3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Rotala root grows sideways

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Take a look at the 2 photos of Rotala. Both are from the same plant except that the single stalk was cut and left to float. The floating stalk as can be seen,has developed side roots. I hate the sight of side roots dangling from some plant that are still rooted to soil. Perhaps someone can enlighten as to what causes the side root growth.
    Attachment 45068Attachment 45067
    3ft Tank. Eheim 2028. ADA soil. LIghting 2 X 39 T5 / pressurized Co2 @ 8hrs/day.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rotala root grows sideways

Those are called aerial roots, they are a common feature of most fast growing stem plants. Its one of the ways they take in nutrients from the water column and also how they can anchor themselves to rocks or soil on banks of ponds/lakes (they are marginal plants which grow both submersed and emersed in nature).

From my own experience, what i've noticed is aerial roots usually pop out on older stems (it doesn't seem to matter if the soil is high nutrition or not, aerial roots still grow out eventually).

If you find the aerial roots unsightly, just do more regular uprooting and discarding of the old bottoms, and replanting the newer tops... alternatively, just trim off any aerial roots you see as part of regular plant maintenance.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 11th Nov 2014 at 16:55.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Uprooting is one choice but concerned that it will result in widespread clouding.
    3ft Tank. Eheim 2028. ADA soil. LIghting 2 X 39 T5 / pressurized Co2 @ 8hrs/day.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Uprooting is one choice but concerned that it will result in widespread clouding.
    Well, that an essential part of stem plant maintenance in order to keep them fresh and healthy, so you'll have to do it regularly anyways... otherwise the bottom older leaves all eventually melt away and leaving just unsightly bare stems.

Just switch off the filter and uprooting the old stems slowly, trim off the new healthy tops, then replant them, wait for the soil and dust to settle. Do a water change and then switch the filter back on.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You don't really need to uproot, just cut as close as to the soil.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You don't really need to uproot, just cut as close as to the soil.
    Would the 'cut' plant continue to grow? Or would whatever that is left in the soil just rot away?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    Would the 'cut' plant continue to grow? Or would whatever that is left in the soil just rot away?
    For fast growing stem plants, they will still grow, just that when cut close to their base as what Shadow mentioned, they will need more time to grow back and fill in... so you'll just have to bear with the empty "de-forested" look for a longer while.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What I mean is cut near near the soil and replant the healthy young one. I was just trying to avoid have to pull out the plant because it is very messy process .
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    What I mean is cut near near the soil and replant the healthy young one. I was just trying to avoid have to pull out the plant because it is very messy process .
    What if its cut about an inch above the soil, would it grow to be more bushy?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

without replanting? will take longer time for old stem to grow back. However, if you replant the cutting, most likely it will just rot away because no light, overshadow by the cutting.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Uprooting will be a last resort, because not only is it messy, livestocks life are also at stake. Will try Shadows suggestion to cut as close to the soil as possible. Thanks Urban and Shadow for the sharing.