Images
    Country
    Singapore

puffer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone have any luck with puffer eating those dry fish food? Thinking of getting one if they do.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    puffer are carni. they prefer meaty stuff. what species are you getting? normal ones can eat snail.

i only have one small puffer (ard 1cm only) in my tank, responsible for cleaning up the snail population in my tank....

now that the snail supply has been depleted, the puffer now looks starved like tat leh.....become so skinny.....feed him anything also dunt want to eat...think it's going to die.....how?

would puffers have hollow belly disease as well?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Almost all puffers eat only LIVE food. There are isolate cases where puffer eat frozen bloodworms.

Feed them live bloodworms or tubifex worms. They will never eat flakes or pellets.

BC

thanks!
    will go buy some worms for the puffer....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    becareful..if your puffer got nothing to eat for too long, they will eat on the fishes.. they got very strong jaw so you will see a small mouth bite size of fresh been "eat" away from your fish body...

really??

but my puffer is so tiny....ard 1cm only....so cute somemore....

but it's getting skinnier....i suspect it has got the hollow belly disease....cant find it in the tank this morning...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:daf5c6d6f8="colortv"]really??

but my puffer is so tiny....ard 1cm only....so cute somemore....

but it's getting skinnier....i suspect it has got the hollow belly disease....cant find it in the tank this morning... [/quote:daf5c6d6f8]

I think it is starvation rather than disease...

BC

coz i got one corydoras just died from hollow belly leh....

at first tot some other fish bit off it's stomach or something like tat....then found out from this forum tat it's actually fish tubercolosis.....

Re:

[quote:a5c7eaf3a4="bclee"]Almost all puffers eat only LIVE food. There are isolate cases where puffer eat frozen bloodworms.

Feed them live bloodworms or tubifex worms. They will never eat flakes or pellets.

BC[/quote:a5c7eaf3a4]

bought tubifex worms liao...feed right beside the puffer but he refuse to eat leh.... hope it doesnt die.....

btw i have some cichlids in my planted tank....a LFS owner told me never put cichlids in planted tanks, as they'll eat ANYTHING when they're hungry....

this is the cichlid i have in my tank:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/aq_ga...ish&page=3

my plants are now full of holes in their leaves, and my shrimps are all disappeared.....shall i remove the cichlids from the tank? there are like 10 of them inside....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess better remove those cichlids if you intend to keep planted tanks. Some of them also dig holes in the substrate and exposing your base fertiliser etc ...

However, some cichlids are plant-safe. Eg. Discus, AngelFish, Apistos.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    colortv, you puffer might be too weak to eat liao... chances of survival is quite slim...

My suggestion to you is that you should research a bit about the fishes before buying them...their feeding habits, suitability, compatibility with tankmates, etc. Forget about advices those LFC owners give, I find many of their advice are not reliable.
    BC

ok.....have removed 6 liao.....still got 4 inside difficult to catch....(my tank is like 3ft deep....

hunt them tonite again....hopefully my plants will recover....and got to buy more shrimps liao....

anyone can tell me how much shrimps cost? i was told they cost $1 to $2 each

wah if i get 30 it's $30 bucks....plus moss another $30

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Julidochromis sp. come from Lake Tanganyika. They need the high pH and water hardness associated with the lake in order to thrive. Maybe you should setup a tank with the proper water conditions for your group. I think they are omnivores, so they probably will damage plants.

Re:

[quote:717baa2a="bclee"]colortv, you puffer might be too weak to eat liao... chances of survival is quite slim...

My suggestion to you is that you should research a bit about the fishes before buying them...their feeding habits, suitability, compatibility with tankmates, etc. Forget about advices those LFC owners give, I find many of their advice are not reliable.
    BC [/quote:717baa2a]

heehee...my puffer now like back to normal liao....thanks to all the advice from bros here

fed it tubifex worms....but think feed too much liao, now can see worms wriggling from the gravel.....think they will grow and grow more.....izzit ok for so tubifex to dwell permanently in the tank??

my new shrimps seem to be dying....some are happily feeding, but lasty count got 6 become red liao....u know? the color of prawns when they are cooked

despite my efforts to feed the puffer with worms, i discovered the puffer's body after days of disappearance...

it floated and was bloated on the surface...seems to be showing me tat it was indeed a puffer that can bloat.....

so sad....he was my favourite fish leh....

and i now start to see small snails crawling liao....tiny ones.....no doubt the snail population will boom, upon which, i shall get another dwarf puffer.....must make sure got enough snails to feed the puffer 1st....

despite my efforts to feed the puffer with worms, i discovered the puffer's body after days of disappearance...

it floated and was bloated on the surface...seems to be showing me tat it was indeed a puffer that can bloat.....

so sad....he was my favourite fish leh....

and i now start to see small snails crawling liao....tiny ones.....no doubt the snail population will boom, upon which, i shall get another dwarf puffer.....must make sure got enough snails to feed the puffer 1st....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:5108bd3e77="colortv"]i shall get another dwarf puffer.....must make sure got enough snails to feed the puffer 1st....[/quote:5108bd3e77]

Hi

I have a dwarf puffer to let go.... if u wan and not staying far from me, can make arrangements to pass it to you....

it had faithfully served me fer the past one-n-half yrs and the reason i'm letting it go is my wife caught it attacking one of my baby cherry yesterday afternoon. it was the only time anyone saw it but who knows what it has been doing when nobody was looking????

i have since isolated it and still have not decided wat to do with it..... so if interested can arrange but if too far will not be worth the trouble and effort since it only cost =< $1 from the nearest LFS.
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project