Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hungry yamatoes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my yamatoes are hungry i guess...they eat my tetras...there is an algae wafer or something like tat in store rite..??izzit good...?can i use it as a substitute cz i guess the algae in my tank is very low dats y the shrimps feed on the fishes instead..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup....get algae wafers or tablets....its a good substitute for natural algae. Yamatoes are able to catch tetras only if they are really sick and unable to swim anymore or that they are dead.

You sure its Yamatoes you have or is it very large Ghost Shrimps.....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its definitely yamatoes....they grow so big nw eversince they feed on the tetras....i dunno hw many casualties oreadi.....i guess i'll get the algae wafer to give them more food to eat.....they love to eat java moss too rite..?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not only moss......anything leaves soft enough will go as well......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:77859ff81a="sonique"]its definitely yamatoes....they grow so big nw eversince they feed on the tetras....[/quote:77859ff81a]

hey sonique, can borrow a couple of your yamatoes for my tank? cos need to remove 2 tetra from my 4ft shrimp tank.... so was thinking to 'hire' your yamatoes as assasinators.... hahahaha~~~.... like sending in ninjas to do the job.....
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yamatos once ate my stuck zebra danio to the bone

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:9a06a29786="wf7850"][quote:9a06a29786="sonique"]its definitely yamatoes....they grow so big nw eversince they feed on the tetras....[/quote:9a06a29786]

hey sonique, can borrow a couple of your yamatoes for my tank? cos need to remove 2 tetra from my 4ft shrimp tank.... so was thinking to 'hire' your yamatoes as assasinators.... hahahaha~~~.... like sending in ninjas to do the job..... [/quote:9a06a29786]

why don't you use a net?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7355c471="rijac"]why don't you use a net?[/quote:7355c471]

beside the shrimps (cherries, yamatoes, bees, tigers), the tank used to have 50 green tetra, 5 SAE and 1 dwarf puffer.

I decided to convert it into a shrimp only tank cos i saw the tetras attacking the shrimps fries.... so caught them all and transferred to another 4ft... except the remaining 2 who managed to elude me for almost two months liao.... it is no easy feat trying to catch 2 tetras in a 4ft bare tank, less to say it is fully grown with riccia, xmas, erect... and the hundreds of shrimps around

i have also stopped feeding the tetra hoping they will grow weak so that it will be easier for me to catch but they still seem fat and healthy... must be still feasting on the fries and less the 48 other tetras to fight with......
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Get a big net to catch them up just after the lights turn off. They'll be sort of stunned and won't be so fiesty for at least a minute.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:50ec1254d4="|squee|"]Get a big net to catch them up just after the lights turn off. They'll be sort of stunned and won't be so fiesty for at least a minute.[/quote:50ec1254d4]

Tried it with a 10" net but still fail cos they like to hide among my riccia lawn which is about 4" thick....
    any major movement of the net will dislodge the whole lawn.......................

have tried jus when the lights turn on, in the middle of the nite, with a torchlight.... etc etc.... was never successful cos once they sense sth entering the water...swoosh.... off they go under the lawn.....

tt's why if sonique's 'ninja' yamatoes can do the job....
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    get a small mineral water bottle.... cut the top part off (from the neck until where it broadens to the same width as the bottle... invert the top part... stick it into the main bottle part.. so you end up with a mineral water bottle with the neck inside the bottle... then u put the food inside the bottle and stik it in the tank.. hopefully the fish will find their way inside and you can yank the bottle out...

Feedback Score
    i still doubt the yamato will murder your tetra if they are healthy. shrimps are very good in hunting down sick or unhealthy fish.

if u are still willing to find the root cause, try this.....

remove all your loose java moss (those attached is alright).

fishes (especially those cannot do U-turn, e.g. catfish) tend to stuck in thick moss and will eventually become the food for shrimps (all types, not only Yamato)

or your tank too small for too many yamato?
    any info on your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9ab851ab82="rijac"]get a small mineral water bottle....[/quote:9ab851ab82]

tried this method too.... ended up with only the shrimps insides..... and worst still..... two of the shrimps were dead...... ******SOB.....
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Woah... seriously I'd be quite pissed with those two fish if I were you

Looks like the only option is to leave them in there =/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:dc69af4686="|squee|"]Woah... seriously I'd be quite pissed with those two fish if I were you [/quote:dc69af4686]

U r damn right I am PISSED...... and that is spelt with a double-bolded 'P'.....

[quote:dc69af4686="|squee|"]Looks like the only option is to leave them in there =/[/quote:dc69af4686]

yeahlor... bopian lor.... but i hvn't gave up trying..... wait till i really lay my hands on these two one fine day.... will slap them across their butt for feasting on my shrimps.....
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi wf7850, be patient, i had this problem before trying to get a school of cardinals out of a 4ft. It took me a month, on average got 2 each day..it was a daily war for me..

As regards the half bottle method, it is easy to get SAEs (record- got 6 in 15 minutes! one went in, all followed), i duno why, maye SAEs are more gullible...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:a7e329bbe1="kelloggs"]hi wf7850, be patient, i had this problem before trying to get a school of cardinals out of a 4ft. It took me a month, on average got 2 each day..it was a daily war for me..[/quote:a7e329bbe1]
    totally agree...
    jus to update, last wkend, managed to trap the last tetra with a net in one corner when the net got entangled with a wire mesh nearby, to prevent it fr slipping out, used two fingers to hold it within the net while freeing the net within 3 secs. threw the tetra to the top tank.... it sank lifelessly to the bottom...
    guess got too excited and pinched a little too hard.....
    well, one casualty out of a school of 50 tetras, not tt bad either considering it had been frustrating me fer so long.... :P
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project