Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How good is a solenoid?really need?

How good is a solenoid?really need?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    So many bros tell me to get it but really should I spent money on that?what does solenoid mean anyway?
    Brother~~~brother~~~dun bother~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    do a search... anyway, there's a pretty useful thread on solenoids started by FlyingFish very very recently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup......get one........your life would be a whole lot easier......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Or get none. Can spend the money on a spare CO2 cylinder.
    I run my CO2 24/7.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can do it in a cheaper way by using a powerhead hooked up to the light timer but it will waste gas in the night though. Its your call...

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you just started the hobby and not too sure if you really will last in this. maybe you can try with a manual regulator.

Once you feel that you like or are comfortable with the hobby, maybe it is time to invest in a solenoid.

It will not wasted CO2 and it is much easier to control the Co2 output.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    solenoid valve is an electrically controlled on/off valve, usually controlled by a timer. solenoid is just an electromagnet. the solenoid enables automated co2 injection.

a solenoid would be required if you want to maintain high co2 concentration (within critters limits) in your planted tank. however, it does not control the co2 flow rate. a needle valve will be required.

Feedback Score
    my understanding is:

co2 cylinder -> the thing storing ur liquid co2 dat looks like a fire extinguisher

solenoid - to control on/off co2 flow with your lights. wen ur lights is on, co2 flows. lights off, co2 stopped.

reactor/diffuser/atomiser/flipper -> ways to increase co2 solvent efficiency. (more co2 dissolved in water, minimise co2 wastage)

needle valve -> adjust co2 flowrate.. like 5bubble per second (bps), 10bps, or 1bps etc

regulator -> dono wat it is

tubing -> plastic tubes transporting your co2 gas
    my planted tank is a small 12\"x7\"x10\"(height)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A solenoid ( if you learnt it in Secondary School's Physics ) is a coil of wire that expands when a current is passed through it. In simple terms, it's a sort of electrical switch to turn of c02 supply.

We use a solenoid to shut off c02 at night automatically ( by use of a timer ).

Generally recommended as you don't want to be turning and turning your valve every night right? It will wear out the c02 tank's valve that way.

To add on to foxxkat's explanation:

Regulator: A device to decrease the pressure of the c02 gas as it comes out of the cylinder. ( c02 stored in the cylinder is at a pressure of 1000psi. The regulator reduces it down to a more mangaeable pressure of 20 psi. )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:b05342eff4="|squee|"]A solenoid ( if you learnt it in Secondary School's Physics ) is a coil of wire that expands when a current is passed through it. In simple terms, it's a sort of electrical switch to turn of c02 supply.
    [/quote:b05342eff4]

a solenoid is an electromagnet.
    the device that switches on/off co2 supply is a solenoid valve. so there are 2 parts to the system.

[quote:b05342eff4="|squee|"]
    To add on to foxxkat's explanation:

Regulator: A device to decrease the pressure of the c02 gas as it comes out of the cylinder. ( c02 stored in the cylinder is at a pressure of 1000psi. The regulator reduces it down to a more mangaeable pressure of 20 psi. )[/quote:b05342eff4]

some regulators allows you to adjust the output pressure.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    man someone should invent a open close valve running on a 24 hr basis. therefore it will NOT have the chance to shock you, NOT be hot.
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Solenoid is useless... this is wad i think la... cuz ur PH will be affected by the Co2.
    In the dae, u can have co2 supply and the ph will be at bout 6.7 but wen the nite comes...ur Co2 is automatically shut off by this EXPENSIVE solenoid and this will cause a freat change in ur PH. which i think is bad for the living things inside... personally i set my Co2 at 1bps. Constantly... So my ph is maintain at 6.7... And i put alot of kh up... until 3 degree... but with my constant Co2... i managed to adjust until 6.7...
    PERFECT AR!!!! Any comments brothers???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I don't see how your pH can be constant at 6.7 day and night, with or without a solenoid and KH buffer. In any case, there is no evidence that once acclimatised, tank inhabitants or plants are harmed by pH swings. Excess CO2, however, can kill.