Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help!!! What's this

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any expert knows what this growing on my star moss!!!
    Thanks
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413133204.186670.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help!!! What's this

If you are talking about the blackish looking thing then, its black brush algae or commonly known as the dreaded BBA.

3 ways to get rid of it:
    1) Excel spot dosing / H202 Spot dosing. Be careful of the rest of the live stock
    2) Water change and water change and reduce lights a little plus increase co2
    3) Use algaecide and there is one which many forumers have said to work well - Algexit. I myself am trying to buy this but its currently out of stock.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It looks like slime algae. I had it too.

I noticed that it only forms up on certain parts of my tank. Maybe not enough water flow. Online research also mentions that excess light also contributes to it.

I manually pick it out when I can. At the same time, I also introduced more plants and cherry shrimps in the tank. I am not sure which one was the ultimate solution.

I noticed I deal problems with my tank the same as I play CoC. When a problem appears, I turn on my gan-jiong-spider mode. When I see algae, I bombard the tank with more plants (to absorb the excess nutrients) and clean up crew (to hopefully eat the algae.) When I see unexpected troops from Clan Castle, I start releasing the rest of my troops frantically and ultimately lose the war.

Oh. I forgot to mention, I did managed to get rid of the algae. The only ones form now are at the top of the tank, noticeably only at the spots/rims around the water outlet of my HOB filter.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

While it may not be very clear, it should not be slime algae, or the blue-green algae. That one is more like a film... this one looks hairy. Maybe the TS can tell us more about the description. If its hairy then BBA it is, if it disintegrates upon touch then more likely BGA. I had BGA too but it did not look like that. Anyway I also got rid of BGA using excel spot dosing. Excel is truly amazing... hahah ... if only it were cheaper.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia