Country
    Singapore

Things happening lately

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

The forum has become rather quiet lately and since I have a lot of time on hand, I thought it would be nice to update on the fishes I have.

Betta coccina "Jambi". I have a reverse trio. This is an alpha male. Aggressive species. It's so bad that I have to isolate the female in a glass jar. He's slightly stress due to the camera flash.

Another photo of him

And here's the female. I have decided not to spawn this species for the time being because I am raising fry from other betta species.

I bred them once. However, it is important to note that coccina from the type locality "Jambi" are very aggressive. Pairs do not get establish even if they had mated before. The previous pair that I had, killed one another the second time I set them up for spawning.

Betta hendra "Palangkaraya" fry

It took me quite a while to have the pair spawning. It is likely attributable to the recent weather change. Previous attempts at getting the pair to lay eggs were unsuccessful. While I was about to remove the fry from the parents' tank today, I noticed some eggs in the film canister, so I've decided to leave the fry be.

Betta rubra fry

About a month old and already, there's some red color on the anal fin. I have plenty of fry from the original pair. They are almost spawning periodically. I also have some fry in the parents' tank and since there has been no witness of cannibalism, I decided to leave them with the adults.

More of them...

Foraging for food...

And have a nice day ahead...
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 2nd Jan 2015 at 01:20.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Things happening lately

The water looks pretty clean and pristine in those tanks. Rubra fry are looking good. Glad the many attempts at this species finally paid off for you SX
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Emokidz View Post
    The water looks pretty clean and pristine in those tanks. Rubra fry are looking good. Glad the many attempts at this species finally paid off for you SX
    That's right. I'm really glad. It was a pleasant surprise to see fry in the parents' tank initially. Same goes for the hendra. Now, I hope the uberis are spawning too. I set a pair up for spawning a while ago....haven't had fry from this species for a long time...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Today, I decided to fish out the rest of the rubra fry that have been with their parents. On the side note, the hendra fry have hatched. Will have to wait for them to become free-swimming.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Congrats bro!
    wild bettas,Shellies,herptiles,mudskippers,shrimps

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Betta rubra

Some updates on the fry.

Squabbling among themselves for their own "mini territory". I believe the photographed ones are likely to be males. They show some redness and
    vertical barring compared to their similar size siblings, which I think are females.

Rubra reminds me of "red tigers", especially when the males flare.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Betta rubra

And Betta uberis, I only have one or two fry from the previous spawn. I have about 15 fry initially but an ammonia spike caused a massive die off. I'm still quite upset with myself over it. This was supposed to be an outcross to improve the vigor of the species.

The male is actually displaying to the female in the other tank. I have not paired them up yet. Still waiting for the fry to grow a bit larger before I do so.