Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fish tank Cloudy Water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just set up my 90 x 45 x 45cm tank last Wednesday along with Eheim Ecco Pro 300 with salt, anti chlorine,super battle bacteria 8000 and Seachem Neutral Regulator.Left it to run until Sunday noon when I went to Seaview and added 16 platies and 3 sailfin mollies.But I noticed that the water became a bit cloudy.Went back to Seaview today and the boss recommended me to put 2 packs of carbon from Seachem($6.50 each)saying that it will clear up the cloudy water and change the color of the water as a result of the 2 big pieces of driftwood in my tank.

Any advice on this cloudy water?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fish tank Cloudy Water

Its most likely bacteria bloom, very common in new tanks that are still cycling... the "super battle bacteria 8000" and the bio-load from all the new fishes probably caused an explosion in the bacteria population. Usually bacteria blooms will clear up on their own over time (can be within a day or up to a week), depending on how much "food" the bacteria have to consume.

Carbon can indeed help soak up the excess nutrients in the water column (which will in turn also help reduce the bacteria bloom) and absorb the tannins released from the wood, so it can be useful in clearing up the water. Do remember to remove it after 2-3 weeks once it exhausts its capabilities.

During this period of time, you can also do more frequent water changes to further flush out excess nutrients and waste, it'll help reduce the chances of the various parameters reaching toxic levels (do remember that the tank is still cycling, even with the bacteria solution added).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So I just need to do water changes for whole of this week? 20% of the tank?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    So I just need to do water changes for whole of this week? 20% of the tank?
    Water changes will definitely help... if you have test kits, it'll be good to test every 2-3 days and monitor the progress of the cycle, it'll indicate whether you need to do more or less water changes (since you already have fishes in the tank).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok, will just change water for the rest of the week and observe from there then.Thanks bro.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So is it safe if I change 20% of the tank water twice a day and add in the anti chlorine, super bacteria 8000 and salt?

What kind of water test kit should I buy in order to test the waters? I used one which tests the PH before years ago.
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 23rd Oct 2014 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    So is it safe if I change 20% of the tank water twice a day and add in the anti chlorine, super bacteria 8000 and salt?

What kind of water test kit should I buy in order to test the waters? I used one which tests the PH before years ago.
    I guess you could follow that water change routine (along with the anti-chlorine, bacteria and aquarium salt), though it seems quite tedious to do 2 water changes every day... i was assuming its more like 20% every 2-3 days.

The water volume in your tank is large enough that the water parameters wouldn't spike up as quickly (compared to smaller tanks), so you have abit more safety margin.

You can look at getting the API Freshwater Master Test Kit (i currently use that), it tests ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, the 3 parameters that will help you monitor the tank cycle. It also includes tests for high and low range pH too.

Btw, any reason why you are dosing aquarium salt in the tank? Is it for the livebearer fishes?
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I use salt for the livebearers...