Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie non CO2 tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Could be dragonfly nymphs... maybe check the photos of those insects online and compare if they look similar.

Spot on. It really is. Thanks for guiding me to that lead. Now that explains why the pond snails are dead at quite a fast rate when my betta don't fancy them and I did not put assassins snail in yet.

With regards to the mulm, I see them settled down between the substrate. My sucker tube tried to clear as much as possible when I do 50% water change every sun, but it seems like it's still there. I thought it is the substrate dissolving to form soil. By changing the filter element from the black spongy type to the white foam type consider improving of filter system? Or do I have to change to a higher power filter? Current tank size is 260x170x190mm. The HOF claims to filter 185l/hr.

i do agree that circulation is not of ideal situation as the lower leaves of the stem plants are dead. Any suggestion to improve circulation?

always looking forward to your advice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by amaninus View Post
    Spot on. It really is. Thanks for guiding me to that lead. Now that explains why the pond snails are dead at quite a fast rate when my betta don't fancy them and I did not put assassins snail in yet.
    Yeah, dragonfly nymphs are very efficient hunters and prey on small fishes and invertebrates. Best to remove them as soon as possible.

With regards to the mulm, I see them settled down between the substrate. My sucker tube tried to clear as much as possible when I do 50% water change every sun, but it seems like it's still there. I thought it is the substrate dissolving to form soil. By changing the filter element from the black spongy type to the white foam type consider improving of filter system? Or do I have to change to a higher power filter? Current tank size is 260x170x190mm. The HOF claims to filter 185l/hr.

i do agree that circulation is not of ideal situation as the lower leaves of the stem plants are dead. Any suggestion to improve circulation?
    Soil substrates will naturally tend to trap a layer of organic waste and mulm, which is okay as rooted plants will usually help to use the nutrients that are generated. But a good filter with ample circulation will be able to push the mulm and waste into its intake and trap most of it in the filter media (which you then proceed to rinse and clean regularly).

A filter with higher flow can help... more importantly, the flow should be able to move water all around the tank, not just at one area. Hang-on filters tend to be rather limited in their outflow path, so maybe consider a mini canister filter with intakes and outflows that can be adjusted to create good tank-wide circulation.

If your current filter media or sponges have large pores, all the fine dirt and waste material will just keep flowing back into the tank, so adding fine white filter wool into the filter will enable it to trap the dirt and debris, which in turn helps to keep the tank cleaner. Note that you do have to change the fine white filter wool regularly as it will gradually clog up and slow down the flow.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see. I'll get the foam filter element right away and find out more on the mini canister filter (ehiem 2211 or Eden 501/511). Budget rather tight nowadays.
    Thanks for your valuable advice again, UA. I appreciate it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,

After failure in my previous 2 tanks, I started my 3rd tank setup.
    This time, I am using
    30x19x21cm tank
    Amazonia powder soil
    gex hang on filter M with coarse and fine wool, seachem matrix
    4w led light.

Challenges encounter:
    Cloudy water
    Dying/ melting hair grass
    Rotala dying/melting.

Water parameter using API master test kit.
    pH 7.8
    Ammonia 2.0ppm
    Nitrite NO2 0.25ppm
    Nitrate NO3 10ppm

I am suspecting nitrogen deficiency. From aquarium-fertilizer.com, optimal nitrate level is from 10 to 40ppm.
    No mention of ammonia though.
    Any guidance please?

uploadfromtaptalk1448861480883.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Forgot to mention, tank is on 1.5 ml excel everyday and water change twice a week (50 to 80%) due to cloudy water.
    Flourish (1.5 ml) added after water change.
    just tap water.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like the plants are just acclimating and transiting to the new tank environment. Its normal for plants to melt abit after being freshly planted, they have to shed the older/damaged leaves before growing new ones.

The tank is still cycling so the parameters are fluctuating, once it stabilizes and the plants adapt to the conditions they will resume growth. You just have to give them some time.

Ammonia is also used by plants too, so its part of their nutrient take-up process for growth. In the meantime, trim and remove any melted parts you see (as those will not recover anymore) so that it reduce the amount of rotting organic material in the tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

UA shifu,
    Thanks, I shall wait for a while. After using the gex filter, the water cleared.

I have not added any live stock. Do u thinking can add in some before snails at this point of time or should I wait till ammonia is 0?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks, I shall wait for a while. After using the gex filter, the water cleared.

I have not added any live stock. Do u thinking can add in some before snails at this point of time or should I wait till ammonia is 0?
    Best to wait until the ammonia and nitrite are zero (and nitrate is at safe levels), before adding in any livestock.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Best to wait until the ammonia and nitrite are zero (and nitrate is at safe levels), before adding in any livestock.
    Ok, I better do that. Thanks for your advice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345