Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    excuse me,im from indonesia,,,,hehe
    i have a tank
    100 x 50 x 50
    with co2
    108 watt of lamp.

i want to know if the light is ok for my tank?what is the best calculation between size of tank and wattage of the lamp?anyone can help me?

otherway,i have some mosses from my uncle tanks,i think that was xmast most,but i have some problem.
    the moss that my uncle gave are having hair algae(something like hair algae,green colour and looks like hair,i dunno what type of algae)

is it ok to direct add that moss to my planted tank?im afraid thaat the algae will infected my tank?how can i remove them?

my uncle have alot of snail in his tanks,im afraid that the snail has laid some eggs in the xmast moss that he gave to me?how can i remove the eggs?by bleaching it?or what
    i dont want to bring some little "paracite" friends to my tanks! u know,the small snail was a big problem to entire tank!hehe,,,how can i remove it???

regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The best is to remove the hair algae before putting it into your tank. Hair algae is a pretty cumbersome algae to remove.

To remove the hair algae, put the moss in a separate tank without and fertilizer in it and at the same time, put lots of yamatoes shrimps to clean up the algae.

Another method of remove hair algae is to prevent the moss from exposing to light source. You could use a Erythromycin but i would not advise you to use it(useless you really can't get rid of the hair algae) to remove the hair algae.

You could use bleach or the anti-snail solution to remove the snail's eggs or put in a tiny puffer fish and it will take care of all your snail's problems.

Solve all your hair algae and snail's problem before adding the moss to your tank or else you will regret.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    introduce dwarf puffer fish to rid of the snails problem....its reallly work for me!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d07a654d00="richietay"]introduce dwarf puffer fish to rid of the snails problem....its reallly work for me!![/quote:d07a654d00]

Puffer fish will eat only live food. The snail population will probably be wiped out in about 2-3 days. After that be prepared to feed live food daily to the puffer, otherwise, it will starve to death.

I usually discourage puffers. Try fishes like loaches or rams.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try bleaching. Moss is pretty tough and can take it. It'll take care of the algae, and maybe the snail eggs and otehr micro-organisms in the moss.

You'll need to search the web for the method. I think some people in the forum might know, so you can try asking too.

DOUBLE-CHECK these instructions because I can't remember the exact details, but basically:
    1. prepare a solution of 20 parts water to 1 part chlorine bleach.
    2. put solution in a bag, drop in the moss, tie the bag, shake.
    3. leave the moss in the solution for 2 mins. * edited the time *
    4. remove and rinse the moss throughly several times.
    5. quarantine the moss in a separate tank for a few days. change water daily.
    6. put moss in main tank.

IMPORTANT: Use rubber gloves when handling the chlorine bleach.

Before you do the whole batch of moss, test the method on small amounts.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err... I have a strange feeling that moss might not withstand the bleaching at all. I have tried H2O2 on the moss and the following day all the moss died.

Anyway, you can try on a small batch of the moss and not to over expose the moss to the bleach.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Errr..Vinz did you mistake anubias for moss in this case? Moss can handle blackouts real good though.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope, I'm sure I've read of ppl doing bleach on moss. I think the timing has to be shorter. But seriously, anyone wanting to try this, should go search more about it first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In the article from Aquabotanic...

"...I've even had Java moss survive 2 minutes..."

"...There are not very many aquarium plants that can't stand 3 minutes. Najas, Java moss and Ceratophyllum are the only ones I can think of presently..."

Well, you just have to be careful not to over expose it to the bleach.

BC

Feedback Score

thank

thank for all advices

i did a natural way to remove the "hair"
    i taked the moss and quarantined it with some mosquito shrimp and molly.in 2 days i think the "hair"was gone!haha!i'm sure the mosquitos shrimp have done his job!

i dont want to take bleaching way coz it so risky , xmast moss are so expensive here in indo !.i dont want to kill em

btw i have a new tank , 80cm x 40cm,i dont know what kind of good base fertilizer that u guyz ussually used.....i think i prefer JBL than denerlee cause denrle cost so much for my wallet.is it ok to use jbl?any comment?

i already search in this forum and didnt have any good comment on JBL.

btw,im sorry with my english,my english is so bad with bad grammar and vocab,,,,,,,,,sorry

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't reproach yourself, your english is way better than some of us Singaporeans

JBL is good and cheap. I think it's pretty popular around here ( not many of us can have that kind of money to spend on Dennerle products.... well at least not me :P )