Country
    Singapore

RO/DI system

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I'm new to the hobby and I've heard that some shrimps requires RO/DI water.

I've done some research and it seems to have different number of stages. How many stages is recommended for shrimp tank?

Any idea where to purchase a RO/DI system, and the cost?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: RO/DI system

A preferred amount of stage would be a 6 stage RO filter. The price can range from $200 - a couple of thousands.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: RO/DI system

Shrimps need specific pH, GH/KH, TDS that is hard to achieve when starting with tap water.
    Hence RO/DI would is a good starting point to add specific shrimp salts to achieve ideal water parameters.

Ideally, you want to achieve 0 TDS.
    Generally, more stages will give longer overall life of each of the filter components (i.e. can last more liters). Higher end systems have higher throughput (more liters per hour)

It all depends on the size of your tank to determine the production volume & rate.

Some 2 stage filter system can provide 0 TDS, but water needs to drip out slowly to achieve it. The resin cant last very many liters too - but if one has a 10L nano tank, perhaps this is good enough.

Typically for 2 - 3 ft tanks use 3 - 5 stage filters.
    Larger tanks use 5-6 stage filters due to larger volume requirements.

Note that 5 stage filters usually use higher rated RO membranes. These need minimum 50 PSI water pressure. Most apartment pressure here in SGP will only hover around 35PSI. Hence a booster pump is needed. ($100+)
    Note that once a RO membrane is used, they typically have a 1:4 production rate. That is, 1 part 0 TDS water, 3 part waste water.

RO/DI systems are cheapest to purchase from overseas. Somehow its crazy expensive in SGP.
    Alternatively, Madpetz (popular marine fish equipment shop) is having a closing down sale. Their RO/DI systems are going for 50% discount.
    Call to check to be sure they have stock as its selling out fast due to the crazy prices.

Typical RO/DI prices can be found here :
    http://www.madpetz.com.sg//index.php...x&cPath=1_7_51

As mentioned, they are having a 50% discount till end Jan 2015.