Country
    Singapore

Re: Noob here, what fish is this?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Is this CRS pregnant? My colleague told me.. the stomach look big.

Shrimp eggs are usually located under the shrimps' belly. You should be able to see it when they are pregnant.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh.. i see.. Ok, day 2, the RCS is still surviving lol. The pair are hiding inside the plant.
    Btw, east ocean custom make cabinet is nice !! But not cheap lo
    There are three important words when it comes to buying new things.

Cheap. Good. Fast.

You can have two words in a sentence at a time. i.e., Cheap and good. Fast and good.
    If you do manage to get a deal where all 3 words come together, then that is when you got to be wary.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Btw, east ocean custom make cabinet is nice !! But not cheap lo

60 x 45 x 45cm Opti- Clear Tank Set Package
    $480
    Package includes:
    - ANS Opti-Clear Tank 60W (60 x 45 x 45cm) : $180
    - Custom Cabinet (60cm x 45cm x 80cm) : $280
    - Free Delivery
    - Get 10% off for all accessories in store (Filter, Light, Media, etc.....)
    **** Instant Stock*****

Attachment 46080
    The "60W" L60cm x W45cm x H45cm tank dimensions are a less common size for ready-made crystal tanks (compared to the standard "60M" L60cm x W30cm x H36cm tank dimensions, which work out to 64 liters), and it is almost double the water volume too, working out to 121+ liters (the glass is also thicker to handle the larger water volume)... hence the price of such tanks tend to cost quite alot more.

Same for the cabinet, its built wider to accommodate the tank dimensions and weight, so it'll cost more too.

That package deal is actually quite okay for a tank setup of those dimensions and design.

I guess if you were to go for the more "standard" 2ft tank and cabinet dimensions, then can follow your previous budget calculations (ie. buy the crystal tank off-the-shelf from Seaview and custom make the cabinet at CR Aquarium).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The "60W" L60cm x W45cm x H45cm tank dimensions are a less common size for ready-made crystal tanks (compared to the standard "60M" L60cm x W30cm x H36cm tank dimensions, which work out to 64 liters), and it is almost double the water volume too, working out to 121+ liters (the glass is also thicker to handle the larger water volume)... hence the price of such tanks tend to cost quite alot more.

Same for the cabinet, its built wider to accommodate the tank dimensions and weight, so it'll cost more too.

That package deal is actually quite okay for a tank setup of those dimensions and design.

I guess if you were to go for the more "standard" 2ft tank and cabinet dimensions, then can follow your previous budget calculations (ie. buy the crystal tank off-the-shelf from Seaview and custom make the cabinet at CR Aquarium).
    Ok. I like the east ocean white cabinet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I went to green chapter and they advise me to get ODYSSEA QUAD 2ft (T5HO) ?

Is it better to get T5? I plan to do low tech planted tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I went to green chapter and they advise me to get ODYSSEA QUAD 2ft (T5HO) ?

Is it better to get T5? I plan to do low tech planted tank.
    Both can work, just have to gauge the light intensity and adjust the lightset distance and photoperiod duration to match your tank's light requirements.

Just note that while T5 fluorescent lights are cheaper initially, you'll need to remember to replace the light tubes regularly as their intensity decreases over time (usually every 6-12 months, depending on usage and tube quality) and can run quite hot (alot of its power tends to be wasted as heat) so it may contribute to increasing the temperature of your tank.

Maybe you could also consider LED lights instead, they cost more initially but are much more power efficient, run alot cooler and have very long working lifespans. In addition, their casing designs are usually alot slimmer and much more compact (not large and bulky like T5 light casings).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Both can work, just have to gauge the light intensity and adjust the lightset distance and photoperiod duration to match your tank's light requirements.

Just note that while T5 fluorescent lights are cheaper initially, you'll need to remember to replace the light tubes regularly as their intensity decreases over time (usually every 6-12 months, depending on usage and tube quality) and can run quite hot (alot of its power tends to be wasted as heat) so it may contribute to increasing the temperature of your tank.

Maybe you could also consider LED lights instead, they cost more initially but are much more power efficient, run alot cooler and have very long working lifespans. In addition, their casing designs are usually alot slimmer and much more compact (not large and bulky like T5 light casings).
    Any particular brand? Price?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) - Dry Start Method - What is the diff between wet start and dry start? I planning to plant HC on my 2FT soon. Any suggestion? Where to buy HC plant? I went to seaview.. cannot find.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any particular brand? Price?
    For low-tech tank setups, you could look at the Up Aqua Z-Series Pro LED 60cm version, it usually retails for S$76.80... currently you can get it from Seaview with 15% discount, so it works out to S$65.28.

Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) - Dry Start Method - What is the diff between wet start and dry start? I planning to plant HC on my 2FT soon. Any suggestion? Where to buy HC plant? I went to seaview.. cannot find.
    Dry start method (DSM) just means growing out plants in a tank without submerging them underwater. The plants and soil are misted regularly to keep them hydrated (but not water logged or submersed). Plant growth is naturally faster because they have unlimited access to Co2 directly from the air and you can run very long light periods to turbo boost growth since there wouldn't be any issues with algae.

Its basically like maintaining an indoor garden or terrarium.

Once the plants establish and grow out fully, then you can fill the tank with water and resume their growth submerged like in a normal tank.

You can usually get HC from places like C328, Polyart or Seaview... they are often packed in pots or plastic cartons in rectangular mats, sometimes even tied to rocks or steel mesh. HC is very popular and tends to be sold out very quickly though, so you'll have to check at the various LFS regularly to find them.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For low-tech tank setups, you could look at the Up Aqua Z-Series Pro LED 60cm version, it usually retails for S$76.80... currently you can get it from Seaview with 15% discount, so it works out to S$65.28.

Dry start method (DSM) just means growing out plants in a tank without submerging them underwater. The plants and soil are misted regularly to keep them hydrated (but not water logged or submersed). Plant growth is naturally faster because they have unlimited access to Co2 directly from the air and you can run very long light periods to turbo boost growth since there wouldn't be any issues with algae.

Its basically like maintaining an indoor garden or terrarium.

Once the plants establish and grow out fully, then you can fill the tank with water and resume their growth submerged like in a normal tank.

You can usually get HC from places like C328, Polyart or Seaview... they are often packed in pots or plastic cartons in rectangular mats, sometimes even tied to rocks or steel mesh. HC is very popular and tends to be sold out very quickly though, so you'll have to check at the various LFS regularly to find them.
    DSM seem like very long method. If I start with normal wet method, should u think I need co2? Intend to do planted tank with tetra and some shrimp. What is brand of co2 u will recommend. Btw what is lily pipe for? In and out pipe for canister?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Btw I order my fish tank with cabinet from green chapter. It is normal gush 2ft tank. Now left the canister n lightning.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

DSM seem like very long method. If I start with normal wet method, should u think I need co2?
    Well... DSM is supposed to give plants the benefit of accessing ample Co2 direct from the air and allow for long photo-periods without algae issues, so you can get faster plant growth yet also have less problems to deal with.

The amount of time it takes to grow out many plants would be way longer (and they would most likely have to battle with algae) if you were to grow them submersed in a tank without Co2 injection. I guess you have to try growing certain types of plants in low-tech tanks to experience the true meaning of patience.

If you want to grow plants faster in a normally setup tank that is filled with water from the start, then you'll definitely need to use Co2 injection. It will ensure that the plants get ample carbon supply (along with sufficient nutrients and light) to increase their photosynthesis and growth rate.

What is brand of co2 u will recommend.
    It'll be best to get a complete Co2 system with solenoid regulator, so that you can put it on a timer and schedule the Co2 injection to match the lights photoperiod duration. Once setup and calibrated, it will automatically operate on its own everyday without requiring any further supervision. A 2 liter Co2 tank would be sufficient for a 2ft tank, you could also get larger Co2 tanks if your budget and space permits too, it'll just be able to last longer between refills.

You can check out a link to this Co2 system promo from East Ocean for reference (it comes with all the necessary parts and accessories included): http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...year-Promotion! (not sure if they still carry on the promo though).

Btw what is lily pipe for? In and out pipe for canister?
    Lily pipes are meant to replace the canister filter's original plastic inlet and outflow pipes... glass lily pipes come in various shapes and designs to create specific types of flow patterns in a tank, and they look alot nicer compared to those original green or grey plastic pipes.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well... DSM is supposed to give plants the benefit of accessing ample Co2 direct from the air and allow for long photo-periods without algae issues, so you can get faster plant growth yet also have less problems to deal with.

The amount of time it takes to grow out many plants would be way longer (and they would most likely have to battle with algae) if you were to grow them submersed in a tank without Co2 injection. I guess you have to try growing certain types of plants in low-tech tanks to experience the true meaning of patience.

If you want to grow plants faster in a normally setup tank that is filled with water from the start, then you'll definitely need to use Co2 injection. It will ensure that the plants get ample carbon supply (along with sufficient nutrients and light) to increase their photosynthesis and growth rate.

