Images
    Country
    Singapore

Beard algae problem on java moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, problem as in title. This is a 1' tank. Only plants inside are Anubias and Java moss. This moss I added about two weeks ago. I've just noticed traces of green beard algae on the moss. I had this problem a while ago with my Java Windelov, which is no longer in the tank. What do you guys recommend as a solution. I know this is a kind of basic question. I'm new to using Java moss (in this case as a spawning medium for guppies). Should I use Yamato shrimp? I have an overhead filter, while shrimp be lost through it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A short term remedy is to simply trim off the infected leaves. People also use hydrogen peroxide to kill off the BBA.

A long term solution will be make sure nutrient levels are stable in your tank, especially c02.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you could remove those thread green algae with a toothbrush or cotton bud......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used Yamato Shrimps to remove the green hair algae from my Java Moss. It worked. But after they finished, they also nibbled on the moss. BTW - how much lighting did you use for your 1ft tank?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks everyone, I think my problem is mainly due to an excess of nutrients, leading to algae growth. I have green spot algae on my anubias as well. My lighting is 11W, no CO2. Moderate bioload with about 25 guppies, platies and neons. The hair algae is not serious, I'm just trying to arrest its growth. Will try and remove as much of the algae as possible.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I dont know how big is your tank.....but judging that you have 11 watts means its a small tank?

If you have 25 fishes in a small tank, your bioload is heavy......the ratio rough equates to 10 small fish to 100 liters of water......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...