Thread: Too much light a problem?

Feedback Score

Too much light a problem?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys.

I did a wrong calculation on the volumw of my water when i DIY my lighting hood. With 175L of water i used 6x36W of PL which gives me a 4.69watts/Gallon.

Now the question, is it consider over kill? Is it consider high lighting?(understand that recommondation of 2-3watts/G). Did a seach on lighting but didnt give me the answer i need. How low when we consider low lighting? How high when we consider high light? Will high light kill any plant like java moss? cos my moss went up the lorry, all become single thread.

Err... all my plants r light demanding plants like MM ,glosso, blyxa japonica. riccia, tonina etc.
    ==================================
    GOAL WITHOUT TIME LIMIT IS ONLY A DREAM.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That 2~3wpg rule is only a guideline. Having stronger light means more care needed. Fertilisation and CO2 has to be tip-top otherwise you run the risk of having algae easily. What you could do is, if you have only one switch to turn on all light-tubes, to remove 2 tubes out of six, bearing in mind the distribution of tubes or light.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Geoffrey.

Think i will take out 2 light tube. But worried that the glosso will start to "climb" upwards. Its best for it to grow upwards then messing with algae :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    alternatively you can rise it up higher above the waterline......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've got a suggestion. You can still use all 6 tubes but each set should be switch on at interval. Set A will be the 1st light set to be switch on and after an hour or so, depending solely on your preference, you can switch on Light set B. Light set C should be switch on only for 3hr or less, to simulate mid-day. Light off will start from Set B and an hour then Set A will be switch off. You need 3 timer for this lighting simulation. No need to get expensive lighting dimmer.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can try the 2 set as mentioned by BFG, but plan for 2 - 3 hours of overlapping period when all lights are on.

This simulates the strong afternoon sun.

The next better way is like what David suggested.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all replied.

I took out 2 tube(the easiest way). But after 1 whole day, the Riccia stopped having bubble. i will assume it need to acclimatised to the sudden drop of light intensity :P . Give it 2 more day....... no bubble=back to 6 tube and fight algae for the sake of Riccia bubble