It'll be best to get a complete Co2 system with solenoid regulator, so that you can put it on a timer and schedule the Co2 injection to match the lights photoperiod duration. Once setup and calibrated, it will automatically operate on its own everyday without requiring any further supervision. A 2 liter Co2 tank would be sufficient for a 2ft tank, you could also get larger Co2 tanks if your budget and space permits too, it'll just be able to last longer between refills.

You can check out a link to this Co2 system promo from East Ocean for reference (it comes with all the necessary parts and accessories included): http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...year-Promotion! (not sure if they still carry on the promo though).

Lily pipes are meant to replace the canister filter's original plastic inlet and outflow pipes... glass lily pipes come in various shapes and designs to create specific types of flow patterns in a tank, and they look alot nicer compared to those original green or grey plastic pipes.
    Tks for the advice bro. I went to east ocean last few day, the shop is really damn small le. Prices there are not cheap too. Still prefer seaview.
    Btw, while waiting for my 2FT tank, I got myself one small box of HC plant and hopefully got good result. I also got a disposable Co2, some Taiwan cheap brand.
    Sorry for my ugly and noob planted, haha, it is not easy to plant HC with full height of water.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For a 2ft tank, i would recommend a canister filter with flow rate between 400-700 l/ph, so the ones you could consider are Eheim models like the Classic 2213 or 2215, Ecco Pro 130, 200 or 300, Professional 2224 etc (the larger models with higher flow rates would be preferable if your budget allows).

If you plan to connect additional inline equipment to the canister filter in the future (ie. chiller, inline Co2 diffuser or reactor etc), then it'll be best to go for the higher flow rate canister filter models as there will be a reduction in flow as more additional equipment are connected.

As for lights, if it's a low tech tank without Co2 injection, then i'd recommend just one set of Up Aqua Z-Series Pro LED lights would be more than sufficient.
    Hi UA, i will getting my cansister this weekend, i really lose which ehiem model to get? Preferably below $200, Ecco Pro model will be more slient right?
    Btw, i had brought the Up-aqua U series, it really bright man !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA, i will getting my cansister this weekend, i really lose which ehiem model to get? Preferably below $200, Ecco Pro model will be more slient right?
    Well, all of the Eheim canister filter models are similarly silent, it just depends on what flow rate and filtration volume you want, and any extra features you prefer... and ultimately your budget.

The Classic models like 2213 or 2215 are abit cheaper but don't come with double taps, so if you have to buy those separately, they will add to the overall cost.

Ecco Pro models come with inbuilt taps (so you don't need to spend more to buy them separately), is more power efficient (consumes less electricity) and has the easy priming feature, but they costs abit more.

For under $200, you can look at getting the Classic 2213 (along with a set of double taps) or an Ecco Pro 130. You'll just have to compare the total costs to see which is more worth it.

If you bump up your budget abit more, you can also go for the 2215 or Ecco Pro 200 or 300 models (their cost difference is usually only an extra $30-$40, so it may actually be worth paying just abit more to get their higher filtration volumes and flow rates).

Btw, i had brought the Up-aqua U series, it really bright man !
    You bought the U-Series lights? Where did you find them?
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well, all of the Eheim canister filter models are similarly silent, it just depends on what flow rate and filtration volume you want, and any extra features you prefer... and ultimately your budget.

The Classic models like 2213 or 2215 are abit cheaper but don't come with double taps, so if you have to buy those separately, they will add to the overall cost.

Ecco Pro models come with inbuilt taps (so you don't need to spend more to buy them separately), is more power efficient (consumes less electricity) and has the easy priming feature, but they costs abit more.

For under $200, you can look at getting the Classic 2213 (along with a set of double taps) or an Ecco Pro 130. You'll just have to compare the total costs to see which is more worth it.

If you bump up your budget abit more, you can also go for the 2215 or Ecco Pro 200 or 300 models (their cost difference is usually only an extra $30-$40, so it may actually be worth paying just abit more to get their higher filtration volumes and flow rates).

You bought the U-Series lights? Where did you find them?
    Hi UA, most probably i will get the ecco pro series. I got the LED u series from marketplace. He claim that it is new and never use before. I tested, it look new to me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

you're using the U series on a 25 cm cube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    you're using the U series on a 25 cm cube?

No la, for my 2FT tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No la, for my 2FT tank.
    haha okay got me worried there. I saw the ad for the U series too. was wondering why he sold it away so quick..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    haha okay got me worried there. I saw the ad for the U series too. was wondering why he sold it away so quick..

Oh, i ask him too. He claim that his current lightning hard to sell. Then he must well sell the U series, wait for price to drop, then he get another one lol.
    It look new to me, with all the bubble bag wrap around. Well if you buy something online, just need a bit of trust. More ever, LED not so easily spoil.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast