1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Purple Cherry Shrimp?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Right after I topped fresh water into my tank, all my cherry shrimps came out of hiding and starts scurrying around the tank. I assume that is a good sign as I have read before of how fauna will get excited whenever there is a water change as it is similar to a raining situation in their natural enviroment. Some species will even get into spawning mode.

One of the cherry shrimps caught my eye. It is purple in colour! I had a bacteria infection in my tank some time ago but I noticed that the situation has already stablised. At first I thought it was dead but when I tried to pick it up with my tweezers, it started scurrying away!

I just did some research via Google and it is mentioned that the purple gene of cherry shrimps are still present in some. So apparently this is normal and I should be glad to get the 'mutant'. As the data is quite old, I am not sure if this is still accurate. Are any of you here familiar with this situation or have the same thing happen to you as well?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Purple Cherry Shrimp?

That's so cool! Post a pic?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I did not managed to get a good shot of it. I will try again later if I managed to spot it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've spotted purplish RCS in my tanks before too... it also depends on lighting, some of them appear purplish or very dark red in different lighting. I guess it's just another color variant that they throw out at random, not sure if anyone has successfully line bred and stabilized that type of coloration yet though.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, do you still have purple cherries? My wife is interested. And I wanted to surprise her