Country
    Singapore

CRS vs RCS, and other shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Have slowly but surely started to venture into shrimps keeping.
    So for a start, I've went for RCS which is a beginner's choice since they are known to be hardy and breeds easily.

Now I have a question; I've read CRS are considered to be super sensitive to water parameters (or fluctuation for that matter) and are recommended for experienced shrimps hobbyists. But the thing is I see C328 house their CRS in one of the 'rojak' (for a lack of a better term) fish tank, as opposed to those in sealed plastic packs.

Are CRS really that sensitive, or am I overthinking it?

Now there are some shrimp that costs $20 or more a piece..

Below is a pic of my 13 liters tank started up just about a month ago, housing my RCS.

Attachment 46243

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: CRS vs RCS, and other shrimps

Yes, CRS is really that sensitive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Crs would be sensitive to temperature as well. Recommended around 25 Celsius.
    Nice tank by the way!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by atolylica View Post
    Now I have a question; I've read CRS are considered to be super sensitive to water parameters (or fluctuation for that matter) and are recommended for experienced shrimps hobbyists. But the thing is I see C328 house their CRS in one of the 'rojak' (for a lack of a better term) fish tank, as opposed to those in sealed plastic packs.

Are CRS really that sensitive, or am I overthinking it?
    Its usually the cheaper "lower grade" CRS that are kept in those mixed tanks... though i guess you haven't seen the amount of dead fishes and shrimps that have to be regularly removed from those mixed tanks.

C328 puts expensive orange otos and sulawesi shrimps with lots of other random fishes and shrimps in those tiny 2 liter betta tanks, i guess they don't seem to really bother about how sensitive or expensive a fish or shrimp is or what their preferred water conditions are like, as long as can fit they will squeeze them all together.

If you are keen on trying out CRS, i did notice Seaview recently selling bags of 20 x CRS for $40, works out to $2 each, which seems quite okay. Those CRS look like A grade, maybe a few S... but they do look quite presentable for a planted tank and should be abit hardier than the higher grade ones.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA for the input.

I might try get some CRS from C328 and see how they fare. The costs and convenience of traveling to seaview should about even out compared to getting from C328 (stone throw away from my place).

Is there a minimum quantity that I should get with my others 10 RCS?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by atolylica View Post
    Is there a minimum quantity that I should get with my others 10 RCS?
    Depends on your budget i guess... though the more shrimps you get, the better the chances of getting a good mix of males and females, and the higher the chances of breeding.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Small update here..
    Tank is developing pretty well. Mosses are growing well, but the hairgrass is propagating slooowly.

Few of my RCS died which I've no idea why, but my CRS are still doing fine. I thought the latter are more sensitive than the former *shrugs*

Currently having snails infection, which I've added assassins to take them down. I feed my shrimps Mulberry leaves, which tonnes of snails love to gather on the leave. So I just use the leaf as a bait to catch them out. Expensive bait though

Attachment 46738

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice tank. No chiller?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

CRS vs RCS, and other shrimps

Quote Originally Posted by wooty100 View Post
    Nice tank. No chiller?
    Thanks!
    Only a fan used to maintain at 27-28 during day, and 26-27 at night.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So you have to topup water almost everyday right? Strangely, i do encounter more death on RCS in my office tank. Whereby my home nano CRS, still quite stable.
    Both water parameter almost the same. Temperature wise at office is 21~23 degree, home nano is 24~25. Hmm...