Quote Originally Posted by jiajuen900 View Post
    Can't seem to see the front tank shot

Bro try to click on the attachment

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Low Tech tank - Need Help

#day2

Ordered the timer as well. Once it arrives, gonna set it up on a siesta regime. 10am - 2pm, 6pm-10pm.

Had a few hairgrass float this morning, figured it was due to the albino pleco digging and digging. Shifted him out since 10 in the morning, and so far so good.

Attachment 44943

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice display of colors, noticr you even have a lily pipe.
    I guess your next poison will be co2 and better lights.

Haha.
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kurty View Post
    Nice display of colors, noticr you even have a lily pipe.
    I guess your next poison will be co2 and better lights.

Haha.
    Might not go for CO2, actually intend to keep it low tech lol.

I was choosing between the UpAqua, but eventually got the Beamswork as I thought the spread was slightly better lol.

The lily pipes are mainly cause I thought they looked good lol, they are acrylic though so relatively cheap.

Thinking of setting up a small 30cm cube for shrimps now. Lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mercur1al View Post
    Might not go for CO2, actually intend to keep it low tech lol.

I was choosing between the UpAqua, but eventually got the Beamswork as I thought the spread was slightly better lol.

The lily pipes are mainly cause I thought they looked good lol, they are acrylic though so relatively cheap.

Thinking of setting up a small 30cm cube for shrimps now. Lol

Well, Beamworks not doubt intensity was there but not strong to trigger growth.
    Up aqua seems to be stronger and better.

You happen to stay at Punggol area?

I too got a shrimp tank and a spare crystal tank for sales, should you required

Haha
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What size and price for the crystal tank bro? I don't stay in Punggol, but I drive so its not an issue lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

#day2

Ordered the timer as well. Once it arrives, gonna set it up on a siesta regime. 10am - 2pm, 6pm-10pm.

Had a few hairgrass float this morning, figured it was due to the albino pleco digging and digging. Shifted him out since 10 in the morning, and so far so good.

Attachment 44943
    Nice Tank! Should see some nice lush growth. The Hair Grass is well planted. Nicely spread to small bunches
    Where did you get the acrylic pipes from? Are they from E-bay? I'm considering getting a set.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice Tank! Should see some nice lush growth. The Hair Grass is well planted. Nicely spread to small bunches
    Where did you get the acrylic pipes from? Are they from E-bay? I'm considering getting a set.
    Yes bro, from EBay.

Check out Urban bro's review on it.

The hairgrass was not as tedious as trying to separate the Monte Carlo earlier.

The actual planting not that bad, but trying to separate them into small clumps was tiring.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Some discussion about the acrylic and in general, non ADA or expensive Lily Pipes and if they actually do create a vortex.

A quick video to showcase the lily pipe vortex in action. No idea how it compares to the real deal, anyone on the real ADA pipes can comment?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

With the plants more or less in place, thought the rocks look a bit bare right now.

Was contemplating if i should tie mosses or ferns to it for a more "green" look.

What do you guys think?

Attachment 44970

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mosses would be good i reckon =) just my 2 cent of view

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

With the plants more or less in place, thought the rocks look a bit bare right now.

Was contemplating if i should tie mosses or ferns to it for a more "green" look.

What do you guys think?

Attachment 44970
    Tying mosses or other plants to the rock could work, though once they cover the rock it gets hidden and ceases to be a hardscape feature.

Even if the rock is left alone it will usually eventually be covered in algae over time anyways (hopefully it's the nice fuzzy bright green type).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Tying mosses or other plants to the rock could work, though once they cover the rock it gets hidden and ceases to be a hardscape feature.

Even if the rock is left alone it will usually eventually be covered in algae over time anyways (hopefully it's the nice fuzzy bright green type).
    Can't decide... the tying part is what puts me off right now. Never tied and can't tie for nuts lol. Came across a few articles where people superglued mosses to DW and rocks, like how you superglued nanas to pebbles. Might try that on one rock first though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think the rocks look nice! Gives the tank character :P
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Day 5.

The growth of the stem plants are insane, but sadly not much in the way of the hair grass. Dosing excel daily at the start of photo cycle, and flourish every tuesday and friday.

Attachment 45000

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Day 5.

The growth of the stem plants are insane, but sadly not much in the way of the hair grass. Dosing excel daily at the start of photo cycle, and flourish every tuesday and friday.

Attachment 45000
    Patience , bro.

My hairgrass only start growing or spreading like 2 month with excel
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kurty View Post
    Patience , bro.

My hairgrass only start growing or spreading like 2 month with excel
    Ya bro, guess have to be that way. First 3 days first thing i did in the morning after jumping out of bed was to look at the hairgrass, wondering if they had grown.... lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Day 15.

Attachment 45197

Fighting some algae problems now, looks like brown diatom algaes. Kinda expected as a new tank syndrome... last time i had it in my old tank, a couple of Otos fixed it. This time round, its just one single oto and its not as effective. Might pick up another couple to deal with it.

Did a first round trimming for the Limnophila Sessiflora, Rotalas and Cambomba and replanted some of the trimmings to make it a little more dense. Doing so also cleared up a small section... planning to add one more plant. Went to Y618 but nothing caught my eye this time round... would appreciate any suggestions for the bare spot.

Japanese hairgrass looks like its growing... but really slowly. At least now can see runners coming up from beneath the substrate. Much better success compared to planting Monte Carlo as my foreground plant earlier. Still a long way to go though...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Day 25 updates.

Completely pulled up my Cambomba, they are really prone to dropping their leaves and choking up my intake. Kept 2-3 stalks and planted them away from the intake. For the limnophila sessiflora, i trimmed them earlier and left the trimmed stems planted. They eventually grew new shoots and i pulled them all out, replanted these shoots and got rid of the original stems since the leaves turned brown after i cut them.

Finally the dreaded algae start appearing

Fighting 3 different kinds now, brown diatom. Pretty much gone, the 3 Otos did a good job of clearing the tank glass. There is more, but pretty unaccessible as it is right by the substrate.

For the second kind of algae, it seriously is a backbreaking activity to get off. The Otos are not eating these, i suspect they are too glued to the glass for their little mouths to handle. I had to manually use a scrubbing pad to clean them off. Good thing is, they seem to be controlled now, they didn't come back on the areas i scrubbed. I left these areas for now as they are too close to the substrate, don't want to unintentionally pull out the growing hairgrass.

And lastly, looks like hair algae! Spot dosed with excel when i found it earlier today, will see how they react before deciding if to turn down the photo period. Also added a packet of Salvinia to soak up some of the excess nutrients.

Some tank specs:

Roughly 50L tank.
    Beamswork Hi Lumens 50 Light. Photo period from 9am - 1pm and then 5pm - 9pm.
    1ml of Excel daily, 1ml of Flourish every tuesday and friday. 30% - 40% water change every Friday.
    No Co2 injection.

Any suggestions on what else i could do?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

buy a Siamese Algae Eater for hair algae
    change water 50% 2 times a week.
    probably cut down 1hr of your photo period.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast