Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Recommended Soil Thickness for Shrimp tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Recommended Soil Thickness for Shrimp tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm setting up a new 2 feet shrimp tank. It's going to have a 2x air-pump driven UGF and also a external canister filter that will be connected to a chiller.

Bought a 8L normal soil and 4L fine soil and laying it above my plates of UGF Panel.

After throwing in all the soil, i realize that the thickness of the soil is rather thick and set me thinking on what would be the recommended thickness of the soil should be for 2x air-pump driven UGF?

Below are some pictures of my tank. Pipes for canister filter have not been placed in yet. There is a gap of about 2cm for the UGF, and the thickness of my soil is about 5cm?

UGF Panel.jpgNormal Soil Lay Above UGF Panel.jpg Fine Soil Above Normal Soil.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Recommended Soil Thickness for Shrimp tank?

Since your UGF has a gap of 2 cm. ...u can lay some filter media underneath the UGF and then cover up the UGF with fine netting.....but it seems too late now to do it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Wong View Post
    Since your UGF has a gap of 2 cm. ...u can lay some filter media underneath the UGF and then cover up the UGF with fine netting.....but it seems too late now to do it
    Yeah. Abit late to add that now. But just a thought on what is the recommended thickness of the soil should be? Is it my height going to ok or should i reduce the height abit? Have yet to add in the water for the cycling, so removing some top layer of fine soil is still possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi, don't mind me asking, how do you fix that mesh onto the partition??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi da_xiong, the mesh is placed in between of 2 acrylics. The 2 acrylics i secured it with 4 file holder on all 4 sides (the white color thing) which you should be able to get from popular or stationary shops.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there! I believe you could reduce it to the height of the first notch of your thumb if you are solely keeping shrimps as I believe the soil is strictly for aesthetic purposes?
    However if you do plan on keeping a planted tank then I'd reccommend you to leave it as it is as Eric once told me that if you plant foreground plants like dwarf hair grass then it'd be better to see how they grow and ensure that the soil is not limiting their growth

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ronanggl View Post
    hi da_xiong, the mesh is placed in between of 2 acrylics. The 2 acrylics i secured it with 4 file holder on all 4 sides (the white color thing) which you should be able to get from popular or stationary shops.

I see.... don't mind me asking again.. where did you get the acrylic done with the hole in the middle??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Keep at least 2 to 3 inch of soil, I believe you will be planting it soon..