-1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Algae algae algae~!!!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Very fustrating to see algae keep growing. Previously had ask how to keep spot algae away. Plantbrain advise to keep PO on the high end. I did so is now my PO4 level is 2ppm and CO2 level is 60 ppm. Theorically high level of PO4 and CO2 level shall keep spot algae. but seems like it does not help at all. I still can see then every two weeks. and now I can even see Hair algae starts to grow in between my tennellus. What's the reason behind?

Facts on my tank
    3ft*1.5ft*1.5ft
    Photo hour 11 hours
    water change every week to reset all setting
    All my dosage is according to chuck's calculator only PO4 is on the high side 1.5 to 2 ppm

How to keep algae away totally?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You are only dosing just PO4 and nothing else? Well, that is a big problem. Plants need more than just PO4 to grow. They also need N,K,Ca/Mg and traces to grow along with good light/CO2. Unless you are getting loads of growth, it is unlikely you are running out of PO4 for the week.

At 60ppm for CO2? Are your critters fine? Something fishy with the measurements.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore
    All my dosage is according to chuck's calculator only PO4 is on the high side 1.5 to 2 ppm
    I dose all the N,K,CA,Mg etc etc weekly after water change according to the chuck calculator only PO4 I dose a bit higher which is 1.5 -2 ppm

My KH is constantly 4
    I use 2 kinds of liquid tester and my ph is always 6.2-6.4 according to chart reading initally I thought something is wrong with the reading so I got a test pen now my PH is within 6.3 to 6.4

So co2 reading shall be 51 - 64 and my critter is still swimming happily. Strange huh!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Perharps you can give a more comprehensive info of your tank data for folks to troubleshoot for you.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey bro....what kind of plants are you keeping and what kind of base fert are you using and how long is this tank and what kind of plants are you growing?

Sometimes in our zeal for keeping nutrients in check within the water column, it is also important that it is kept within the substrate as well......and one element that is always overlooked is FE2+.......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    If you are going by chuck's recommendations on target levels then I assume your NO3 is 5ppm. Try increasing this to 10ppm as 5ppm is on the low end IMO.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bbe5408cff="David"]Hey bro....what kind of plants are you keeping and what kind of base fert are you using and how long is this tank and what kind of plants are you growing?

Sometimes in our zeal for keeping nutrients in check within the water column, it is also important that it is kept within the substrate as well......and one element that is always overlooked is FE2+....... [/quote:bbe5408cff]
    Well, I did not use any base fert plants are mostly E tennules, APP, hair grass, Rotola sp Green and riccia as floating plant. I did add the FE in my weekly routine.

Nilo ya my NO3 is 5ppm when I add. but I always do a little bit of over feeding hoping for NO3 increase. I do not have a tester but I can assume it shall be >5ppm maybe < 10 ppm. But I afraid too much of NO3 will cause problem for my critters.

The most amazing part is whenever I got time to admire my tank nothing goes wrong even when I did not do anything to it. The spot algae always grow whenever I am not around. Now it has been a week. tank still sparkling clear. Think I shall monitor more often...

Feedback Score
    You probably won't have any problems with your critters until you get past 30ppm NO3, so I wouldn't worry about it. As for spot algae, it means you don't have enough PO3 (phosphate)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My algae on the rocks is bubbling better than my glosso....glosso somehow is wilting.....