Country
    Singapore

DIY Cooling Fan anyone?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I've been thinking of building my own cooling fan for the tank and planning on using a series of computer fan and a DC adapter to power it.
    Do you guys think that it's worth the trouble? Assembling it is not that hard but say I want to use a double fan, the cost will be as follows:

1. Fan - Gentle Typhoon Servo (2x) = 50$
    2. DC adapter = 5$
    3. wires/plug = 5$

That's a total of 60$.
    There are cheaper fans but imho gentle typhoon is the strongest and quiet fan out there.

Is there anyone who tried the same DIY? How did it go? What type/brand of fan did you use and typically how many degree did the temp. drop?
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Cooling Fan anyone?

I've done this before, the main cost is the fan (the 12V DC adapter and wires/plug are relatively cheap). I used a Zalman Ultra-Quiet 120mm PC fan (got a spare set from PC builds)... much quieter than normal aquarium fans.

You just need to make sure the PC fan is secured properly onto the tank edges (make sure it doesn't come loose and drop into the tank water).

I attached my DIY fan to a clamp holder and mounted it facing 45 degrees towards the water surface, so that the air blows across a wider area. On a 2ft tank, it was usually able to reduce water temperature around 2-3°C lower (depends on the ambient room temperature). Evaporation is crazy though, every day have to constantly top up 2-3 liters of water.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I've done this before, the main cost is the fan (the 12V DC adapter and wires/plug are relatively cheap). I used a Zalman Ultra-Quiet 120mm PC fan (got a spare set from PC builds)... much quieter than normal aquarium fans.

You just need to make sure the PC fan is secured properly onto the tank edges (make sure it doesn't come loose and drop into the tank water).

I attached my DIY fan to a clamp holder and mounted it facing 45 degrees towards the water surface, so that the air blows across a wider area. On a 2ft tank, it was usually able to reduce water temperature around 2-3°C lower (depends on the ambient room temperature). Evaporation is crazy though, every day have to constantly top up 2-3 liters of water.
    Awesome! I have a DIY cooling fan before that I installed in my PC cabinet a long time ago. I'm not using it anymore so i'll dismantle it but I will replace the fan with gentle typhoon servo. I also found an old clip-on light with bendable arm so i'll remove the light part and attach the fans there
    I'll take some pictures once I got it working.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I used an Ac fan small one to cool down the tank,so far so good 2yr and still going strong...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Staying tuned to this thread. Maybe it is an improvement from the current project that I am engaged in.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

use 2 pvc cable trucking stretch across the top of the tank and attached the DC fan to the PVC trucking. And then connect a AC/DV adapter to the DC fan.
    Is simple and quick.
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by freezze View Post
    use 2 pvc cable trucking stretch across the top of the tank and attached the DC fan to the PVC trucking. And then connect a AC/DV adapter to the DC fan.
    Is simple and quick.
    You happen to have a picture of what you suggested? Seems viable and interesting. Have you done it before?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by qngwn View Post
    You happen to have a picture of what you suggested? Seems viable and interesting. Have you done it before?
    I done one of that before and it works quite well but i have already decommission the fan.
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i just bought a usb computer fan with diy bracket, just plug and play using iphone adaptor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any updates? Any pictures?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

DC Fans.jpg
    This is roughly how i setup the DIY fans using PVC trucking as support