Images
    Country
    Singapore

qn on 9W UV Sterilizer and greenwater

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    to treat my greenwater effect. so bought a Jebo 9W UV sterilizer and it have been on since 10am yesterday morning. Till now is almost 22hr

the greenwater seem to reduce by 40% or more, since now the tank look clearer.

howevevr I hv a few qn here..

1). how long do I hv to ON the UV sterilizer to totally remove the greenwater? 24hr? 48hr? or?

2). afterthat, daily how many hr is recommended to ON the UV as in order not to kill too much even of the BB. 2hr? 3hr?

3). if I put timer to ON the UV for 2hr per day, when is the best time to do it? after lightoff or during the night, in the day or when the light is On

4). can I add in all the liquid fert , possatium, micro etc when the UV is now running for 24hr?

pls advise, as this is my 1st time using a UV sterilizer for my 4ft tank, I am using a Jebo 650 camister filter with flowrate abt 1220L/hr, my light is 4x36W PL (temp @ 10K) for 6hr/day

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just run the UV for a couple of days till the green water goes away. There should not be any issues with BB nor traces. Anyway, what are you trying to grow in the tank? Plants or bacteria?

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:19f27466ce="PeterGwee"]Just run the UV for a couple of days till the green water goes away. There should not be any issues with BB nor traces. Anyway, what are you trying to grow in the tank? Plants or bacteria?

Regards
    Peter Gwee [/quote:19f27466ce]

Hello Peter, plants lah of cos. LOLs
    ok so I Just continous to ON the UV for the next couple of days. so at the mean time, can I add in any nutrites for the plants? such as KNO3, KH2PO4, iron etc etc

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would it harm the fishes and shrimps in the tank if you leave it for so many days?
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also not too sure.. anyway.. today is the 2nd day (48hr) and my tank water still slighly greenish..

I am going to do 20% water chg later and set the UV to a timer whereas it will only ON 3hr per day

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:6049479e="Weirong"]Would it harm the fishes and shrimps in the tank if you leave it for so many days?[/quote:6049479e]

No I don't think it will.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    any know how many days it will take the UV to totally clear away the green water

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I ask what's the results so far? I'm thinking of getting a UV sterilizer to treat my green water as well in my 5ft.
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This was my personal experience on treating greenwater which might not apply to other tanks.

The tank size is 2 fts and power of UV lamp is 9W. UV was connected to the outlet of the canister filter and was running 24 hours for the first three days. Then 8 hours per day. Total treatment days was 14 days.

Initally, the water was so green that I can't see the background of the tanks. The water is getting better on the fourth day and on the 7th day, the background can be clearly seem. Perform 70% water change on 7th day. By the 10th day, the water was clear. Removed UV lamp on the 14th day. The water remains clear until today but that might be because I starts to plants quite a number of fast growing plants after that.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok..updated..

30 Dec 2004 , morning 10:30am
    Start the inital UV treatment.

31/12/2004
    Greenwater effect seem to reduce by 40%

1/1/2005
    Do water chg of 50%, the water become clearer

2/1/2005
    This moning. the green water seem to return, as the water is not as clear as yesterday, but it doesnt seem worst then the last time when no UV is installed.

However..... I cheated
    I added OcenFree Green Away this afternoon. now my tank is cystal clear. I will still on my UV till tmr. then I will set it to timer mode to ON for 5hr per day for another week.

I know using OcenFree Geen away will not permenantly stop the GW, so I will continoue to use the UV for 2hr/day after this treatment period is over.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You should have gotten a 11 watt rather than the 9 watt.....next, to fully utilise a UV sterilizer is that you need to follow the recommended water flow rate by the manufacturer. Passing water though the sterilizer too fast and the effects of the UVC is reduced.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi David.

thank for the advise.. I will continoue to use this for the time mean.. until next time maybe I will get another pump to direct pump in the water at a lower flowrate

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Your Jebo filter is not flow rate adjustable?.....I remember it can......
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using Jebo 615 camister filter... flowrate is approx 1250L/Hr (as stated on the box, if I rem correctly)

this camister filter can adjust flow rate meh? how? by turning the valve on the inlet and outlet hose? or adj the speed of the motor?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    by adjusting the flow valve......but if this is your main filter.... maybe not such a good idea....
    [email protected]