Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Seachem Iron + Seachem Flourish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Seachem Iron + Seachem Flourish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Seachem Iron and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.
    As stated in the in the contents of Comprehensive do contain iron with other trace elements, while iron is separate on its own.
    It is recommended by Seachem to use both Flourish and Iron together.

So I was wondering since currently I am dosing EI with K2SO4, KH2PO4, Seachem Nitrogen, Flourish Comprehensive and Excel, do I need Iron separately to dose? I believe I am facing some iron deficiency right now with rotala rotundifolia. I only have stem plants (rotala and bacopa) and moss in my 2ft tank with DIY co2 and I am using Pro Z series LED.

Another iron related question, I have read excess iron do cause iron toxicity, is it true? I have previously experienced with brown patches on older rotala rotundifolia leaves.

Anyone who have any related questions or opinions do share too

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Seachem Iron + Seachem Flourish?

There is usually sufficient iron in the all-in-one fertilizers like Flourish Comprehensive for most planted tanks, but if you have alot of plant density (especially lots of fast growing leafy plants) and you detect signs of iron deficiency in the plants, ie. yellowing of the entire plant, then it'll be good to dose additional iron fertilizers.

As for iron toxicity, i've only read about it affecting slower growing plants like anubias, where their leaves may take in too much iron and start displaying brown patches, but that requires alot of iron content in the water for that to happen, certainly way more than what occurs naturally in a planted tank (unless the iron was purposely overdosed at extremely high amounts).

If you see brown patches on older leaves of fast growing plants like rotala rotundifolia, then its most likely just the older leaves naturally aging and deteriorating over time... leaves on such fast growing plants tend to have relatively short lifespans anyways (hence they need to be trimmed and maintained regularly).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply UA, I might have previously overdosed Flourish of 0.16ppm Fe 3 times a week with lower plant density thus resulting in possibly iron toxicity. I know EI recommends 0.5ppm Fe a week and I might be overdosing.
    The picture below shows the brown patches on rotala leaves from previous overdose.
    20141226_111001.jpg

I believe I am facing iron deficiency with yellow leaves (not entire plant as UA mentioned) as shown in the below 3 pictures.
    20141226_111124.jpg20141226_111242.jpg20141226_115545.jpg

From the left and middle picture above, the rotala in the background was bought recently in submerged form with lower red leaves dropping off and green leaves growing on top. I noticed the difference in the stem thickness and softer leaf structure as compared to the older rotala in the middle picture.

The picture on the right also shows yellow leaves growing across the water surface.

This observations suggested an iron deficiency which after I cut back my Flourish dosing to 0.08ppm Fe 3 times a week and increased plant density.

I hope these pictures helps to determine if additional iron is needed.

I got another nutrient related question, since I dose 1/4 tsp of equilibrium after 50% weekly change which raise 0.5dGH, is the magnesium in the water level sufficient? Do I need MgSO4?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

have you tested your NPK levels before water change?

I had the same problem before and was going crazy for a month figuring out what sort of deficiency my plants are suffering from.
    I never thought about NPK levels since based on EI dosing, I expect to have more than enough.
    Then I realized that in my tank, despite daily dosing of PO4 at 1ppm everyday (which is well within EI range), my phospate levels are still 0ppm by week's end, while my nitrates are >40ppm.
    When I upped my PO4 dosing to >2ppm daily, things started to get better and since then it's been happy days.

I also realized that it's hard for plants to have micronutrients deficiency unless you really are not dosing anything at all for weeks.
    By the way I also dose 5g (+1dGH for 65L tank) equilibrium during water change, 10ml seachem flourish trace, 10ml seachem iron weekly for micro supplement.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Allan, thanks for the reply. I have not tested my water before water change and I didn't think of that at all. A pity I only own ammonia and nitrite test kits. Maybe I should bring my water to lfs to test considering the price of nitrate and phosphate test kits, I can buy more ferts. Ok looks like my equilibrium dosing can double if necessary.

Oh I am curious, is your tank in the medium or high light range to cause such high phosphate uptake despite daily dosing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vipered View Post
    Hi Allan, thanks for the reply. I have not tested my water before water change and I didn't think of that at all. A pity I only own ammonia and nitrite test kits. Maybe I should bring my water to lfs to test considering the price of nitrate and phosphate test kits, I can buy more ferts. Ok looks like my equilibrium dosing can double if necessary.

Oh I am curious, is your tank in the medium or high light range to cause such high phosphate uptake despite daily dosing?
    My tank is on 3WPG T5HO's. I believe that falls into medium light range but I guess it depends on what plants you keep. At that intensity my monte carlo growth is slow but hydrocotyle tripartita grows like crazy and thick. tripartita leaves start to curl when I dial down on phosphate dosing.