1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aluminium Profile Rack Discussion

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    He wan steel rack leh. 211 quite easy to find. Sometimes marketplace will pop out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by matashi View Post
    He wan steel rack leh. 211 quite easy to find. Sometimes marketplace will pop out

Yes 3 tier 211, do your sale speech,like alum is better than steel...
    You can do it......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I wait for muar_chee set up his first enough. also I not selling anything. Don't pm me ask price ok

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I wait for muar_chee set up his first enough.

Photo from Google Images.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Have anyone bought from this company? I would like to know the price range,if it is too expensive i
    will stick to teck cheong aluminuim at jalan besar stadium.Anyone?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Teck cheong have good price. But might have problem if you need lengths of less than 4ft. They can be persuaded to help but usually reluctant. Sometimes depends on their mood also.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That is true... have you contacted Prestech for quotation?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Erh.. Not to pour cold water, aluminium profile, it's property is too soft, it will not able to restand the weight of the tank

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Agree that Teck Cheong is cheaper but their minimum cut length is 1.2m. They use regular rotary saw & measuring tape & wont guarantee accurate measurement.

I've built a light stand with material from Prestech.
    For rough reference, 5m of 3030 profile (30mm x 30mm slot is $42.50. The angle brackets are about $1.50. Slot nuts are about $0.60.
    They cut to various lengths upon email request.

These profiles are used for industrial manufacturing purposes.
    Select the right sized profiles & cross brace design. Supporting a 3ft (300kg?) or 6ft (1 ton) is not an issue.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There are many tanks that are supported by these aluminium profiles. From long rectangular tank to 4ft by 4ft square tank are supported by these aluminium profiles. I've seen tanks from Germany to UK and USA and even in Singapore, are using these aluminium profiles.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    Erh.. Not to pour cold water, aluminium profile, it's property is too soft, it will not able to restand the weight of the tank
    It will stand heavy load if you know how to set it and choose the right profile.Here is a few example.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1692358
    http://glassbox-design.com/2009/3-un...ds-from-japan/
    http://166.78.194.236/forums/showthr...2196181&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by Suzerolt View Post
    Agree that Teck Cheong is cheaper but their minimum cut length is 1.2m. They use regular rotary saw & measuring tape & wont guarantee accurate measurement.

I've built a light stand with material from Prestech.
    For rough reference, 5m of 3030 profile (30mm x 30mm slot is $42.50. The angle brackets are about $1.50. Slot nuts are about $0.60.
    They cut to various lengths upon email request.

These profiles are used for industrial manufacturing purposes.
    Select the right sized profiles & cross brace design. Supporting a 3ft (300kg?) or 6ft (1 ton) is not an issue.
    Shoot! 5m 3030 for 42.50sgd! That is way out for me... i need around 12m 2020 profile. If i remember correctly i ever bought
    2020 for 12sgd at 5m or 6m.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Woah....! The profile they used are thick

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I was at Tech Cheong today afternoon,the cost of 5m 2020 profile is 24sgd
    The price differ if you ask them to cut the 5m alum extrusion,buy the whole 5m is cheaper.

They do not provide cutting services but there is a shop across the road that do the
    cutting at 2sgd per cut.For even cheaper deal at 6m if i remember correctly for 12sgd 2020 profile go to Ubi ave 2
    block 3027 Nee Hock hardeware company and Lian fu metal trading i ever bought it for them
    and they cut it for you the dimension you want.

I compare both 2020 profile from the two shop,the have similar look,only the extrusion pattern is slightly different
    and groove are at the same depth but the one from Tech cheong look awesome!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    I was at Tech Cheong today afternoon,the cost of 5m 2020 profile is 24sgd
    The price differ if you ask them to cut the 5m alum extrusion,buy the whole 5m is cheaper.

They do not provide cutting services but there is a shop across the road that do the
    cutting at 2sgd per cut.For even cheaper deal at 6m if i remember correctly for 12sgd 2020 profile go to Ubi ave 2
    block 3027 Nee Hock hardeware company and Lian fu metal trading i ever bought it for them
    and they cut it for you the dimension you want.

I compare both 2020 profile from the two shop,the have similar look,only the extrusion pattern is slightly different
    and groove are at the same depth but the one from Tech cheong look awesome!
    I've also seen Teck Cheong extrusion before, they look great. Problem is they are not able to precise cut the exact lengths. Might be a problem if building a tank rack. Are there anywhere that can cut precise lengths with reasonable pricings and quality compare to Teck Cheong?

Does Nee Hock or Lian Fu do precise cutting?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I've also seen Teck Cheong extrusion before, they look great. Problem is they are not able to precise cut the exact lengths. Might be a problem if building a tank rack. Are there anywhere that can cut precise lengths with reasonable pricings and quality compare to Teck Cheong?

