Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tank Size - 5.3 US Gal
    Light - Flexi Mini LED
    Photoperiod - 4 hrs + 4 hrs
    CO2 - 1 bubble per 4 secs (24 hrs)
    Substrate - ADAPowder Amazonia
    Plants - Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Rotala sp Green and Red, Hydrocotyle Tripartita
    Fauna - See image
    AquStockImage.php.png

Would dosing Flourish (twice weekly) and Brighty K (daily) be enough to keep these plants going? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Flourish + Brighty K enough?

based on my experience, hydrocotyle tripartita loves a lot of phosphorus.
    You can just observe them as they grow. If you start to see yellowing on the sides of older leaves and twisting on both old and new, you can try to add a little bit of phosphorus. They grow very fast though.

For rotala sp your dosing should be enough. Even on my low-light (1WPG), non-CO2 tank it grows. slower than a CO2 injected tank with higher lighting but still thrives.

For HC i'm not sure. Never had that plant before. Monte carlo is an amazing alternative though. It's a carpet fiesta and very undemanding.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Since you are using ADA Amazonia aquasoil, the Flourish + Brightly K fert combo should be sufficient for at least the initial few months.

Once your tank is cycled and stable, and you start spotting N or P deficiencies in the plants, then dose more of those specific fertilizers (or feed the livestock abit more to generate more of those nutrients).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The leaves on the Rotala sp Red are turning brown/black. New growth is green?

DSC01139.jpg

The new growth leaves on the sp Green are turning transparent on edges.

DSC01138.jpg

My tank is about a month old. Not sure if it is fully cycled. I only have ph, kh and gh test kits. I've not added any fauna. I am also dosing excel in addition to the above fert.

What are the likely causes? Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bottom leaves of rotala or most stem plants tend to turn bad due to lack of exposure to light and nutrients (hence the importance of water flow).
    Did you plant them as bunch? If yes, how many stems per bunch? I usually plant stem plants one stalk per inch, bunching 2 stalks the most. This is to allow lower leaves to have a chance at light and nutrients. You just have to trim them to make them thick and lush.

Typically a transparent leaves can be sign of nitrogen deficiency. But since the tank is new, I expect to have abundance of ammonia and nitrate so I can assume that is not the cause. However, assumptions can kill so if you ask me, I would invest on an ammonia and nitrate test kit. It's worth it as investment. The most important test kit for any aquarium tank out there whether its fresh water fish, fresh water planted, or salt water tank.

If transparent leaves are new growth, it can be iron deficiency.
    Or maybe it is still trying to adjust to the tank. I guess you can just leave it and observe it they will get better in the next few days.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I planted 1 stalk per 1/2 inch. Guess i'll just observe for a couple of weeks and see how it goes Thanks!