Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Clamped Fins After Reaching Home

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I went to Seaview to buy 16 platies(12 females and 4 males), 3 sailfin mollies and 4 mini corydoras yesterday.When I got them at Seaview, they looked quite ok with fins spread out as normal but when I reached home and released them into the newly cycled tank after 30 mins of temperature equalisation,I noticed that 3 female sunset platies were clamped and opened at times.I looked at them at night when I switched off the lights and they looked quite ok.This morning when I fed them, they closed and opened their fins, tails just like the day before.The only positive thing is they are all eating.....

Is there any disease or funny thing going on?
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 20th Oct 2014 at 13:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Clamped Fins After Reaching Home

Could be due to stress
    Have you tested your water?
    Seems to be a lot of fish to add in a single day.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, clamped fins are usually a sign of stress, especially while the tank is still cycling and the parameters are still fluctuating... hopefully once the fishes adapt to the new environment and water parameters stabilize, they'll be okay.

Btw, in the future it would be a good idea to do drip acclimation (google it for more info) for livestock before adding them to the tank, it would benefit even those hardy fishes too... although floating the bag to equalize temperature is the usual recommended method, that method doesn't gradually equalize the water condition between the bag water and the tank water (which can be very different), so the fishes would still get stressed from the sudden shifts and changes in water parameters.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Has your fishes recovered from clamed fins?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Those 5 platies which had clamped fins died.....One was heavily pregnant.The rest of my livestock all chasing each other all day long.Buying platies from Seaview is like playing Russian Roulette.But that is the only place I could get assorted platies.Still ok lah.

What do you expect from 60 cents platies?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fish keeping is not about the care given with respect to the pricing the fish. I think all fishes be it cheap or expensive must be given that same level of care. Hence I think you should see what lessons should be learnt and learn to avoid them.