Images
    Country
    United_States

The Barr Report

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am planning on the first active article to be posted on the Barr Report coming up on Jan 2nd.
    Folks can register and sign up now. I am still adding to the site and will have a large amount of references for folks wanting more information on aquatic plants, algae and related information.

Yes, I'm finally having to charge something to pay for the site etc, I weighed this with selling a variety of snake oils, secret substrates but I figure I've saved many folks potentially 100$ or more on test kits, RO, cables, miracle cures, fertilizers over the years for free.... so 12.95$ ain't bad for a years worth of organized information.

I'm saving a few trees, reducing cost for everyone by sending it out on line also, not to mention there are no mailing or delivery problems and folks in Europe, Asia, Africa, SA, AU and NA all get the articles in a timely fashion and can save it or print it out. There will also be some user feedback on the articles.
    The site will build and have more things as time allows. Research presented and sreferences will be very current/up to date.

I, of course, will have an entire article devoted to each nutrient involving all the gory details that folks seem to relish. There will be practical matters discussed and selected past post that will be edited making a search much easier.

I will have some very good DIY projects listed and photographed/drawn. There is also a revised updated version of the Estimative Index. Registered users will essentially have a role and a preview in the formation of a book long before it hits the shelf. The site also have a translation engine for several languages. I will try to get other languages up for that as well. The site will have a blog page for references I think are thought provoking and relevant to aquatic plants and algae along with my "missives". The site will deal with CO2, marine, pond, natural and non CO2 systems.

There will be a plain language summary section for those not enjoying the techincal aspects.

http://www.BarrReport.com

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tom,

Good news to hear. I've been wondering for years why you just don't set up your own website and just refer all the questions you've been replying to it.

Now we can get your wisdom all in one place, updated and organised!!!
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing though... the other day you mentioned new information about substrate and water column fertilisation.

Is that on the BarrReport already? I've signed up and been browsing, but I can't anything on that.

To be frank, I have a hard time making sense of the navigation of the site at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    No, it's not up on the site.

It will be and later incorporated into a topic.

"Good news to hear. I've been wondering for years why you just don't set up your own website and just refer all the questions you've been replying to it. "

Yes, today Hell froze over

I have a list of 25 topics I will write about. Greg will post those is about 1-2 days.

I write one article per month, I think that is enough

I'll post some blogs, scientific references, DIY CO2 and other things, old post, field anyone's questions there.
    Signing up alone will not allow access to much of the site.
    It's not a free site.

I will have some figures and new relevant discussion about aquatic plants.
    It's not like my post. It's work.

I am also planning to do an interview with Amano, more on design and where the hobby might want to go in the future.

I have several tank projects I will be adding to the site and detail them out start to finish.

I have a day job, teach at night, have my mainteance business one day a week, I can only do so much. But the site will build substantially in the coming few months and folks will always get their article which is worth more than many magazine subscriptions and it cost less and there are no delivery issues. Folks will have access to past articles as well and be able to view the comments.

I have other deals for local USA/Canada folks I'll put on the site.
    There is a portion of the site that will deal with discussion of the article and it's points. I'd much rather beat one issue to death and effectively, before starting on another. This will reduce all these tangents folks seem to go on.

I'll try and see about getting a better navigation bar up.
    Thanks, I need feedback for Greg doing the site.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Perharps a new status bar to differential between a user and a subscriber would help things.

Tom, is there any chance of viewing the DIY external Barr Reactor on the site as a subscriber? Even though you mention its nothing special but the issue of small bubbles (after the powerhead impeller grinding) exiting the output still bugs me. I'll want to see how come your bubbles don't exit the reactor at the same rated powerhead sizing.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7dfbc69df7="Plantbrain"]...

I'll post some blogs, scientific references, DIY CO2 and other things, old post, field anyone's questions there.
    Signing up alone will not allow access to much of the site.
    It's not a free site.

...[/quote:7dfbc69df7]

I did subscribe. The 5th one if the order numbers are accurate indicators.

I agree with Peter, it's hard to tell whether I'm reading public stuff or subscription only stuff.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    That issue will become clearer once we start adding features to the site, right now, things are more open.

Most of the content will be closed later once the articles appear. Greg has a few neat ideas about this and has given it a lot of thought.

I'm just a plant guy, not a web design person.

I'll see about a STAT bar. Good suggestion.
    I've threatened to put the DIY internal up, there's already at least 2 DIY externals already out there but I can give modifications to improve those also, I'll have that on the site and maybe the DIY for a little while, later I'll post it all over and give folks a freebie.

Some folks copied for the most part then made the reactor I once made so it's a little pay back

If you are DIY'ed out of business, you cannot help that.
    I realized that fast with the Externals, it was nice though, now I can do what I wanna do I like making things to understand them better, but selling them and all that via mail order is a PITA. I'd rather email a cool article instaed. The market for information is also much larger than products only sold here/that need mailed and processed etc.

While this takes time, it is better time management for me and a better service that focuses on my best skills.

I have 25 articles planned.

Regards,
    Tom Barr