Does Nee Hock or Lian Fu do precise cutting?
    Yes Nee Hock or Lian Fu do precise cutting but you need to purchase the whole piece of alum around 6m.
    Or you can buy at Teck Cheong and cut at Hiap leong metal blk336 just across the block.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    Yes Nee Hock or Lian Fu do precise cutting but you need to purchase the whole piece of alum around 6m.
    Or you can buy at Teck Cheong and cut at Hiap leong metal blk336 just across the block.
    I also saw overseas have anodized aluminium in colors, Some even have wood grain coatings. I suppose locally we have only silver or black. Gotta squeeze some time out to take a look at all these places first to check on the profiles. I calculated my rack need about 38m but cut into a couple of hundred shorter pieces. Any idea do they charge if a lot of cutting involved?

At $12 per 6m, I'm looking at buying 7 x 6m at only $84 excluding all the fittings. Probably about $200 after all added in. I think it's still cheaper than customize a metal stand

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I also saw overseas have anodized aluminium in colors, Some even have wood grain coatings. I suppose locally we have only silver or black. Gotta squeeze some time out to take a look at all these places first to check on the profiles. I calculated my rack need about 38m but cut into a couple of hundred shorter pieces. Any idea do they charge if a lot of cutting involved?

At $12 per 6m, I'm looking at buying 7 x 6m at only $84 excluding all the fittings. Probably about $200 after all added in. I think it's still cheaper than customize a metal stand
    I have only seen sliver colour here,black so far no. When i bought it they do not charge me on the cutting. Anyway around that block there are more than one shop selling alum,
    Even the block across have it.At Ubi i am not sure about the connectors,you need to ask,at Teck Cheong connector cost at 2.50sgd each. Yes i agree buying a custom made metal stand is cheaper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

will have to drop by these places to find out more. Will update when I can

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

First of all... big thanks to Suzerolt for highlighting this method of building and customizing structures.

I'm also very keen on the possibility of using this material for modular stands and shelving (not just for aquariums, but also for portable storage and display mounts too).

Interestingly, so far no one has worked out the total cost of building an actual stand or rack yet in this thread (which i'd assume would be the main factor, since if its too expensive, it becomes not viable for most people).

So for cost comparison purposes, i did up a simple 2-tier aquarium stand design in the design software to work out the parts required and then got a quotation from Prestech for the cost of the parts.

Here is the basic design:

Its basically a 90cm height 2-tier stand that can hold 2 x 2ft tanks.

At this moment i just base it on 3030-8 aluminum profile... i've absolutely no idea if its too strong or too weak for the typical load of 2ft tanks at around 70-80kg each, so i'm still trying to find out how to calculate load capacity for such materials and structures (i'm not an engineer by training, so am clueless about such things).

Can any aluminum frame experts help with this? How to calculate the load capacity?

Anyways, just for costing purposes, the profile lengths worked out to a total of around 7.2+ meters, and the quoted cost was around $67.80, which is as expected based on Suzerolt's costings.

The 3030-8 interior angle gussets/connectors are additional parts and the stand design required 24 sets of them, at $2.60 each, it totals up to $62.40. I'm not sure if there are cheaper or better alternatives as those are what the company recommended based on the shelf load info i gave.

There are also hidden L-shape designed connectors which look much nicer, but those cost $3.50 each, which would push the cost up higher.

End caps are cheap at just $0.60 each, so 4 of them works out to $2.40.

The foot mounts that can be adjusted for height and leveling came up to $6.40 each, so 4 of them will be $25.60.

So if all add in = $67.80 (profiles) + $62.40 (connectors) + $2.40 (end caps) + $25.60 (foot mounts) = $158.20

I guess the foot mounts could be omitted and we could just use the usual wood pieces-to-prop-up method (or the really cheapo folded paper method), so can probably save $25.60... hence total cost could be lower at just $132.60.

So at this moment, the figures work out to a cost comparison between $130+ for modular aluminum frame stand vs a $70 fixed conventional metal stand.

Do any experienced aluminum frame owners have any inputs on the design and parts choices? I would assume in my non-engineer way of "design" and parts selection (my maximum builder skill is only putting together IKEA shelves), there should be alot of redundant items and unnecessary parts/costs in my amateur stand design... it would be great if there are suggestions on how to save more cost in the parts (especially the connectors).
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 8th Jan 2015 at 17:08.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I feel aluminium profiles are more suited for more complex design stands that are not readily available in LFS. Standard 2-tier 2ft, 3ft, 4ft stands are mass produced by many suppliers henceforth the cheap competitive price. As for complex racks, considering the complicating designs or should I say the many welding process and the time the supplier need to finish 1 job, he/she is gonna charge more to cover for their overhead costs. Unless the supplier is your buddy or whatsoever, it will be costly. Perhaps someone who have customized a rack metal stand before can enlighten us with the price and we can use the same design to ask for a quote with aluminium profiles. I've seen multiple racks sold used in other forums for a couple of hundred dollars. Imagine the cost to customize from shop.

The primary reason I am looking into this system is that I can dismantle myself and probably build another design rack for whatever purpose in the event I want to change set-up. (I know my itchy fingers too well) Then I will not be stuck with a rack that is going to be hard to sell as used in marketplace.

Just saying what I feel and think

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast