4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aluminium Profile Rack Discussion

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yeah, i agree on the aluminium profiles being more cost viable if they were to be constructed into unique or special designs, that would really take advantage of their modular abilities.

I'm now scouring through the net looking at different ideas and frame designs that other people have done, some are really ingenious. Very interesting stuff.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I know many folks DIY aluminum profile light structure because there are few commercial options out there.
    Aluminum profiles are definitely more expensive but it gives the flexibility of say, adjusting the height of the light later on.

For light stand, a 2020 profile is probably enough a 3ft Maxpect Razor

This is a calculator for max deflection. http://www.engineeringcalculator.net...alculator.html
    This is a calculator for max compression loading (critical load to failure) http://www.amesweb.info/CompressionM...x#.VK6BuyuUd8N

I did a quick calculation. Assuming a 3030 profile of 1m height, the critical load to failure per vertical beam (with safety factor of 3.73) is 455kg.
    Assuming 4 legs, the structure can hold about 1820kg.
    A check on maximum vertical deflection of the horizontal beam assuming a distributed 100kg load is about 0.07mm

My engineering calculation knowledge may be rusty after so many years.....so take this with a pinch of salt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, i agree on the aluminium profiles being more cost viable if they were to be constructed into unique or special designs, that would really take advantage of their modular abilities.

I'm now scouring through the net looking at different ideas and frame designs that other people have done, some are really ingenious. Very interesting stuff.
    Cannot agree more. It's very interesting indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

UA, on your design, why not let the leg be in 1 piece straight to the bottom instead of cutting it in 2?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    UA, on your design, why not let the leg be in 1 piece straight to the bottom instead of cutting it in 2?
    Thats a good idea, and it would reduce the number of connectors required too.

In my case, i usually prefer the bottom of the stand to be lifted up abit off the ground so that it's easier to clean and dry the floor underneath, especially if water drip out of the tank during water changes. I was also trying to mimic the design of standard aquarium metal stands as close as possible for the purpose of direct cost comparison.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I like this thread. It is alot like my going into this hobby. Alot of theory and calculation. We all seem so sure about our numbers. But we do not dare pull the trigger.

I am still catching up on the reading. Will get back to it after feeding my mermaid.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    I like this thread. It is alot like my going into this hobby. Alot of theory and calculation. We all seem so sure about our numbers. But we do not dare pull the trigger.

I am still catching up on the reading. Will get back to it after feeding my mermaid.
    Build a cage for your mermaid

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If it is like this i cage and burn it.
    http://www.memecenter.com/fun/298251...blackbeard-wth

If it is like this
    http://www.memecenter.com/fun/152182/mermaids-do-exist
    i built a king size aquarium bed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Aluminium cage and aquarium bed guys... Pls do not go off topic.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Aluminium cage and aquarium bed guys... Pls do not go off topic.
    the only thing that can distract guys from aquarium related stuffs are mermaids. can't blame us

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thats a good idea, and it would reduce the number of connectors required too.

In my case, i usually prefer the bottom of the stand to be lifted up abit off the ground so that it's easier to clean and dry the floor underneath, especially if water drip out of the tank during water changes. I was also trying to mimic the design of standard aquarium metal stands as close as possible for the purpose of direct cost comparison.
    They do sell footing with rubber ends to prevent scratches. This footing is able to be height adjustable.
    Last edited by BFG; 9th Jan 2015 at 11:59.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have 2 plan for the use of this aluminium profile, 1 is for my new marine upgrade tank and the 2nd is a loft bed. Right now, I am still in the planning stage and choosing which profile to use. I would prefer to use the same profile throughout and am looking if there are installer for the aluminium profiles as well as delivery arrangement.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    They do sell footing with rubber ends to prevent scratches. This footing is able to be height adjustable.
    You're right, can use their adjustable foot mounts instead of the 4 small profiles, that'll offset the cost of those extra profile pieces and their corresponding connectors... overall cost works out slightly more for the foot mounts, but then can get the ability to adjust the height to lift and properly level the stand.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I collected my aluminum 2020 profile just now,total of 20 meters,10 end caps,20 triangle brackets and 50 inner brackets.
    2020 profile per 5m is $27sgd,end cap is $0.50sgd and bracket is $2.30sgd ... All at Teck Cheong.

Looking at it make me tired already,there goes my weekend

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

zerofighter, are you building a tank stand or rack?

If you are, do update on whether the 2020 profile frame can take the weight of all the filled up tanks. If 2020 profile is strong enough, then i can re-do my own parts list and save alot on the profile material cost.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

zerofighter, are you building a tank stand or rack?

If you are, do update on whether the 2020 profile frame can take the weight of all the filled up tanks. If 2020 profile is strong enough, then i can re-do my own parts list and save alot on the profile material cost.
    I am building a shelving unit. Actually 2020 on it own is good enough for 2 feet tank. The 2020 profile can be joint together to be a 2040 profile 4040 and so on you just need to buy extra connectors and these set up will
    hold heavy weight.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    I am building a shelving unit. Actually 2020 on it own is good enough for 2 feet tank.
    Yeah, at the moment i'm all confused with working out the load capacity for these things, the online calculators seem to be based on steel profiles which i guess could be different from aluminum.

In the absence of confirmed load capacity data, my next best option to test its strength is do the "cave man" method, either stand or sit on the frame... or just place all the aquarium tanks on it, fill them up full and cross fingers it'll hold up.

The 2020 profile can be joint together to be a 2040 profile 4040 and so on you just need to buy extra connectors and these set up will
    hold heavy weight.
    You've got a really good point there, the 2020 profiles can be combined together to increase their strength, and its a good profile size for most other common applications and structures too. Time to change my material selections, that will save a good chunk of cost.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Zerofighter, possible to post a pic on the cross section of 2020 with comparison with say an old type 50c coin?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by matashi View Post
    Zerofighter, possible to post a pic on the cross section of 2020 with comparison with say an old type 50c coin?

What do you mean by cross section? You want to know the thickness?
    2020 is 20mm x20mm.

At the moment i only have this piece picture taken. For those who are interested in the alum DIY project,do take note that the connecter screws are not phillip head they are all hex socket
    you need a hex key to tighten it. Happy screwing....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I collected my aluminum 2020 profile just now,total of 20 meters,10 end caps,20 triangle brackets and 50 inner brackets.
    2020 profile per 5m is $27sgd,end cap is $0.50sgd and bracket is $2.30sgd ... All at Teck Cheong.

Looking at it make me tired already,there goes my weekend

Looking forward to seeing the final product.
    So you got it cut at a workshop near Teck Cheong?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast