Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Monte Carlo got hair beard algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi sifu just flood my tank and I notice a lot of my foreground Monte Carlo have like hair algae and some like brown furry thing cling on the plant what should I do?

tank 5x2.5x2.5
    ada soil as not dosing any feet yet
    light 6x80 oddyssea t5 for 6 hour
    inline diffuse connect to canister
    8 bps at the moment.

have just dose some blueexit(no sure the spelling correct)to fight the algae.now what should I do?i don't think I can intro any livestock inside.is dosing excel ok?and my japonical is getting very brown too.if have to pluck out and replant I will go crazy as is a 5 ft tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Monte Carlo got hair beard algae

tagging alone too, have it growing on my hair grass

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

image.jpg

Hi hi guys what algae is this?which treatment to be done?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I no shifu but I think your the tank too little the plant to have the light on for 6 hours. Use ALGAEXIT, Should solve the problem. Cut down light timing to 4 hours/ day and momitor the situation. Last but not least, have frequent water change. 10% at one time. Hope it helps.

Sent from Outer Space
    Plants are like women, the more you try to understand them, the more you can't. Best to leave it as it is, you will see wonders,sometimes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You are already using an Algae Removal Solution, so just keep at it and as per the recommendations. Do not dose more than one kind of solution at any given time unless recommended.

As with all problems, you must find out the root cause so that you can solve your problem effectively.

I noted that you are using ADA soil and that is a good starting move. However, your ADA Soil comes super-packed with nutrients that the initial phase might be a little tricky. The ADA guides and documentation recommends that you do daily water changes during the first week of your set up with their products. If you also observe, when Amano set up his tank, he plants the tanks densely from the start to make full use of the super-packed-nutrient-soil.

Based on your pictures, I can only see that portion to be sparsely planted. At a CO2 rate of 8 bps, I wouldn't say that there might be an imbalance of the 3 important factors but I would think the nutrient levels in your tank is too much for your plants to absorb. I can think of a couple of solutions for you and I will place them from easiest to hardest.

1. Continue dosing your algae removal solution and hope for the best. This would be the easiest as you will only need to dose your tank diligently daily then spend more effort and time praying for the best. No wet hands, no mess, just less sleep.

2. Continue dosing your algae removal solution, add more 'hungry' plants and hope for the best. This would be the next easiest as you will need to diligently dose your tank daily, get your hands wet a little but putting in more plants and then still spend a considerable effort and time to pray for the best. You can get hornworts or wistera to plant in the background. These plants are super good for absorbing nutrients and will quickly cover your background with their lush growth. The only con is that this might not suit your tank vision if you haven't planned for it or you do no like their shape. Alternatively, you can consider to use floating plants like frogbits or salvinia nattans. As good as they are recommended by others here as they only absorb the water nutrients and are free to take as much CO2 they require from the air, rather than from the tank. I feel that they are more of a hindrance and block the light out for the plants in the tank.

3. Do a water change of more than 75%. Before adding in new water, manually remove as much algae as you can either by trimming away the affected parts, scrubbing the hardscape or even plucking it out from the affected plants. You can further re-enforce by doing localized excel/hydrogen peroxide treatment on the parts where you cannot get rid of the algae without stirring the tank too much. Take this time to also add in more new plants if possible since most of the water is out of the tank. I would this is the most 'guaranteed' method but it still requires monitoring and further maintenance. I find this solution the best and have done it myself only once. But my problem is that I did it after lifestock is ended so most of my shrimps were affected.

In fact, I did all 3 solutions before and I have varied results. Good luck for your tank and I will be looking forward to your updates.
    Last edited by mUAr_cHEe; 20th Jan 2015 at 08:34. Reason: typo and formatting.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Water circulation is important too. It will ensure an even distribution of nutrients. ADA soil is indeed potent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk