Country
    Singapore

Noob here, what fish is this?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Hi all,

It is red colour with spots. Anyone know what type of fish is that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Noob here, what fish is this?

Jewel cichlid
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sheng View Post
    Jewel cichlid
    Thanks Andrew, unfortunately, my fish all dead when i wake up this morning.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do you know what went wrong?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    Do you know what went wrong?
    *sigh, i think i never put the water conditioner. I thought, i let the water sit for 24 hour should be ok.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i think it might be more that that. Jewel cichlid are quite hardy to my understanding. Did you check your tank parameters before introducing the fish to the tank?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My tank is 19.4x23x25cm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I meant the chemical parameters of the tank? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, gH?

I personally think your tank might be a little small for a cichild. They need a little more space to move around due to their natural behavior.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

New tank syndrome perhaps?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Frm the cloudy water, im guessing u didnt cycle the tank right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ya.. cloud water.. but overnight, the cloudy is clear.. but my fish are dead haha. I never use the testing kit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok. Maybe you want to research more and find out more about the fish before you buy it the next time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    Ok. Maybe you want to research more and find out more about the fish before you buy it the next time.
    Ya.. i want to start off as planted in nano tanks. Any tips?

Item i need

1) Soil - Any particular brand for my small tank ?
    2) Fertilizer
    3) Water conditioner
    4) Seachem Excel <-- Is this really needed for level light and easy to maintain plants?
    5) Plants <-- Not sure which type, but definitely is the easy to maintain type
    6) Scaping -(Rocks, branches, etc)

I need to sit in the water for at least two week or so before i can add in fish or shrimp?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Some recommendations based on my own experiences with nano planted tanks...

1) Soil = ADA Amazonia Aquasoil.

2) Fertilizer = Seachem Flourish Comprehensive or Tropica Premium (these fertilizers contain mainly micro/trace nutrients, as macro nutrients will usually be released in ample amounts from the ADA aquasoil for the first few months).

3) Water Conditioner = Seachem Prime.

4) Seachem Excel = Good to dose at recommended amounts, it is very useful as a liquid carbon supplement, helps improve plant growth.

5) Plants = Go for the low-demand easy plants at the start. Check the Tropica "Easy" Plant List for some reference: http://tropica.com/en/plants/?tabIndex=1&alias=Easy

6) Scaping = Check at aquascaping shops like Green Chapter, Fishy Business, East Ocean, Aquarist Avenue, Sun Pets etc. They'll have a wide selection of various rock and wood hardscape.

Essential additional items (based on your nano 10+ liter tank size)...

7) Light = Up Aqua T-Series 30cm LED Lights (or the similar Top Aqua brand versions), it'll be sufficient for low tech tanks with easy growing plants.

8 ) Filtration = Hang-on filter (ie. Dophin H80) or even better a compact canister filter (ie. Eden 501 or Shiruba XB-301 or Boyu EF05).

Optional but will help ALOT...

9) Test Kits = API Freshwater Master Test Kit (measures ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH), this will help monitor the water conditions during and after the cycling period.

10) Upgrade to a larger tank = Best if can be 2ft or larger tank. More water volume means more stable water parameters, much easier to maintain optimal tank conditions for both the plants and fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    I need to sit in the water for at least two week or so before i can add in fish or shrimp?
    Letting the tank water just sitting for two weeks doesn't guarantee its cycled. You have to test the water to make sure ammonia and nitrite are consistently at zero, and only nitrate shows readings, then the tank can be considered cycled.

For tanks with nutrient rich soil substrates, the cycling process can take up to 6-8 weeks (sometimes longer, it depends on various factors like filtration efficiency, plant density etc). During the tank cycling period, just focus on growing out the plants without any livestock. Once the tank is fully cycled, then you can add in fishes slowly in stages.

As with everything in this hobby, its all about patience.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 10th Dec 2014 at 16:41.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Some recommendations based on my own experiences with nano planted tanks...

1) Soil = ADA Amazonia Aquasoil.

2) Fertilizer = Seachem Flourish Comprehensive or Tropica Premium (these fertilizers contain mainly micro/trace nutrients, as macro nutrients will usually be released in ample amounts from the ADA aquasoil for the first few months).

3) Water Conditioner = Seachem Prime.

4) Seachem Excel = Good to dose at recommended amounts, it is very useful as a liquid carbon supplement, helps improve plant growth.

5) Plants = Go for the low-demand easy plants at the start. Check the Tropica "Easy" Plant List for some reference: http://tropica.com/en/plants/?tabIndex=1&alias=Easy

6) Scaping = Check at aquascaping shops like Green Chapter, Fishy Business, East Ocean, Aquarist Avenue, Sun Pets etc. They'll have a wide selection of various rock and wood hardscape.

Essential additional items (based on your nano 10+ liter tank size)...

7) Light = Up Aqua T-Series 30cm LED Lights (or the similar Top Aqua brand versions), it'll be sufficient for low tech tanks with easy growing plants.

8 ) Filtration = Hang-on filter (ie. Dophin H80) or even better a compact canister filter (ie. Eden 501 or Shiruba XB-301 or Boyu EF05).

Optional but will help ALOT...

9) Test Kits = API Freshwater Master Test Kit (measures ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH), this will help monitor the water conditions during and after the cycling period.

10) Upgrade to a larger tank = Best if can be 2ft or larger tank. More water volume means more stable water parameters, much easier to maintain optimal tank conditions for both the plants and fishes.

Letting the tank water just sitting for two weeks doesn't guarantee its cycled. You have to test the water to make sure ammonia and nitrite are consistently at zero, and only nitrate shows readings, then the tank can be considered cycled.

For tanks with nutrient rich soil substrates, the cycling process can take up to 6-8 weeks (sometimes longer, it depends on various factors like filtration efficiency, plant density etc). During the tank cycling period, just focus on growing out the plants without any livestock. Once the tank is fully cycled, then you can add in fishes slowly in stages.

As with everything in this hobby, its all about patience.
    My tank only 23cm width. Can fix the 30cm LED light? Just fix my planted tank. A bit cloudy. Will take a pic tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My tank only 23cm width. Can fix the 30cm LED light? Just fix my planted tank. A bit cloudy. Will take a pic tomorrow.
    Its possible, just place it sitting across the top... otherwise you can also get those smaller clip-on models with flexible necks, those would fit better.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Its possible, just place it sitting across the top... otherwise you can also get those smaller clip-on models with flexible necks, those would fit better.

Picture taken on this morning, seem like my aquazonic LED not strong enough. The water also looks a bit cloudy. BTW this is my first attempt on planted nano tank lol. It is a bit cluttered. I am worried the 30cm LED light cant fix my nano tank. Do you have any sample pic how to fix it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Picture taken on this morning, seem like my aquazonic LED not strong enough. The water also looks a bit cloudy. BTW this is my first attempt on planted nano tank lol. It is a bit cluttered. I am worried the 30cm LED light cant fix my nano tank. Do you have any sample pic how to fix it?
    Yeah, that particular Aquazonic clip-on LED light thats currently on your tank looks rather dim... you can look at the Up Aqua or Top Aqua clip-on LED lights available at most LFS instead, they use higher powered LEDs which are designed with specific spectrums for growing plants (no need for the larger 30cm ones that sit across the tank, as they'll just look abit oversized for your small tank).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, that particular Aquazonic clip-on LED light thats currently on your tank looks rather dim... you can look at the Up Aqua or Top Aqua clip-on LED lights available at most LFS instead, they use higher powered LEDs which are designed with specific spectrums for growing plants (no need for the larger 30cm ones that sit across the tank, as they'll just look abit oversized for your small tank).
    Yeah, that is my thought too. U have any idea how much is it? Any particular shop that offer good price. I went to Y618, a lot of ppl.

Last edited by Dscheng; 11th Dec 2014 at 14:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any particular shop that offer good price.
    The reputable shops are all priced about the same. Maybe plus-minus 10%. Whatever savings you get at the cheapest shop, it would probably be made neutral by the traveling expenses at the end of the day if you are just getting one or two items.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast