Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: To root or not to root

Feedback Score

To root or not to root

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I always thot that plant grows root to secure and absorb nutrients thus allowing good growth. But recent reading on trimming plant suggest pulling out over grown plant, trim the base and plant the top part back. Wah very confused. need advise... pls.

Plant like lily,blyxa etc need roots i understand, but how u guys go about trimming Cabomba aquatica, Eustralis stellata, rotala wallichi etc? Do u guys allow dense root to form or simply pull out long plant and trim and plant back? I believed those plant of mine already from thick roots

Thanks in advance.
    ==================================
    GOAL WITHOUT TIME LIMIT IS ONLY A DREAM.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: To root or not to root

[quote:2bcc2b103b="voodoo"]I always thot that plant grows root to secure and absorb nutrients thus allowing good growth. But recent reading on trimming plant suggest pulling out over grown plant, trim the base and plant the top part back. Wah very confused. need advise... pls.

Plant like lily,blyxa etc need roots i understand, but how u guys go about trimming Cabomba aquatica, Eustralis stellata, rotala wallichi etc? Do u guys allow dense root to form or simply pull out long plant and trim and plant back? I believed those plant of mine already from thick roots

Thanks in advance.[/quote:2bcc2b103b]

for me, I simply de-root them, trim to a desired height then replant them accordingly. The rooting system for aquatic plants is for absorbing of nutrients in the substrate, for certain species (very slow growing species) compared to a very fast stem plant might varies. I always trimmed the rosette species before I plant them and never de-root them unless necessary. plants like cryptos, might also react it such intrusion and melt in the process. While plants like the echinodorus, grows root system which can reach all corners of the tank.. making it quite impossible to remove once it has established themselves

Feedback Score

Re: To root or not to root

[quote:0836121f59="voodoo"]I always thot that plant grows root to secure and absorb nutrients thus allowing good growth. But recent reading on trimming plant suggest pulling out over grown plant, trim the base and plant the top part back. Wah very confused. need advise... pls.

Thanks in advance.[/quote:0836121f59]

it depends on the kind of plant... most stem plants you can just pull them out cut of the bottom and plant the top part back... sword plants i believe you just trim off the longer leaves at the base...... ryzome plants you just cut off old or big leaves... i think some kind of plants u just snip the off and they will grow back....