Country
    Singapore

Re: Low Tech tank - Need Help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by jiajuen900 View Post
    Echinodorus Tenellus shoots out runners on the side from the main plant do it will carpet sideways. As UA mentioned, it has a very extensive root system. However, they usually do not root very deep. They cover over a large area.

it is quite a common plant that many LFS stock. Last time I was at Y618 (last week) they had 2-3 pots.

For hair grass, I would trim the tips and allow them to float to the surface. This usually encourages bushier and faster growth.

For E.Tenellus I will either cut off leaves at the base of the plant (usually quite painstaking) or just pull out a few runners that shoot out in long chains and re-plant.
    Was looking through the E Tenellus photos and looks more like a grass scape. I was always inclined towards the HC/MC kind of small leaves carpet, but after my experiences with MC, they can get quite insane to plant. Each day got to deal with floaters, thats discouraging too.

I suppose the trimming part might still not be so tedious right now, when i have a proper carpet, the adrenalin and happiness might overshadow the trimming pains though... for now.. i have nothing to trim!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, if you plant dwarf hairgrass its a regular activity to trim them shorter as they grow out, then just use a net to collect the cut bits.

Alternatively you could look at getting japanese hairgrass instead (which grow in a curved pattern, hence don't get as tall) or Eleocharis sp. "Mini" from Tropica which naturally stays short, then there'll be much less trimming required.

Btw, the good thing about hairgrass is they don't have as much issues of bottom layers melting because each grass blade grows vertically and can get light (unlike other carpet plants that grow in layers) and are usually less susceptible to be pulled out by shrimps, probably its easier for the shrimps to pick and eat algae off the grass blades without disturbing them too much in the process.

Im now officially stuck between these 3 for my foreground carpet.

1. Hairgrass
    2. Glosso
    3. E Tenellus

So hard to make a decision... but key focus is grows well without CO2 (as in can see weekly progress), more rooted to prevent floaters.

Will look out for Rotalas as well. I have Nana in my tank as well, but i wrongly bought the non petite version. Ended up was too big and i cut the rhizome too much while separating them. Don't see them pearling, so dont expect them to last long. Will probably remove them tomorrow as well and plant more Rotalas. For Rotalas, i will remove them, cut them shorter and replant them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I personally would go with hair grass due to the aesthetics and it is a plant I generally like But it is not one of the easiest plants to grow.

if you are looking for a more robust plant that you are unlikely to face an issues growing then I would say E tenullus.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was just looking at the pictures of your tank, (maybe you could try posting a front tank shot), there is this long red plant in one of the pictures. May I know what plant this is? It doesn't look like an aquatic plant, might be better to remove it.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was just looking at the pictures of your tank, (maybe you could try posting a front tank shot), there is this long red plant in one of the pictures. May I know what plant this is? It doesn't look like an aquatic plant, might be better to remove it.
    I actually have no idea what plant it is too. Went to seaview, saw it and got it. I have a general weakness for red plants lol.

A bit paiseh to post the frontal shot now with how bad it looks. When i rescape it, then let me show it.

This is the plant you are talking about. Yup i intend to pull it out tomorrow together with the Nana.

Attachment 44896

Any idea how come all the pics are in the wrong orientation? It is straight on my PC...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mercur1al View Post
    Was looking through the E Tenellus photos and looks more like a grass scape. I was always inclined towards the HC/MC kind of small leaves carpet, but after my experiences with MC, they can get quite insane to plant. Each day got to deal with floaters, thats discouraging too.

I suppose the trimming part might still not be so tedious right now, when i have a proper carpet, the adrenalin and happiness might overshadow the trimming pains though... for now.. i have nothing to trim!

You made the same mistake as I did which is to introduce fauna while planting the foreground.

They need time to sink their roots.

I feel you, been through that stage.
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I vote for hairgrass, try the Japanese hairgrass which selling $4 a pot at y618.

I tried growing them using excel and decent light, it works
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kurty View Post
    You made the same mistake as I did which is to introduce fauna while planting the foreground.

They need time to sink their roots.

I feel you, been through that stage.
    I actually didnt have much choice.

I started this roughly 2-3 months back with a 1 foot tank. Overstocked and went to a 1.5foot tank, cut down on my fauna.

Subsequently went for a non planted tank for a month or so, couldnt fight the urge of a planted tank. I have a 3 footer outside my house, that one houses a few mollies. No filter, no substrate, almost 0 water changes. Got two breeding boxes and threw my fauna in there when i decided to go for a planted. 3 fishes died within an hour of going into that tank...

Set up my planted and retrieved my fauna back into this tank around a week or so, once i felt that the fishes could survive. Thankfully they did with no casualties... figured they would have died had i left them in the 3 footer.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I vote for hairgrass, try the Japanese hairgrass which selling $4 a pot at y618.

I tried growing them using excel and decent light, it works
    No CO2 as well? Just curious, you have photos documenting the progress? How long did they take to carpet?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well, it seems you also got poisoned some time in July like I am.

It's OK, learn from mistakes too .. this period of time, I already set up 5 tanks..
    Fails and redo, learning the hard way, battle with itk and now, with plants.
    In fact, I Just finish my 2ft tank as of today, trying dsm and see if it can carpet.

I dont have any pictures but since you using ada soil. Things should be much easier.
    For mine, the real growth starts when i insert root tabs and additional light.
    They start to develope crawlers.

Anyway i transfer them to my 1.5ft, should be fine. Just did on sunday.
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I actually have no idea what plant it is too. Went to seaview, saw it and got it. I have a general weakness for red plants lol.

A bit paiseh to post the frontal shot now with how bad it looks. When i rescape it, then let me show it.

This is the plant you are talking about. Yup i intend to pull it out tomorrow together with the Nana.

Attachment 44896

Any idea how come all the pics are in the wrong orientation? It is straight on my PC...
    yup! I am quite certain that is a not aquatic plant.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well, it seems you also got poisoned some time in July like I am.

It's OK, learn from mistakes too .. this period of time, I already set up 5 tanks..
    Fails and redo, learning the hard way, battle with itk and now, with plants.
    In fact, I Just finish my 2ft tank as of today, trying dsm and see if it can carpet.

I dont have any pictures but since you using ada soil. Things should be much easier.
    For mine, the real growth starts when i insert root tabs and additional light.
    They start to develope crawlers.

Anyway i transfer them to my 1.5ft, should be fine. Just did on sunday.

I thought about doing DSM for monte carlo as well, inspired by Urban bro's DSM for HC.

Decided against it because LFS told me Monte Carlo is really easy to grow, plus i figured i had to flood quickly so i could transfer my fauna over. Big mistake... Will go for Japanese hairgrass then. Shall pay y618 a visit tomorrow and pick up some... hopefully see if they have some rotalas. Otherwise might have to pay sunpets a visit.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yup! I am quite certain that is a not aquatic plant.
    Lol, Seaview shouldnt be selling it then. Will remove them... the leaves seem to be rotting away also.

Shall probably just have Rotalas and maybe Myriophyllum mattogrossense. Saw a forumer selling it and fell in love with it. Haven't seen it in LFS though, any idea if it grows well in a low tech?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I thought about doing DSM for monte carlo as well, inspired by Urban bro's DSM for HC.

Decided against it because LFS told me Monte Carlo is really easy to grow, plus i figured i had to flood quickly so i could transfer my fauna over. Big mistake... Will go for Japanese hairgrass then. Shall pay y618 a visit tomorrow and pick up some... hopefully see if they have some rotalas. Otherwise might have to pay sunpets a visit.

Wanted to tell you this,I feel you did the right thing by seeking opinions from others.
    Unlike me, went into Liking and Impulse buying.
    From budget to useless spending. haha

Y618, you can get the plants from there, pretty cheap compare to seaview, other than that, seaview still wins.
    It has been a weekly regiment for me to visit seaview.. every weekend, Sure got stuff to buy.

Better call Y618 to check before you went a futile trip.

Kinda like rotalas but too bad, no more room for it.
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wanted to tell you this,I feel you did the right thing by seeking opinions from others.
    Unlike me, went into Liking and Impulse buying.
    From budget to useless spending. haha

Y618, you can get the plants from there, pretty cheap compare to seaview, other than that, seaview still wins.
    It has been a weekly regiment for me to visit seaview.. every weekend, Sure got stuff to buy.

Better call Y618 to check before you went a futile trip.

Kinda like rotalas but too bad, no more room for it.
    I really like the community here. Plenty of people with good knowledge and willing to share. You, urban, jiajuen etc. Seaview has a large number of plants, but mostly not labelled. Y618 is one of my fav, good cheap stuff, but they are pretty busy most of the time and the shop tenders dont have as much knowledge to share lol.

Seaview is massive, but for fauna i prefer to get from Sunpets. slightly more expensive, but fishes all look much healthier compared to Seaview...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are keen to check out plants and their proper IDs, visit shops like Fishy Business, they stock the Tropica range of plants and everything is professionally labelled.

Its one of the few times you can see what the healthy versions of the plants look like and their actual scientific names displayed on attached tags, no need to guess. It'll very quickly expand your knowledge of the numerous plants used for aquascaping.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you are keen to check out plants and their proper IDs, visit shops like Fishy Business, they stock the Tropica range of plants and everything is professionally labelled.

Its one of the few times you can see what the healthy versions of the plants look like and their actual scientific names displayed on attached tags, no need to guess. It'll very quickly expand your knowledge of the numerous plants used for aquascaping.
    Shall pay them a visit soon. Didnt have the time today, so i just went to Y618.

Basically picked up Japanese hair grass, and some assorted plants. No idea what they are, suppose they are some kind of Rotalas. Basically gonna plant them, see what does well and keep them, remove those that don't.

Frontal tank shot - I am a little overstocked on Fauna atm, working out where to shift the fish to.

Attachment 44921

Unknown plants which caught my eye
    Attachment 44927

Attachment 44925

Attachment 44926

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Overstocked mean good excuse to start another tank...

As for the plants in your photos, based on my closest ID:

1. Limnophila Sessiliflora
    2. Rotala Nanjenshan
    3. Cabomba Caroliniana

All of them are easy and fast growing stem plants.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can't seem to see the front tank shot
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Overstocked mean good excuse to start another tank...

As for the plants in your photos, based on my closest ID:

1. Limnophila Sessiliflora
    2. Rotala Nanjenshan
    3. Cabomba Caroliniana

All of them are easy and fast growing stem plants.
    You Sir, are a walking encyclopedia! Amazing!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast