1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question on ADA fertilizers regime

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For a newly setup tank, about 2 months old with Hc and stem plant, do I use all the following together?

1. Brightly K
    2. step 1
    3 green brightly special

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Question on ADA fertilizers regime

Brightly K is potassium and Step 1 are trace/micro nutrients, so both would usually be dosed together to support the overall plant growth.

Green Brightly Special (Lights and Shade versions) contain NPK and trace/micro nutrients, you can dose that instead if you find that the plants need additional N and P for growth (especially if you have low livestock bio-load or the aquasoil nutrients are getting depleted).

Note that the "Lights" version contains more N and P for fast growing plants, while the "Shade" version contains more P for encouraging root growth in heavy root feeders (ie. crypts).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Brightly K is potassium and Step 1 are trace/micro nutrients, so both would usually be dosed together to support the overall plant growth. Green Brightly Special (Lights and Shade versions) contain NPK and trace/micro nutrients, you can dose that instead if you find that the plants need additional N and P for growth (especially if you have low livestock bio-load or the aquasoil nutrients are getting depleted). Note that the "Lights" version contains more N and P for fast growing plants, while the "Shade" version contains more P for encouraging root growth in heavy root feeders (ie. crypts).
    Does it mean that if I want to dose Brightly special, I can stop Step 1?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You will need it for proper growth - Step 1 contain TEs such as, & not restricted, iron, calcium, cobalt, boron, chromium, copper, manganese, zinc and molybdenum.

Have you ever wonder shrimp dies after dosing of fertilizer? heheh..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    You will need it for proper growth - Step 1 contain TEs such as, & not restricted, iron, calcium, cobalt, boron, chromium, copper, manganese, zinc and molybdenum.

Have you ever wonder shrimp dies after dosing of fertilizer? heheh..
    I have been dosing the recommended in my shrimp tank for the past two months... I lost 2 out of the 11 newly acquired, attributed it to natural transition loses haha.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not saying dozing micronutrients means dying shrimps. Trace is mean to be minute amount. For this reason - it is trace elements (TEs). Please don't dose like, as if, tomorrow is Armageddon : ) : ) : )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Noted with thanks! I'm just worried I'm overdosing with all the three together. I can't seem to get rid of hair algae, they just keep coming back. I noticed strong growth of my HC and stem plants and at the same time hair algae came back... So not sure if it is because I'm overdosing by using all three concurrently with ECA.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It might be the lack of CO2. Please post a picture of the tank. I will like to see the plant mass.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Does it mean that if I want to dose Brightly special, I can stop Step 1?
    The Green Brightly Special (either Lights or Shade version) ferts are sort of like all-in-one ferts for ADA, as they are the ones which contain additional N and P nutrients.

I guess you can still dose Step 1 along with the Green Brightly Special, just have to know that it adds extra N and P and K/micro/trace nutrients (the additional nutrients may not be as necessary during tank startup with low initial plant density, but would be useful once plant density increases and the soil nutrients gradually get depleted).

ADA ferts tend to be quite lean as they are designed to be used in conjunction with ADA aquasoil, which already contains lots of nutrients anyways.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i tend to think that step 1 and k is adequate for a newly setup tank....
    Brighty special tend to put more than necessary...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see, I tested my N and P using API kit, N between 1st and 2nd bar, P is near to 2nd bar or 3rd bar. The rest of the Ammonia and Nitrite are all non detectable. Not sure about the other nutrients. If the N is just above the first color bar, I would believe there is a need to continue with Brightly Special?

Barmby, let me see if I can snap a quick shot tonight and PM you. Not to keen to show my algae infected tank lol.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok. Usually people go into great detail about the algae problem. In the end - I found out that the tank has only a few stalks of plants. Uhmm.. Well of course it will become a algae problem : )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    Ok. Usually people go into great detail about the algae problem. In the end - I found out that the tank has only a few stalks of plants. Uhmm.. Well of course it will become a algae problem : )
    I actually don't have lots of plants!

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hence, the delicious ADA fertilizers are going to the algae. how they love it : ) A lot to do with plants than dosing : )

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Tank is somewhat sparse. The plants are struggling. I think the lights are on for far too long and they stopped photosynthesis during light-on period then algae crept in. Probably it is new. It will take months for plants to settle and algae never give them hope

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Light period is about 6 hours, should I reduce it?