Country
    Singapore

Re: 2 ft Paludarium journal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    not easy to find small crickets , you breeding them ?
    Nope, not breeding them, got the pinhead crickets from C328. One packet can last for a long time... I keep the crickets in a container and feed them fish flakes, with some added cotton wool for water. However, the crickets grow quite quickly, and after about a month, the crickets will have become medium sized already I had some crickets from my previous batch becoming adult, and the cricket chirps are so loud that I released the adult crickets. But right now my frog is bigger, so it can eat the medium sized crickets too.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethc View Post
    coming out very beautifully! the moss are well grown, like.
    Thanks a lot kennethc!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Random updates

Not much changes to the tank recently, but took some macro photos, so would like to share it over here.

Added one new plant from C328... Hydrocotyle tripartita

Took a close-up shot of a mushroom... like the texture on the mushroom cap

The green specks from the moss spreads everywhere...

One more leave growing from the Pleurothallis

Unknown plant grown a little

Crypt growing nicely

Small white flower from Glossostigma

Ludwigia repens - somehow this plants does not grow well in the tank, the growth is very slow.

Unknown plant sprouting from the moss

Random moss shot

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Froggy update

Forgot to post about froggy... I managed to capture a shot of the frog recently... quite rare that the frog is out in the open and stays there for photoshoot usually it hides and darts around the tank.

Another unknown moss growing across the Anubia leave...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Latest frontal photo

Latest frontal photo of the tank

Random shot

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Small updates

Some updates after 1.5 months...

Added a new piece of driftwood at the centre.

Hydrocotyle tripartita is starting to colonize the foreground.

Added sphagnum moss and transplanted some liverwort and moss onto the new driftwood.

Like the moss growing reddish stems...

Full tank shot.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks amazing bro! May I ask where you got the live sphagnum moss from? I recently bought the dried forms. Don't know if they can be revived. Doubt so if they're treated chemically.

The additional new driftwood in the centre adds more depth from the fts perspective. Looking forward to the moss growth there. Macro shots, love it bro!
    Last edited by Donut the Donkey; 23rd Apr 2015 at 09:10.

V nice! Especially so that the plants are growing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Donut the Donkey View Post
    Looks amazing bro! May I ask where you got the live sphagnum moss from? I recently bought the dried forms. Don't know if they can be revived. Doubt so if they're treated chemically.

The additional new driftwood in the centre adds more depth from the fts perspective. Looking forward to the moss growth there. Macro shots, love it bro!
    Thanks bro! Nope, mine is dead sphagnum moss too... I pasted some liverworts on the sphagnum moss, maybe that's why you mistook it as alive

Quote Originally Posted by golfball View Post
    V nice! Especially so that the plants are growing.
    Thank you golfball! Currently having some blue-green algae growing in the water though, I think there is no way I can get rid of the blue-green algae. The emersed areas are growing well though, so I'll just leave the blue-green algae alone.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Random updates

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla83 View Post

Unknown plant sprouting from the moss

Random moss shot
    Really? Then what is the moss growing in the first picture? Looks like live sphagnum moss to me. If so, could it have been revived somehow, from being dried? If it isn't LSM, do you know what moss that is and where you got them?

edit: Sorry I didn't notice you put liverwort. What type of liverwort is that then, and where did you buy/get it?

In the second picture, what is the moss growing in the bottom left of the picture?

Lastly, I read that you have 'Apple moss'. Where did you get that too?

Sorry for asking alot of questions. I really love your setup. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, quite sure it's not sphagnum moss, I transplanted it from one of the potted plants that I got from world farm quite some time ago. Not sure what moss it is though. The liverwort was also unknown, scraped it off the ground from some plant nursery..

In the second picture, the moss at the bottom left is some apple moss... got that wild too. From some rocks near Dairy farm park I think... I only got a fifty cent sized patch.. but it spreads everywhere in the tank. Most of the mosses are wild from outdoors... they establish faster since they are already in terrestrial form.

No problem Donut, I love my setup too
    It's virtually maintenance-free.. besides topping up water that is filtered with activated charcoal every 2-3 days. And also feeding my always hiding frog with crickets.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla83 View Post
    Yes, quite sure it's not sphagnum moss, I transplanted it from one of the potted plants that I got from world farm quite some time ago. Not sure what moss it is though. The liverwort was also unknown, scraped it off the ground from some plant nursery..

In the second picture, the moss at the bottom left is some apple moss... got that wild too. From some rocks near Dairy farm park I think... I only got a fifty cent sized patch.. but it spreads everywhere in the tank. Most of the mosses are wild from outdoors... they establish faster since they are already in terrestrial form.

No problem Donut, I love my setup too
    It's virtually maintenance-free.. besides topping up water that is filtered with activated charcoal every 2-3 days. And also feeding my always hiding frog with crickets.
    Awesome! Many thanks bro gorilla83. I especially adore the 'Apple moss'. Hey, if your's is established enough, care to scrape off some for me to test/grow out? Or you could sell some off to me.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Donut the Donkey View Post
    Awesome! Many thanks bro gorilla83. I especially adore the 'Apple moss'. Hey, if your's is established enough, care to scrape off some for me to test/grow out? Or you could sell some off to me.
    This moss is very commonly found really.. you just need to look around closely. I think you can find it on the floors of most plant nurseries, those shady and moist areas.

But if you really want, you can PM me your address, I don't mind mailing some to you FOC.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice natural looking eco system! How do you keep the moss on driftwood wet? Do you spray water over them once in a while or just rely on the water dripping onto the felt?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by koky View Post
    Very nice natural looking eco system! How do you keep the moss on driftwood wet? Do you spray water over them once in a while or just rely on the water dripping onto the felt?
    Thank you koky! No spraying at all... for the left and right driftwood, it is kept wet by the 2 water tubes connected from the spray bar. For the centre driftwood, it is kept wet by the layer of sphagnum moss spread on the driftwood, which is linked to the felt and wicks water down to the driftwood.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

what moss is that on the left side of the tank?
    do you encounter mould problem?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bravo sir, enjoyed looking at your set up. My tank failed miserably because i think its too hot.. so only water plants survived hah
    I keep sulawesi shrimps, tetras, birds, exotic pets, herptiles and monster fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    what moss is that on the left side of the tank?
    do you encounter mould problem?
    Hi fireblade, it is some apple moss which can be found quite commonly... I guess it is Philonotis hastata.
    Yes, there are quite a lot of mould growth initially, which disappears by itself after some time. There is quite strong air circulation in the tank which helps prevent the mould from taking over I think.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethc View Post
    Bravo sir, enjoyed looking at your set up. My tank failed miserably because i think its too hot.. so only water plants survived hah
    Hi kennethc, yes the recent weather is so hot... have a DIY swamp cooler which helps to cool the tank, if not many plants in my tank will die too I think.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice tank. I would also include a "waterfall" if space allows. But I have a question, will the felt eventually give way or "melt" under prolong wet condition? It seems though that it holds many plants very well as compare to a cork bark.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you bluebubbles, am thinking of how make some water trickle into the centre pool I think the felt would last for many years, as the felt is those very dense and rigid type, so it remains strong even in wet condition. Yes, it holds the plants very well as the plant's roots grow into the felt quite easily.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

any picture of the swamp cooler ? thinking of diy one too ,weather this month really damn hot , how long can the cooling effect last for ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast