1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Aluminium Profile Rack Discussion

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Trying not to go too off topic in the other thread, thus create this.

Some useful links for aluminium profiles

Sellers:
    http://www.prestech.com.sg

Fun Software for sketching:
    http://www.framexpert.com/products/f...gner/download/

I have been playing with this software for the past 1 hour. Have drawn up my dream multiple tier rack to fit in the weird corner of my balcony. I have never plan to custom make this rack with the usual steel types cos i am almost certain i will never be able to sell it off in the future in the event i decide to quit this hobby or change set-up. After hearing quite a few forumers recommend, youtube and many reviews online about the aluminium profile can withstand heavy weight of tanks. I suddenly feel that i have a beam of hope

In any case i decide to change set-up or quit, the rack can be dismantled for other purpose / DIY i have in mind. Of course this will not be happening overnight. Still need a lot of study and planning to make sure it works well.

Guys please post here all the poisonous links about what this aluminium profile can do. I am a willing party to go to the dark side of DIY.

I'll show my first sketch-up with this fun software

This rack should be able to house
    3 x 3/1/1
    1 x 3/1/1.5
    3 x 2/1/1
    1 x 2/1/1.5

Attachment 46110
    Please give me some comments!

My wife is peeping over my shoulder asking " Is this for fish again?!?!? "

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aluminium Profile Rack Discussion

Is this one piece rack or two pieces?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Are you placing any wood as a base for each tank? Or the tank will sit directly on the profiles? If so, I think it would be good to place a short length in the middle to support the center of the tank.

You may want to consider adding adjustable feet as balconies may not be flat. If so, get them to thread the end of the profile where the feet are screwed on

Also, think of of your wire routing. You may want to provide some space to mount an electrical trunking to hide your tubes & cables.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This is a 3ft and 2ft rack joined. The area used to join also serve as area where I place my wiring and adapters etc.
    Also double up to support each other to prevent the whole rack falling over. Have kids at home, gotta be safe.

Suzerolt you are right, I probably need to add more support in between. The beauty of these racks allow me to add anytime . Loving this system.

Yeah my balcony is not even. Probably will follow tank makers use acrylic plates to even up.

I'm still trying to visualize how am I going to run my filtration. Too many tanks but don't like to have too many canisters. I like my friend's set up of a single sump that filters his rack tanks all together. But may not be a good idea for planted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yep, acrylic plates will work.

This is the adjustable foot i was referring to.
    http://www.prestech.com.sg/Image.asp...0415500995.jpg

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Happy new year!!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Suzerolt View Post
    Yep, acrylic plates will work.

This is the adjustable foot i was referring to.
    http://www.prestech.com.sg/Image.asp...0415500995.jpg
    Can't see image?

Happy new year!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Here is the image of the foot mount :

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

oh yeah i saw this part. just wondering if it really holds, the entire weight resting on that skinny bolt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Pretty sure it will hold. Can calculate. Just email them for load rating. Moreover, there are multiple feet. Just divide accordingly.

Anyway, these are feet used in the manufacturing industry to hold up equipment that weigh a lot more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ooh that good to know. Wondering why this system is still not mainstream now. I see so many benefits over the standard steel racks. Anyone have any idea?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

DIY is not everyone cup of tea,anyway here most of us
    are so busy that we hardly have time or space to do all this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I love to DIY, so anyone needs help to build stuff let me know. Who wants to be guinea pig for this aluminium profile rack?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by matashi View Post
    My wife is peeping over my shoulder asking " Is this for fish again?!?!? "
    Tell her its a shoe rack!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm still trying to visualize how am I going to run my filtration. Too many tanks but don't like to have too many canisters. I like my friend's set up of a single sump that filters his rack tanks all together. But may not be a good idea for planted
    A sump system would still be the most efficient considering the joint water volume. I do not think it is an issue for it not being a good idea for planted tanks. You can use the diffusers in each tank to maximise the efficiency or perhaps install inline diffusers in the outlet hoses. This actually excites me: a Magnetic drive pump to save energy for this set up.

Personally I think it is pretty weird to run so many plant tanks on top and side by side to each other. It does not appeal to me artistically. Perhaps I am not looking at the big picture here but it looks to me like an addiction gone out of control.

Do you know what is the strangest thing? My dad is talking about it too a few days back. The whole story is an absurd story for another new thread.

iPhone rocks.

Ooh that good to know. Wondering why this system is still not mainstream now. I see so many benefits over the standard steel racks. Anyone have any idea?
    Longevity and strength would be my concern here. If it is that good, why isn't the mainstream adopting it? If something is truly good, I think it would be used by most people. I see your points there and I am actually secretly stalking this thread. Drats. It is no longer a secret.

iPhone rocks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha Muar_chee, I also wonder why is it not mainstream yet. Don't want to try and realize the faults. Since your dad already asking for it, why not you do it? Please do invite me to help out, I need to learn.

I have other tanks addiction like discus, angels, shrimps, corys and looking to explore plecos. That's why want multiple tank racks. My approved fish space is only balcony so want to maximize my play area.

Yeah iphone rocks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

A sump & aquariums can be custom built at a pretty low price if you go direct to the tank maker.
    For reference, I got a 2.5ft sump tank built for $120 at Atlantic Glass (@ Upper Serangoon). Currently used for reef tank.

I've know folks who have sump tanks for their successful planted tanks. The level of filtration & bio media you can add to a sump tank is way more than a canister. Maintenance is a breeze too.
    To minimize surface agitation / losing CO2 - Water inlet back into the display tank is under the water level. Water pipe into the sump under the water level as well.
    If its primarily for fishes and lightly planted, then sumps are even better to handle the bio load.
    A UV light or filter can be placed in the sump as well to handle the potential algae issues in a balcony.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha Muar_chee, I also wonder why is it not mainstream yet. Don't want to try and realize the faults. Since your dad already asking for it, why not you do it? Please do invite me to help out, I need to learn.
    You Berry Clever Hor? LOL.

I am just starting my research right now and I have a rough idea of what to do. I will be posting something if it ever does happen.

I have other tanks addiction like discus, angels, shrimps, corys and looking to explore plecos. That's why want multiple tank racks. My approved fish space is only balcony so want to maximize my play area.
    Oh then it sounds perfect. Looks like you might get this going faster than me. I will find out what I can and share it with you here as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Let's all share all info about this aluminium rack before anyone takes the plunge. I might not be going any faster cos I still have existing 2-tiers at balcony. It will take some time to decomm also. Too lazy to do so. Need get more info before going any further.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I love to DIY, so anyone needs help to build stuff let me know. Who wants to be guinea pig for this aluminium profile rack?
    here is your chance....
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...x1x1-tank-rack

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast