Country
    Singapore

Re: filter feeder - clams

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    I will keep a lookout for you, boss. If you'd like, I will buy for your first too then we can arrange a meet up.
    Yes, that would be awesome.

Funny fact, I actually see them breed... 1 rescape.. Alot died...
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Funny fact, I actually see them breed... 1 rescape.. Alot died...

Could it be an Ammonia spike due to disturbance of the substrate?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Could it be an Ammonia spike due to disturbance of the substrate?
    Might be, but I dosed some other stuff too.. Like algae exit...

Now left 1 clam, not sure if it can even breed anot. Too lazy Google also..
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Now left 1 clam, not sure if it can even breed anot. Too lazy Google also..
    From what I remember, you do need a pair for breeding. They reproduce parasitic larvae which hitchhike in the fishes' gills for distribution. Not much material is available for fresh water clams as there are not much documented species out there. They are mostly salt-water.

Interestingly, there are more materials on mussels but not that much more. They are in the same family: Unionioda.

I will post more later. Shoot. I keep getting distracted.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kurty View Post
    3 of my clams just passed on..

only left 2, don't know what's wrong with them..

i feed them by dropping a pellet next to them, is that correct?
    They consume food particles and phytoplankton/zooplankton that drift into the path of their filter mouths, so its best t create lots of flow and circulation around them.

Dropping a pellet next to them may help once the pellet breaks apart into tiny particles, though the particles still need to be circulated into their mouths or else they wouldn't eat it. What some people do is crush pellets or use fish fry power food and mix in a small cup of water, then use a pipette to suck up the power mix and squirt over the clam to feed them.

Another way is to culture green water (just fill a glass jar of tank water with overdose of fertilizers, then put outside under the direct sun for a few days), then use the pipette to feed the algae-rich green water to the clams.

Though i find that if they are introduced to an established mature tank (ie. > 6 mths old) with seasoned filtration that has already accumulated lots of dirt and debris, the flow from the filter would usually already bring them lots of microscopic suspended food to sustain them.

Do note that these golden clams are still susceptible to the effects of tank cycles and toxic parameters, they actually also need clean cycled water to live in just like fishes and shrimps, the only difference is they are filter feeders and not very mobile, so require more specific food sources.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From what I remember, you do need a pair for breeding. They reproduce parasitic larvae which hitchhike in the fishes' gills for distribution. Not much material is available for fresh water clams as there are not much documented species out there. They are mostly salt-water.

Interestingly, there are more materials on mussels but not that much more. They are in the same family: Unionioda.

I will post more later. Shoot. I keep getting distracted.
    From what i've read, some of the mussel and clam species do have this parasitic gill larvae issue... but for the asian golden clams, their young apparently just grow inside the parent clam's gills then once they are old enough, they get spat out and continue growing from there.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ua,

Just to make sure, when the clams died.. they will open in full?
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ua,

Although I am not idol, I know this answer.

Yes. They do. The muscles have all relaxed and they are just opened. Like when you are having trouble opening cockles, you know they are still alive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ua,

Yeah, the indication of a dead clam is if its shell is wide open (like when they are cooked), as the muscles that keep the shell closed will not be working anymore.

If the clam shell is only slightly open or if you touch it and it shuts tightly, then its still alive.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

seniors correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if clams die in a tightly-shut position, they can be very tough to open as well. much like normal human bodies going rigid. unless, of course you rip the adductor muscles of the clams open.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    seniors correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if clams die in a tightly-shut position, they can be very tough to open as well. much like normal human bodies going rigid. unless, of course you rip the adductor muscles of the clams open.
    That is possible too... i don't eat clams which are still closed after being cooked, good chance that those already died before being cooked.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If the clam died in tightly shut position, it should mean they died not long ago, as times goes by, the meat will rot and the shell will open wide

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I went to C328 last night and there is no stock still. I asked the lady boss and she says that she does not know when the clams will come in. She will bring in if it is available to her. According to her, there is delivery everyday at C328.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Aquatic Avenue brought in some clams.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

YES! my wish has been granted, shall grab them tomorrow

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I dropped 8 clams in my tank last night and there was only 6 visible ones on the sand this morning. I guess 2 already went 'down under'.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

haha you made damn sure to buy up enough clams for yourself. for disappearing clams, try to keep a look out for their siphons sticking out at surface. these look like pretty "advanced" clams which should have well developed siphons that they use to draw in water and food along with it. especially if they're burrowing clams. they filter out food with their internal gills

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

haha you made damn sure to buy up enough clams for yourself.
    No. I only bought 8. They should have 42 left but some are already dropped in their display tank. There are plenty to go around still. I spoke to Gabriel and he is surprised that there is such a demand for clams. We got to thank a certain dedicated 'cik-gu' for this but I am pretty sure he is enjoying his holidays for now.

for disappearing clams, try to keep a look out for their siphons sticking out at surface. these look like pretty "advanced" clams which should have well developed siphons that they use to draw in water and food along with it. especially if they're burrowing clams. they filter out food with their internal gills
    Yup. I figured that out as much from my research before although I did understand some information wrongly.I am actually more worried about the clams that have not burrowed into the tank. I hope that it is not because their foot is no long enough to grab the sand to pull themselves in as some of them are lying on their side. I do not want to handle them excessively. I will continue to monitor. Will post updates on my thread soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No. I only bought 8. They should have 42 left but some are already dropped in their display tank. There are plenty to go around still. I spoke to Gabriel and he is surprised that there is such a demand for clams. We got to thank a certain dedicated 'cik-gu' for this but I am pretty sure he is enjoying his holidays for now.
    my dialect not so strong don't understand what is cik-gu

Yup. I figured that out as much from my research before although I did understand some information wrongly.I am actually more worried about the clams that have not burrowed into the tank. I hope that it is not because their foot is no long enough to grab the sand to pull themselves in as some of them are lying on their side. I do not want to handle them excessively. I will continue to monitor. Will post updates on my thread soon.
    oh I think should be okay to move clams around. they'll hardly feel it, literally and non. How you can gauge this, though, is perhaps if you see them trying to stick their muscular foot downwards to push themselves elsewhere (eg propping themselves up) this might mean that they don't like the "king koil" you gave them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast