant for plant growth. It just hints at what you see visually. Plants use all parts of the visible light spectrum, a beit at different efficiencies. Whether you're using a low k bulb (typically more reddish/warm), or a high k bulb (typically more cool or blue), they'll all grow plants as long as you have enough light. Get the bulb that looks good to your eyes.

Different parts of the spectrum stimuate different functions/protein reponses in plants ; this is more for terrestrial plant growers than aquatic generally speaking. Blue light suppresses auxins in stem, giving more compact growth, while red light stimulates flowering functions. blue light does have greater penetration power in water though its only applicable for deep tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Xiaozhuang , you mean just use any light to grow plants ?
    which light is good for moss?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I mean enough of any light will grow plants. With slight difference in efficiencies. A good measure is PPFD or PAR as the common term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosy...tive_radiation
    A more scientific approach is to use PUR; which is Photosynthetically Usable Radiation, which is beyond the scope of most hobbyists. A range of 30 - 100 PAR roughly corresponds to what people refer to as low light - high light. If your bulb manufacturer publishes data, the PAR figure is the one to pay attention to; if its a bulb by one of the larger manufacturers you can track its data down from its website.

Coming back to your question; having enough of most common lights can grow your moss. The rest is a matter of efficiency and aesthetics; you should choose the ones that bring out the coloration etc. There are other considerations of course; some lights like MH run hot, and moss likes cooler water in general. PLL generates quite a bit of heat, and are less efficient than LEDs or T5HOs with good reflectors because of restrike, so I wouldn't particularly recommend them but they'll grow plants. LEDs are very efficient (unless you get the cheap china ones), but many suffer from poor color rendering, its still a developing market where the variations in fixtures is huge.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Which light you used that is best for growing moss?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not a moss expert. If I differ to the other aquarists that grow mosses well, I've seen good results with T5HOs and MH (that boon keng shop that specializes moss).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if I want to stick to 11w g23. What color of light should I buy for growing moss?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

6500k gives a good balance of colors~