Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty soil -> Dirty water

Dirty soil -> Dirty water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Bought some soil for planting from a LFS. The soil is brownish.. rinse and wash it but the water that came out is very brownish and dirty...

Finally decide to stop rinsing and put it into the tank... on the filter and let it run for abt 2-3 days liao... initially water is very dirty... improve slightly now.. but still not clear.....

Wat should I do? Any advice?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The soil you are talking about are base fertilisers. You don't rinse them. You are suppose to cover over it with a layer of gravels (2~3mm) to prevent it from serious leaching.

I suggest you get a pack of gravels; siphon out your water to as low as possible; lay the pack of gravels over it and fill the tank with plastic bag over the substrate.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could you describe the package to us? There are quite a number of different soil types and brands and each have different ways of preparation for use.

oh.... I did ask the shop pple if I need some other gravels.. he say no need

BTW, wat u mean by "fill the tank with plastic bag over the substrate. "

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    a) use a diatom filter.
    b) change water 3 or 4 times
    c) use one of those coagulating water liquids.

anyway, you don't have to get it crystal clean NOW. just give it time, eventually after enough water changes, it will be clear.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the main thing is: what brand of soil is this? show us a photo of the bag if you have it.

if its aquatic soil but not in the form of "beads" (like ADA, azoo, taiho) then in all likelihood, its meant for pond use..

in anycase, since you already set it up, then maybe you can go for a diana walstad's low tech soil based tank ...

is beads form.. threw the plastic away liao.. will try to find out the type of soil.....

ya, i am trying to change water regularly and hope that would clear it....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:757ff8e8c7="NewPlayer1"]oh.... I did ask the shop pple if I need some other gravels.. he say no need

BTW, wat u mean by "fill the tank with plastic bag over the substrate. "

Thanks.[/quote:757ff8e8c7]

If they said no, then it could be ADA. For those, you need not use gravels. It should look like what |squee| has indicated. Yeah, just give it time and eventually it will clear.

It means cover a plastic sheet over the substrate before you fill the tank with water. This minimize disturbance when filling.

Hi |squee|,

Ya, it looks more like the first pic.... so I assume is common....

Thanks Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ada amazonia, just give it time, you are not supposed to wash it since its just a soil conglomerate.

Feedback Score
    ada aquasoil wont make the water dirty. newplayer are you sure its the first pic?
    Its Not a Game, Its a New World™

The packaging is diff... but interior looks the same.. brown beads type...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Like what Chris said, you should not wash this type of substrate. It will cause it to disintergrate and clouds the water.

Try letting it settle. If it does not, try drying it out totally and re-use it.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you started planting? I'm wondering at this point if the cloudy water is from a bacteria bloom (part of tank cycling) or really sediments from the gravel.

Stop changing water and let the sediments settle by themselves. If the water gets cloudier over the next few days, then it's not the substrate but a bacteria bloom.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

ya planting started.. so far the plants looks fine.. have not implemented any fishes yet.. will wait for a while.. at least until the water is clear....

Quite sure the cludy is due to the soil....

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    where do you live? maybe someone living nearby can go over and take a picture of this "soil"

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes please do not change any more water, just wait for the water to clear out ..... it think it will clear within a week. BTW how old is the tank now and what filter are you using?

another way is get extra filter to clear the water. another way go get GEO liquid-planted tank

remember readed a amano plant book that once he doing a huge planted tank for a resturant within 24 hour and the water must be cystal clear the follow day, therefore bought in extra filters ....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seachem Flourite... A good substrate. Just let it settle and the water will be clear in a couple of days or so. Remember to plant very heavily...its the key for the new tank. Initial plant health of your tank doesn't look good though...better to get more healthy plants for the start.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast