Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: do plants not plugged into soil gets fertilized and nutrients?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

do plants not plugged into soil gets fertilized and nutrients?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This is such a newbie question, but I am wondering whether plants such as those on driftwoods, stuck onto tank walls, can indirectly get fertilized and nutrients from the ADA soil on tank floor? Or, is there a need to add liquid ferts and additives to feed these plants?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: do plants not plugged into soil gets fertilized and nutrients?

Plants which are not planted into the substrate are adapted to take in nutrients from their aerial roots and leaves (most rooted plants do that too, just that they take in more nutrients from their roots than from their leaves).

The nutrients can either come naturally from the water column (ie. fish waste that are converted into usable nutrients by the tank's beneficial bacteria), or from fertilizers dosed into the water column.

If you don't have any nutrient producing sources in the tank, like a bare-bottom/inert substrate tank with no or few livestock, then it'll be good to add appropriate fertilizer to the water column to support the plant growth.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does this mean that I don't need to dose liquid nutrients if I have soil/fertilizer as substrate?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by elmizze View Post
    Does this mean that I don't need to dose liquid nutrients if I have soil/fertilizer as substrate?
    It depends on the soil substrate, some contain more nutrients while some contain less (or sometimes even none). You'll need to research on the specific soil substrate to find feedback and experiences from people who have used them.

For example, ADA Amazonia aquasoil is well known to contain ample essential nutrients which would usually fulfill most plants requirements for the first few weeks and months (depending on plant types and density).

But do note that even with nutrient-rich soil substrates, there are individual nutrients which tend to get used up quickly (like potassium and micro/trace elements) so those are usually recommended to be dosed from the start to further support healthy plant growth, especially for high growth tanks.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Got it! Thanks!!