Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Lemon, Glowlight or Black Phantom Tetras?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lemon, Glowlight or Black Phantom Tetras?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Which of the above 3 is the easiest to keep and maintain in the aquarium of 90cm x 45cm x45cm? I am keeping 16 platies,3 sailfin mollies and 4 corydoras currently.Going to Seaview or C328 to get on Wed.....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lemon, Glowlight or Black Phantom Tetras?

Hi, i will not suggest black phantom tetra. If i'm not wrong, they are fin nippers and may nip the fin of your platy and molly. Glowlight and lemon are nice tetras and their uniqueness is determined by your tank. To explain further, i believed a bare tank will not bring out the best colours of both lemon and glowlight tetra. On the otherhand, a shady planted tank or tannin filled aquarium can bring out the stunning aspects of these fishes better. Just my two cents worth.
    I'm a bro!! Nice to meet u! Aspires to open LFS~ lalala

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am thinking of lemons or glowlights too as they are quite colorful.My tank's decorations consists of 2 tall and fat artificial plants and 2 big pieces of driftwood.

Any other tetras to recommend that can co-exist with my platies and sailfins?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

oh you got to consider if you have stuck any backdrop for the tank too. A black based backdrop will bring out lemon tetra and glowlight tetra colours too. but a white based backdrop will not. A white based backdrop will be more suitable for gold tetra, red eye tetra, lampeye fish (those that are shiny or reflect light) similarly, without any backdrop(just the transparent glass) the tank will be more suitable for fishes with coloured-bodies (fish that do not reflect light) such as white and normal cloud minnow, rummynose tetra, silver tip tetra, pristella tetra, emperor tetra, harlequin rasbora just to name a few. personally, i like rummynose tetra, pristella tetra, black neon tetra and harlequin rasbora for they school well and stuck tightly together as a group. neon and cardinal do not school as strongly but just hang around together. i have not tried glowlight and lemon. hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Are the tetras you mentioned able to co exist with platies and sailfin mollies? How is the ember tetra like? I am also interested in it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes they can. As far as i know off, they are not fin nippers. Ember is also another possibility. But u need to do frequent feeding since molly tend to be much bigger. so highly likely the molly will gobble up most of the food first

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok but will the ember tetras be eaten up by the platies and mollies?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    Ok but will the ember tetras be eaten up by the platies and mollies?
    It'll be very unlikely for fully grown adult ember tetras to get eaten... at 2cm+ they would be too large for platies and mollies to swallow.

But juvenile ember tetras (those small ones closer to 1cm) may get eaten by the larger adult live bearers... similar to how they'll eat their own fry. As the saying goes, anything that'll fit in their mouth, they'll eat it.

So just select the larger sized ember tetras when you go shopping for them and there shouldn't be any issues.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok sure, will be going down to C328 tomorrow night and see what kind of tetras are available. BTW, are Embers and Lemons widely available in SG?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    Ok sure, will be going down to C328 tomorrow night and see what kind of tetras are available. BTW, are Embers and Lemons widely available in SG?
    Not sure about lemons, but ember tetras seem to be very common at most LFS, i see them in stock at many places... almost as common as neon tetras.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

anyway to update you. i just went qianhu. they have stocks of adult lemon tetra. healthy and big. drfinitely will not be eaten up by your livebearers. and reasonable price per piece too.