Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wat moss is tat at NA ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Went to NA last month n saw some moss is placed on styrofoam. Seem like go on for sale. May i noe wat moss is tat ? Is it on sale ? Thankz

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should be mini moss. He has is on display on the tank to the right of the entrance.

Feedback Score
    wat's "NA"? cant find it in glossary..
    my planted tank is a small 12\"x7\"x10\"(height)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nature Aquarium.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:e304e07dc2="|squee|"]Should be mini moss. He has is on display on the tank to the right of the entrance.[/quote:e304e07dc2]

if you are referring to those limpy stringy moss over the driftwood on the right side (opposite the counter) then it is actually Singapore moss. Surprising morphological form but true.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    *gasp* Then Mr Chan has the wrong ID? Because he told my friend that that particular moss was mini moss!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Truth be told, Mr Chan could not have known. The moss was verified by the moss man Prof. Benito Tan at the cellular level.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... oh well. PEPSI know you know the true name

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Note again that the IDs of (many of) the mosses available at LFS (e.g. those at NA, Bioplast, Petmart etc) were ascertained only thanks to the efforts of Professor Tan. Many of these mosses (especially Singapore moss) can assume a huge variety of forms and sizes in both their emersed and submersed forms (thus the Singapore moss at Chan's look very different from others grown elsewhere). Except for a few (erect, weeping, taiwan (?)) one CANNOT tell for certain which species a moss is just by looking at its growth. Exact ID is only possible by examining its sporophyte and cellular structure (?). Thus, I must say speculation and concocting of arbitrary names (e.g. false Taiwan moss) is useless and confusing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9405a0d613="|squee|"]Hmm... oh well. PEPSI know you know the true name [/quote:9405a0d613]

read all about it here.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks alot hwchoy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So is the moss on Sale ??

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeap.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Juz went to NA and comfirm with Chan. The tank opp his counter is mini moss. The tank on the left side of his shop if facing his shop is taiwan moss. The tank straight infront of u if u walk in is upright moss.

Mini moss is selling at $5 which is said enough to cover 4 wire mesh. Upright moss is selling at $5 per mesh.
    Taiwan moss is not available at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:62b9a9c8a0="PEPSI"]Juz went to NA and comfirm with Chan. The tank opp his counter is mini moss. The tank on the left side of his shop if facing his shop is taiwan moss. The tank straight infront of u if u walk in is upright moss.

Mini moss is selling at $5 which is said enough to cover 4 wire mesh. Upright moss is selling at $5 per mesh.
    Taiwan moss is not available at the moment.[/quote:62b9a9c8a0]

did you read the link or you don't prefer to believe the professor?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Xmas moss and taiwan moss make me so confused lor... wa lau!!! how i noe??? still the same...anyone noe why they give it two names?
    Anyway if u are toking bout the moss opp the counter... and if the moss is thicker than any other moss,i have it...is mini moss. any body wan??? i am willing to sell cheaper then NA. PM me or msg/call me (9743 6757) if u wan the moss and we will discuss the price. Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:a41c2fdad9="jonapur"]Xmas moss and taiwan moss make me so confused lor... wa lau!!! how i noe??? still the same...anyone noe why they give it two names? [/quote:a41c2fdad9]

the short answer is that mosses cannot be reliably identified from superficial morphology (i.e. shape and growth form). the only way to do so is to examine their cellular structure and capsule (fruiting body).

go back several replies I have posted a link to an article. Several more are available at killies.com. Read them and you have your answers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c08fe3b429="hwchoy"][quote:c08fe3b429="PEPSI"]Juz went to NA and comfirm with Chan. The tank opp his counter is mini moss. The tank on the left side of his shop if facing his shop is taiwan moss. The tank straight infront of u if u walk in is upright moss.

Taiwan moss is not available at the moment.[/quote:c08fe3b429]

did you read the link or you don't prefer to believe the professor?[/quote:c08fe3b429]

Hi hwchoy,

i did not read the link as i m not a member of the website. And i juz go n ask Chan hope to clear any doubts. I dun noe if i made a mistake cos tat is wat Chan told mi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Killies no longer allows viewing by non-members?? hmmm

there is a moss article in AQ too.. go search for it.

what choy is saying is that whatever names an LFS (and that includes Chan) tells you mean nothing and are basically useless .... they are just fancy names the supplier has concocted. Thus, the professor from NUS has determined that the mosses at Chan are the so-called Singapore moss (Scientific name pending), despite their disparate appearances.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:3c613c7432="budak"]Killies no longer allows viewing by non-members?? hmmm
    there is a moss article in AQ too.. go search for it.
    [/quote:3c613c7432]

is that right? I'll check with TB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast