Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: HELP...

HELP...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all, am new in this forum.....

i've got a planted thank of ard 3ft (L) x 3ft (H) x 1ft (W) populated mainly by tetras.

it all went well until recently introduced some new fish....added like 10 algae eaters to deal with the heavy algae growth....they did a splendid job except that i realised they have also stripped my moss bare....now my green moss all brown liao....

i've also brought in like 10 1-inch long fish, black/yellow striped with big head, my shrimps have all gone.....those cute female shrimps with eggs gone too....not a single one left....do these new fish eat shrimps??!?

now the tank bottom is like full of rubbish....thinking of getting new shrimps in, but am also worried that they may be also be eaten once put inside the tank....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HELP...

[quote:246b215a0e="colortv"]hi all, am new in this forum.....

it all went well until recently introduced some new fish....added like 10 algae eaters to deal with the heavy algae growth....they did a splendid job except that i realised they have also stripped my moss bare....now my green moss all brown liao....

[/quote:246b215a0e]

Are they SAE? Mine used to do that with the java moss. One or two is sufficient in a tank. They can grow quite big too. Try more of Otos.

[quote:246b215a0e="colortv"]i've also brought in like 10 1-inch long fish, black/yellow striped with big head, my shrimps have all gone.....those cute female shrimps with eggs gone too....not a single one left....do these new fish eat shrimps??!?

now the tank bottom is like full of rubbish....thinking of getting new shrimps in, but am also worried that they may be also be eaten once put inside the tank....[/quote:246b215a0e]

Are these the Bumble Bee Goby? Their mouths are quite big in comparison to their body size. So anything that they can catch in their mouth they will eat. But I find they leave similar or bigger sized fish alone. Don't bother putting in new batch of shrimps.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

hi juggler, thanks for ur reply.....no those are not SAEs...think they are called albino algae eaters.....

in any case, i have found out from the fish database (searched through entire 100+ pages!) that those other fish are african cichlids...and was informed by forumers here and some LFS owners that i'm not supposed to put cichlids in planted tanks....so they were the ones who devoured my moss and shrimps.....

well have since removed them and bought new moss and shrimps yesterday.....tank looks to be in better condition now....hopefully the plants will regrow after some time

as for the cichlids, they are now in my office tank.....but the tank too small for 10 of them.....today come back office found two aircon-dried fish on the floor